Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 PM

140 posts, read 834,836 times

Advertisements

Below is a picture of my kitchen with sheets of glass tile back splash taped to the wall. I wanted to get some opinions before tiling. We would be using bright white grout. What do you guys think?

(Counter top)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,054 times
I'll step up with the first negative comment : )
Beautiful tile, goes great with the counter top but not with the cabinets. Sometimes photos don't show true colors, but it looks like you have a nice rich red undertone on the wood of the cabinets. The tile looks like a cool grayish blue-green which seems an odd contrast.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks Gary, I was thinking it would have looked good if the cabinets were white. The cabinets are cinnamon cherry and the picture of the tile is true to color.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I agree. They gray in the tiles clash with the richness of the brown/cherry of the cabinets. That is a hard combination to pull off. I love gray walls, but it doesn't match the beige in my floor tiles. I guess it is a color you have to plan ahead for if you want to use it in your decor. I've seen it done....but only by seasoned designers who know how to balance it all out.

Those are GORGEOUS cabinets!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
I'd get the tile but in a different color. I'm sure they make a red, brown, tan tile that would set off the cabinets and make the counter top pop. I don;t mean all red, just jump the color of the glass tile up a notch.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
I think you could pull it off.
It appears the floor tile(?) is in the same tone as the mosaic tile.
The stainless is the gray. What's the wall color for the rest of the kitchen?
Have you thought about some stainless or pewter h'ware for the cabinets?

One suggestion regardless of what tile you need up with- loss the current backsplash. Tile splash on top of the 4" splash that's already there will look tacky.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM

The color of the walls in the kitchen are a custard yellow. All the other room walls (living, dining, entry way) are a blue with gray undertone. I really don't want to get rid of the current 4' back splash as we just had the counter tops installed and that was an extra $400. And I defiantly don't want to add any tile with red into. The cabinets are the closest thing to red in my house as I'm not a fan. Maybe we are better off not adding a full backslash and leaving it as it is. Cabinet hardware is brushed nickel and going to be installed later this week. Floors are slate.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,250 times
I like the tile but I don't think it goes with the cabinets. I've seen some frosted glass squares that would look really nice with that counter and those cabinets. Rather than little pieces, each piece of glass is as high as space and they can be whatever width you want. It adds some "pizazz" but is still a neutral color.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 PM

Can you show me an example? I'm having a hard time imagining what you are describing.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Looks like you have Thomasville Cabinets bought from the rip off store. Sorry you overpaid for the cabinets but your choice of backsplash is great. Those glass tile 12x12 mats are all the rage right now. In a recent survey in the NKBA trade journals that exact tile in your picture accounts for 64% of every kitchen remodel choice.

So take that with a grain of salt. If you dont want to have what everyone else has then choose something else. If you like it then to hell with what others have then go for it. I design for a living and I like your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House