Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

A few years back my neighbors cleared several (bunches) of acres at the back of my land to make way for a pasture. They fenced it in...looks great. They have horses back there now. They had hoped for green pastures.

Turned out- mud. Tons of it. And what once was wooded forest on their side is mud slides. And what once was wooded forest, natural area on my end is now swamp.

I just don't know what to do.

My neighbors don't feel any responsibility to make any corrections to my property. And legally, they don't have to....as 'time' is on their side. I should have made 'complaint' within the first year...and being a good neighbor, I didn't.

I enjoy living out in the woods and just would rather fix things rather than fight....but how in the world do I fix this? I am a do it yourself-er....but I'd call someone for this...but who?

This isn't accessable by road and is 2 acres away from the nearest road. After giving it alot of thought....there is a creek that sits about another 2 acres....but the neighbor didn't drain into it for some reason...they let it drain into my property....and it isn't the best smelling stuff.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I'm sorry to heat about that. One of our neighbor's in TN did the same thing. We talked to them and they never fixed anything and they own the equipment to do it.

How much property do you have?

I would call in a grader and ask what they can do. You might be able to dig out a ditch on your side of the property line to divert the water. Is the creek on your property? If not can you get permission to drain their overflow into the creek. If you can drain into the creek, you can run a pipe underground and drain it out.

To block off the new "mud" view see if you can find evergreens or bamboo. Bamboo grows and spreads like crazy but if you leave a section on both sides of it you can mow it down and maintain it. If you can't mow it be careful because bamboo is very invasive. It also won't grow through water like a creek.

Good luck and check with a local grader. A grader will drop their equipment, probably a backhoe, at the road and drive it into your property.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:48 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Now that they have done this, it may be a protected wetlands area. Trench on your property to facilitate surface runoff, and plant water loving trees. You'll have to check to see what is allowed, but willows and poplar and locust come to mind IF the land is far enough away from your buildings that they are safe from falling trees.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
In the many years I was in the insurance claims business I handled several situations like yours. You may have a legitimate claim for damages against your neighbor.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
In the many years I was in the insurance claims business I handled several situations like yours. You may have a legitimate claim for damages against your neighbor.
The OP's post says that too much time has passed for her to have a legal claim against her neighbor.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
OP doesn't say that she consulted an attorney. I'd contact the insurance company and find out for sure if I had a claim.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Does the Agricultural Department at one of your local colleges offer advice/instruction? I know some big colleges will come out & give advice for free.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Call a county extension agent to come out and take a look and offer suggestions. This could fall under the categories of soil/water conservation. The landowner who made the alterations may have responsibilities that they overlooked at the time they cleared the land.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
It also might be an issue to the state water quality and/or environmental authorities.

I have an acquaintance whose neighbor did something similar except that he build a pond to capture the runoff. When that pond overflowed during a period of heavy rain, the sudden influx of water flooded my friends house to a depth of a couple of feet. He DOES have a claim against his neighbor and the state is after him too. This is in Texas.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Your local government's stormwater management department also might be able to get involved, especially if the neighbor did the work without the proper permits or clearances. I've seen people cited and required to return the land to the original contours after being found to not have the appropriate permits (local, state or federal). This next observation is going to vary as to location but many areas are now requiring that stormwater be contained/handled on the original property or, if channeled off-site, various structures and remediation/mitigation to be done. This is especially true if the runoff is adding to the nutrient load of local waterways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House