Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 173,215 times

Advertisements

We are reviewing our electric plan and trying to figure out where it would be a great idea to have outlets - especially if they are not to be at a standard height of the floor (for example, raised outlets to hang a flat screen tv and so on)

any ideas of where you would ideally stick outlets in your house that would make life more convenient? And at what height?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Under the counter space for something like a trash compactor (my absolute favorite appliance other than a microwave).

Where your flat screen TV would be (high enough so no ugly cords).

If possible, on the floor in the living spaces, for an end table lamp for example.

Outside for holiday decorations

Outside for outdoor lighting transformers

Outside to plug your laptop into so you can lay on your chaise lounge and post on City-Data.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
I actually really like having an outlet in my coat closet on the lower floor. I've got a wireless printer that I leave in the closet since the office is upstairs.

Along with the flat screen TV outlet, take into consideration if you're gonna put in a surround sound system, speakers, etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
OK, after pulling wire in homes for 28 years, here is my take on location of outlets. Of course follow the recommended minimum that is required by the National Electrical Code, but remember that the code is the MINIMUM, not always the best lay-out.

Living rooms, Dining rooms, Family Rooms: At least one outlet within 12" of every corner, at least one outlet by/under each window, and along the walls as required by code (one every 12'). If there is a location that you know the Entertainment center is going to sit, put in a quad outlet (two "regular" outlets) so you have 4 places to plug into. If you are going to have a flat screen TV, put one high (I like about 6' to center of outlet) so the cords are hidden.

Kitchens, Put in more than you think you will need -- trust me on this one . If you have upper cabinets that are open on top and not directly under a valance, add an outlet above them that is controlled with a switch so you can add accent lights easily later if you decide you want them. I also like to put in an outlet inside a cabinet (either upper or lower unit) for cell phone chargers. That way they are handy, yet out of sight and keeps the counters clear of chargers and cords. I started doing this years ago when I noticed that a LOT of people were charging their phones in the kitchen and the chargers were always blocking an outlet and frankly in the way on the counter.

Bedrooms. Again one within 12" of each corner, as well as one in the center of each wall. If there is one logical place for the bed frame, then one on each side of the space a King sized bed would take up instead of one in the middle. If there is one logical place for the bed to sit, then on the opposite corner about 18" down from the ceiling I would put an outlet in case you decide to add a wall mounted TV or flat screen in the bedroom.

One in each hallway at least. It makes sense to have one under, or right next to each window. That way when the lady of the house decides each window needs a light in during the holidays, you don't have to drag out the dozen or so small cheap extension cords. I also would recommend that each outside corner of the house has an outlet, as well as by each outside door. At least one or two places that there is an outlet in an eve overhang that is switched from someplace in the house for Christmas lights.

I know you asked about outlets, but another thing worth mentioning is lighting in each room. It doesn't add much at all to the cost during rough-in to make each ceiling light box a fan rated box and run either a 12/3 or 14/3 wire between the switch box and the light box. That way if you or someone else ever decides to put a ceiling fan in that room it is all set and there is not a LOT of work involved in changing out the box for one rated to hang a fan on, and it is all set to control the fan and lights separately.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Follow Bydands advice. But bottom line is....it's not where we the home owner wants the outlets. The Electrical code dictates to us where they will and will not go.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Bydand has it covered but I didn't see clock outlets. That might because they are part of the code or I'm the only one in the world who still has electric wall clocks.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM

65 posts, read 371,993 times
Great summary Bydad. Similar to his kitchen cabinet recommendation, I think outlets in the drawers in your bathroom vanity are very helpful for hair dryers, etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Kitchen receipticles at counter space- instead of clutering a nice tile/granite b/splash use strip receipticles mounted under the wall cabinets. Some have built-in GFCI. If not, just use a GFCI breaker.
If you have a island, use pop-up receipticle towers (they are flush with the counter top when not in use).
Also, to help clean up the splash use a air switch for the disposal- mounted at the sink instead of a switch on the wall.
I also like to use under counter lights that have built-in switches- then gang them together so there is no switch in the wall.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Near phone jacks. Nowadays most phones or the base for cordless units need to be plugged in to an electrical outlet. In my house most of the phone jacks are far from outlets and so I am limited to a simple corded phone without answering machine, etc.

In my last house there was one outlet that was about 4' up the wall where 2 hallways met, about in the center of the house and was great for plugging in the vacuum cleaner and able to reach almost the whole house from that one spot. It was a small house, only about 940 sq. ft. on the main floor.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
All are good so far, and BTW, I did do all of those when I designed and built my own house.

In Addition, under soffits for icicle lights, on your light pole for lights, etc.

At the bottom of stairs for Christmas lights up the newel post and handrails. Also, above the fireplace mantle.

I have all my front outdoor receptacles run by switches inside my front closet, so I can turn on/off christmas lights from inside.

I also have my front light switched with an emergenct 911 switch, so in an emergency, it can blink on/off, alerting fire/police/EMS.

I also ran UF wire down the driveway in case anyone down the road wanted to place lights along driveway, etc. Also, Schedule 80 conduit under across driveway and walkways for any future wiring. Also around bottom of decking, etc for radios, etc.

Also out in flowerbeds for low voltage lighting, etc.

I also put extra outlet near sump pump, electrical panel, boilers, etc for any future work. I also put a sealed chaseway from basement to attic near panel box for the future. I suggest installing receptacles and central vac outlets where needed before drywall for future central vac if ever wanted.

I also would screw a 3/4 inch pipe strap over the furnace switch cover, so no ping pong balls, etc, could hit it and turn it off.

hope that helps......Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House