Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 16,064 times

Advertisements

I am buying a new home in VA and signed the contract in June 2009.Bulder supposed to deliver my home in Nov 2009 but he postponed closing to Jan 2010 due to costruction issues (basement was flodded during construction).They stopped the construction work and did some remedy/patch work to stop the water into basement but I am not sure the issue got fixed or not because there is lot of water in the basement and they are saying water is coming from sump-pump.Now they are saying that they are wating for power connection to start the sump-pump.They are telling me same story (wating for power connection) since Jan 1st week.

Now he is saying that it will take couple of weeks to get the power line and home will be finished by end of April but I don't have any trust on him

As I know my neighbour is aslo in same situation like me but he is approaching realestate attorney and he is not giving me any info even if I offer to share the expenses. This delay is costing me lot of money, mental tesnions/worries, frustation and keep on postponing some important decessions (job change,kids scholl etc..)
I am so much confused and I don’t know what to do? Could some one give me some idea what to do?

Would you guys advice me to contact realestate attorney ?

Thanks in advance
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkris2010 View Post
I am buying a new home in VA and signed the contract in June 2009.Bulder supposed to deliver my home in Nov 2009 but he postponed closing to Jan 2010 due to costruction issues (basement was flodded during construction).They stopped the construction work and did some remedy/patch work to stop the water into basement but I am not sure the issue got fixed or not because there is lot of water in the basement and they are saying water is coming from sump-pump.Now they are saying that they are wating for power connection to start the sump-pump.They are telling me same story (wating for power connection) since Jan 1st week.

Now he is saying that it will take couple of weeks to get the power line and home will be finished by end of April but I don't have any trust on him

As I know my neighbour is aslo in samesituation like me but he is approaching realestate attorney and he is not giving me any info even if I offer to share the expenses. This delay is costing me lot of money, mental tesnions/worries, frustation and keep on postponing some important decessions (job change,kids scholl etc..)
I am so much confused and I don’t know what to do? Could some one give me some idea what to do?

Would you advice me to consult realestate attorney?

Thanks in advance
Kris
Go get a generator, pump it out and see what happens.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
I'll go one farther. Tell the builder that HE needs to go get a generator or a gas powered pump and pump it out. Then see if it fills with water again.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
RUN AWAY FROM THAT HOUSE. Sorry, you should NOT have water in your basement, ever. If your basement is filling up with water because the sump pump isn't turned on, guess what will happen when your house is finished and your power goes out. YES, contact an attorney if you need to but I would check your contract for a way to get out of that house.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
I agree....run and don't look back.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
It sounds like they didn't do a good job water proofing the foundation during construction. Kind of a hard job to do it right after the fact.
I agree with the others - I would probably run. Not just for the water issue, but more because he is not being truthful with you, and can not keep his word. If he is doing this during construction, can you imagine what it will be like after the house is finished, and you have issues/problems then??

Run.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,592 times
I have a basement and the same thing happened during construction during heavy rains, my basement was flooded like an indoor pool and I was panicked. It has nothing to do with waterproofing, the sump pump is there for the sole purpose of removing water before entering a basement, why would you need it if a basement was never supposed to have water???
When my electric got put in, it removed all the water. It did leave an icky mess, which they seemed to be fine with, make sure you insist that they pressure wash it before turning the house over. And also, when they fix it, to make sure that your basement isn't retaining any moisture, make sure that you put saran wrap on the floor and tape it down. that way you can test if the moisture is coming from under or over. We had a problem because the sump pump wasn't turning on early enough (its like a toilet bowl, it has a lever that turns it on when the water level is high enough.) I think all they had to do was fix the lever, but instead they installed a new sump pump just to make sure.
My builder gave me a warranty on the basement, and I read it with a fine tooth comb, make sure you get a copy of it now and go over it in detail.
I haven't had any problems.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,254 times
I would suggest you contact your realtor (if you used one) and go over your contract with them. If you have any possible way out of it, you may want to consider it. I would have great concerns over the builder. He has deemed himself untrustworthy in your eyes so what happens if something breaks during the warranty period? Is he going to fix it? If so, will it be done properly? What recourse do you have if it isn't?

Water is a major issue because the longer it sits, the more damage it does and mold can start to grow given the right conditions.

How a builder treats you during the construction process will say alot about his reliability and trustworthiness. If you don't feel good now......you won't feel good when something goes wrong after you close either. Then you're stuck!

Good luck to you!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,750 times
Does any new construction home with a basement need a sump pump? Thats news to me. I have a walkout/daylight basement home built in 2003 with 9 foot ceilings, drywall ceilings, the whole 9 yards, and its just like any other floor of the house. Why would you need a sump pump or anything else in new construction? Heck, we even have pergo flooring in 1/2 the basement and carpet in the other part. Not 1 bit of moisture in the basement. Seems real shady.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,592 times
I don't get it, why is a builder unreliable and a home deemed unfit because the electric hasn't been installed yet? I think that is jumping the gun a little bit and panicking the OP. mkris.. I know exactly how you feel, I was in your same position, and couldn't see past the swamp in my basement. And the headaches with the delays...... But unless there isn't another reason to distrust your builder, I wouldn't panic. We have a separate warranty from the company they used to seal the basement, and it covers everything we put in it, media room, rugs, furniture, electronics, etc. I was so focused on that major issue, I didn't concentrate on the smaller details like I should have. You are planning to have a private inspector come and inspect the whole house, basement included, before closing, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House