Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times

Advertisements

I just moved into an apartment 2 weeks ago. The landlady has said she would repair the dishwasher or replace the dishwasher on numerous occasions, but she is a ditz and has now delegated this project to me.

The spring in the dishwasher door is broken. When you open it, it slams onto the floor. The dishwasher isn't anchored to the counter, so it moves around as you are opening/closing, etc. The previous tenant has pulled it out because there was insulation on the floor. There is also a very musty odor in the kitchen. I have my dehumidifier placed right next to the dishwasher and it is pulling out a gallon of water per day. (I live 3 miles from the ocean in what is essentially a reclaimed swamp so I'm not surprised that I need a dehumidifier). But I'm starting to wonder if the musty odor is caused by some sort of leak...the tenant pulled the dishwasher out, then jammed it back in to avoid dealing with it.

Is it possible to replace the spring in the door or should we get a whole new dishwasher??? (landlady is okay with either, she just can't decide and is out of town due to family emergency)

If we have it repaired we can take care of any leak and have it attached correctly. OR we can replace it and also resolve all those problems.

I have no idea how much repairing a dishwasher door spring would cost. Advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
The landlady should take responsibility for repairing, or replacing the dishwasher. It's part of the apartment right? Is there something in your lease that places responsibility on you? You shouldn't have to put up with a musty odor either. I would take a look at your lease and see where you stand. If you try to repair and botch it up, that's on you. If she is okay with either, get a new machine and make sure it's installed correctly. This shouldn't be on you, but look at the lease.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Put this back on the landlord. You don't know how much damage the previous tenant did. Once you start working on it, you're going to own all the problems and then some, whether you're the cause or not. Flakey landlords are going to twist everything and make it all your fault and will expect you to pay for it. It doesn't sound like your experience at this location is going to have a happy ending.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
The landlady should take responsibility for repairing, or replacing the dishwasher. It's part of the apartment right? Is there something in your lease that places responsibility on you? You shouldn't have to put up with a musty odor either. I would take a look at your lease and see where you stand. If you try to repair and botch it up, that's on you. If she is okay with either, get a new machine and make sure it's installed correctly. This shouldn't be on you, but look at the lease.

Good luck!
I'm just trying to find out the information since she is out of town dealing with a family emergency. I would not actually do the repairs myself. She is willing to pay.
I just want to know of the repair of the spring in the door is expensive. New dishwasher on clearance at Lowes was $385.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:25 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
About the most I would do in your shoes is try to contact an appliance store for a free examination and estimate. If the landlady refuses to pay and you have made the deal... you see where that is going. Any approval MUST be directly through her, not you.

FWIW, replacing a spring is nothing if you can find the proper part. Leaks could be anywhere in a kitchen and unrelated tot the washer, so the mold issue needs to be handled individually. I''d be poking around under the sink, pulling the refrigerator forward, and removing the access panel at the base of the dishwasher to look for leaks and mold. Sum total, that is about a half hour of peeking around with a good flashlight and using a screwdriver on a couple of screws.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I have replaced door springs on dishwashers before, it's not a hard job. The springs themselves are not expensive.

With all the "green" regs in place now, that new dishwasher may not work near as well as the old one.

The musty odor, though, sounds like something is leaking water somewhere, you need to check that out.

Pretty much what Harry said. You don't want to go taking this apart yourself, let the landlord decide what to do, technically it's her dishwasher.

BTW the dishwasher is perfectly usable as it is, if you just let the door down gently.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Go for a new one. We had a DW that wouldn’t pump out the after and the tech even advised us to go new, though it was only 4 years old. Not only would it have been $400 to fix, but every year they become more efficient, using less water and electricity. Also, MUCH quieter.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
It depends on make/model, but the spring for the door is often a spring, a nylon cord, and a plastic connector. The repair kit is about $50. Your landlady would have to pay a plumber for repair, minimum charge is likely to be in the $200+ range.

If there is a water leak due to a corroded fitting, broken drain or supply hose, etc that will be an additional cost as well.

If she can get a new one installed for the $400-$500 range, that would be her smart choice.

As a tenant you have done enough.

If you were a reasonably handy homeowner I would pull it out, find the source of the leak, if any, order parts and replace.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
My wife suggested that you thoroughly document everything that's going on, take pictures, write notes. Just to protect yourself if or when you move. You don't want to lose your security deposit through no fault of your own.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My wife suggested that you thoroughly document everything that's going on, take pictures, write notes. Just to protect yourself if or when you move. You don't want to lose your security deposit through no fault of your own.
Well, she didn't keep the security deposit of the tenant who took the washer and dryer when she left, and she didn't keep the security deposit of the guy who broke the dishwasher (Because IMHO that spring did not just break spontaneously) so I'm pretty confident she's going to give me my deposit back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House