Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times

Advertisements

The debate on steam vs. water vapor seems to get worse as time goes on.

When liquid water in a free environment is heated to boiling, SOME of the water will go into the air through evaporation, and SOME will pass directly to the vapor state and be "steam" briefly, until the temperature goes below the boiling point, converting the "steam" to supersaturated air. You can claim to generate steam if you have a device that somehow boils water, but that steam may last only for a fraction of a second.

If you have an enclosed space, such as the boiler of a steam engine, then the air in that space can be displaced by the steam over time, as the steam is used to drive a piston or turbine. AFTER the air is displaced, the vapor state of the water is what remains. THAT is steam. The steam IN a teakettle does become steam, but once it is released through the spout or whistle and cools to below boiling by mixing with air, it is supersaturated air with hot water vapor.

In common language, and because much of the population no longer has any interface with steam engines, the word has devolved into having a meaning of hot water vapor that could be hot enough to cause tissue damage.

The cleaning power of hot water and steam come from heating semi-solid greases to a liquification point where they can be dislodged from a surface they have adhered to. An example is the use of live steam cleaners to remove grease from restaurant grease filters, or to clean engine parts. The cleaning comes from the heat, the blast that moves crud, and the increased ability of any cleaning chemical to reach surfaces and prevent re-attachment of the greases.

In the old days, many clothes were placed in a tub and the water brought to boiling. Given that the purported steam in a washer has no "blast" to drive greases completely away from the clothes, it is likely less effective than simply using very hot or boiling water. There can be value to a water heating element in a washer, because many water heaters now only provide a lukewarm water. As for "steam" though, the way it is advertised? Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,665,895 times
Gimmicks.....

I've had low tech top load washers and high tech front load digital washers.

Hands down, the low tech washers did the best job.

Right now I have a top load speedqueen washer with mechanical timer controls. No digital anything. $700. Cleans clothing perfectly. No smell, no repairs, no issues.

I love hight tech stuff, just not on my washer, refrigerator, etc.....

Old 04-18-2020, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 1,128 times
Default Steam cycle - Whirlpool/Maytag/Kenmore WASHER

Hello....

Whirlpool/Maytag front load WASHER with Steam......
(Sears Kenmore probobly similar)

Heater element located in sump area, near pump, at bottom of drum.

Cycle adds 20 minutes to wash time if selected with button.

Some small amount of water left in sump chamber at bottom of washer is boiled, releasing steam into drum. At same time small fan turns on.

After 10 minutes can feel very hot mist/steam come out vent in back of washer. Assume drum volume is filled with water vapor at similar temperature.

During cycle, drum rotates every so often to tumble clothes.

Assume boiling water releases saturated steam at 212 degrees.

Steam cools and clothes heat up while tumbling.

Will figure out how to measure temp of cloths and exhaust steam. May try fancy new thermometer used to check for flu that has a surface temp setting (that works with stove element to 200-250 degree range) and get back if works.

Stay Healthy....

PS: Dryer with steam would require filling a reservoir prior to use. When runs out, a message appears to add more.
(Some dryers have water hose to connect with cold water supply, like washer.)

Old 04-18-2020, 12:23 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,206,326 times
Old thread, but: more germophobe technology. At least it doesn't clog sewer systems.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:58 PM

Hi again....

Hoping to throw face masks in washer, though perhaps could boil them in a pot would would work better.

Nice to know that clothes worn inside grocery store can get get 'sanitized'. (My hot water tank set to 123 degrees.)

(Nobody mentioned virus that could stick to your hair, so I guess a good shower after shopping would be in order. Could wear a hat or wool watch cap, but with the mask would feel like I was a bank robber.)

Washer is new for me, High Efficiency thing strange, since washer doesnt get all sloshy/sudsy like the front loader I had in 60's.

Basically gets clothes saturated in water and slaps them around as drum moves back and forth. Assume water with dirt drops into sump, below drum rather than sloshing around inside with the clothes. Kinda explains the ultra spin speed thing.

Impressed with spin cycle speed, though.

Wonder how long until washer and dryer combined.

Spin cycle gets things dry enough that, in a pinch, can don freshly laundered (and slightly damp) pants and let them dry while wearing, especially with wash and wear and polyester.

Seems wouldn't take too much technology to blow some hot/dry air into washer to finish off process. Maybe finding a material to make flexible door boot and other water tight seals that can take heat and dryness is one of issues.

Stay well...

Old 04-18-2020, 01:48 PM

Hi...

Here we are in 2020, and just got a front loader with steam from work. About $300 in parts and is like new.

Surprised how little water it uses. Just sort of gets clothes soaking wet and slaps them around back and forth in drum. Assume dirt and water run into sump part of drum rather than have clothes sloshing about in a lake of dirty water.

Seems to work, especially with ultra high speed spin after every cycle that makes clothes almost dry.

It is said that some HE laundry detergents and fabric softeners sometimes have stuff in them that can be 'activated' by steam temps.

These days am sheltering in place with elderly parents in 80's and 90's and I am no 'spring chicken', so 'steam' and 'sanitize' cycles attractive for clothes worn to the store, especially since have hot water turned down to mitigate scalding incidents during bath, shower and washing hands.

Just thought... Gotta steam iron in basement, so will try that to sanitize face masks, as none to be had at stores, and none coming anytime soon.

BTW...

Nobody says anything about getting virus in hair while out and about, so am also taking shower after shopping. Could wear hat but mask and hat makes me feel like a bank robber. (Armed robbery at drug store next to Safeway, where I happened to be shopping. Amazing police response! Didn't catch the guy though.... Wonder what type of mask he was wearing?)

Stay Healthy....

Old 04-18-2020, 02:21 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in1 View Post
These days am sheltering in place with elderly parents in 80's and 90's and I am no 'spring chicken', so 'steam' and 'sanitize' cycles attractive for clothes worn to the store, especially since have hot water turned down to mitigate scalding incidents during bath, shower and washing hands.
Um, you don't need "sanitizing" in addition to soap and water. The soap does two things: disrupts the virus fatty lipid membrane which holds it together. Effectively dissolves/disables it. It doesn't kill...but that doesn't really play into it; viruses aren't alive. The soap also makes surfaces slippery which makes it easier to remove contaminated particles.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Surprised how little water it uses. Just sort of gets clothes soaking wet and slaps them around back and forth in drum. Assume dirt and water run into sump part of drum rather than have clothes sloshing about in a lake of dirty water.
This is nothing new for front-loaders. At least, ones of the last 20 years. And yes, a good ultra-speed spin produces clothes almost dry enough to wear. Tremendous efficiency boost over even modern top-loaders.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:03 PM

17,715 posts, read 29,859,001 times
Quote:
just got a front loader...fabric softeners
Do not use fabric softener in a front loader.
Unless you want mold.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do not use fabric softener in a front loader.
Unless you want mold.
FLs are no more prone to mold than toploaders, especially in this (nil humidity) climate and if you practice leaving the door open.

Never had mold in mine, over 8+ years in a fairly humid climate and a somewhat poorly ventilated laundry room.

But my recommendation would be "Don't use [useless] fabric softeners at all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House