Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

what a wonderful transformation. way better then the knotty pine IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 23,488 times
I love it in the white! I do love knotty pine, but too much is so dark and dated in a bad way.

Thanks for posting the pics! I love the bright and airy look!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I did design for a while, while some may like your natural pine look. The new up to date look is fantastic looking. Crisp and clean, with a beachy, cottage feeling. The spaces look more large i love the look in your home.

You now have a clean, homey feeling, and the spaces look more dated. A lot of people i know who do have a lot of wood, i have noticed over the years has pained it.

Always a prefence of taste, amd what you the homeowner loves. I love the look, and by the way the crisp white, and the blue book cases, i love the look. Great job, and some great painting skills

What i really love besides your new updated bright cheerful, cottage look, is the superior coverage of the paint you chose to use. Great job, we have done tons of painting from everything you can think of. Some paints are better then others, yours did a wonderful job with the coveragee of the pine.

Last edited by california-jewel; 01-31-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I think going lighter was the best way, since it's in a beach community. If you lived in the forest, I'd opt to leave it dark but I think your choice is perfect. Great job!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I noticed this thread got bumped back up so I thought I'd report back... now two years after we first painted. The Bin primer did a GREAT job and there has been no bleed thru and paint has held up very well.
I love Bin. Kilz is disappointing. Love the new look. Not sure I would have done matte since it's hard to clean. Looks great though.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,305 times
Talking Knotty Pine...yuck! A relic from the 70's!

I honestly believe that people who love knotty pine were exposed to it while it was still a new trend in the 70's...meaning they are likely a few generations older and not necessarily aware of modern decorating trends. No hard feelings meant by this--but there are many myths about knotty pine that persist.

I've heard "oh, it's so expensive, you shouldn't touch it!"

Well- no, it was actually the cheapest solid wood you could get which is why is was so popular and is in so many older homes.

Also heard, "if you paint over it, you'll ruin the home's value!"

Really? Because just about everyone I've met under age 50 thinks it's pretty hideous, and
I get hundreds of questions a year on how to deal with it- tear it out, paint it, or sheetrock over it?
It's probably the first issue homeowners want to tackle when they buy a home with wood walls inside.
So, the presence of knotty pine actually detracts from the home's value for the majority of home buyers.

And finally, some people think it's "gorgeous." Good for them- let them keep their knotty pine
in their own house.

Personally, I think painted tongue-and-groove walls can be incredibly attractive and modern looking. They texture/interest of wood but are clean, open, and bright. Paint that knotty pine!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,709 times
I love it. Light and airy and modern! We have wood walls and it's really rough feeling like cedar fencing. Strange what some people put in their houses (it was here when we bought it). The story is the owner rescued it from a sunken ship and hand picked each piece and placed it on the wall?! anyway, it's in our basement and it made it really dark. I was afraid the little ones would get splinters. So, instead of sheetrocking over, we decided to "work" with it and try to preserve some of the oldness and history of the house. We put white wainscoating on the bottom half and sprayed the top half a dark bluish green. My hubs picked out the color and I thought it would be too dark for a basement. But, adding the wainscoating and then the paint, not only updated the room, it also brightened it. We also took up some of the old carpet and put in travertine in the walkway. I love it!!

BeforeYes, we did it. Painted Knotty Pine before and after-dscf2531b.jpg

AfterYes, we did it. Painted Knotty Pine before and after-1b.jpg

Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Hi there could you post some pics of the kitchen? I love what you did! My husband and I are going to do the same soon on a house on the lake and we still are going to paint the pine!! so I would love to see as many pics as you have of your house to get some ideas! Or I could give you my email to send some whatever is easiest for you.

thanks so much

Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I love knotty pine. It's warm and cozy. If it is authentic to your house, I would say "keep it". Or look for another house.

Not everyone wants "light and bright" or "open concept" rooms or homes.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love knotty pine. It's warm and cozy. If it is authentic to your house, I would say "keep it". Or look for another house.

Not everyone wants "light and bright" or "open concept" rooms or homes.
But why does every house have to be a time capsule that never changes? Just because something was authentic or original to a house doesn't make it good (especially not to everyone).

Also, if someone owns a house, why should THEY move/look for another house instead of painting over it just because OTHER people (who don't own or live in the house) like knotty pine but the actual owners of the house do not? Not trying to be rude, but I just don't really understand that logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House