Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the same house since I was 3 years old (I don't remember anything before that so it's the same as if I was born here) and frankly am getting a little restless. Not having a job isn't helping. I'm 24, btw.

I'm just wondering how many of you are in the same boat...how many live in the same house they grew up in? How many have only lived in one house? I hear this sort of thing is actually common in some countries, but probably less so in places like the US and Australia. For me, the fact it's a rather dull suburb with nothing but houses for miles adds to the desperation to move. It's not bad in that the crime rate is very low, and it's otherwise quite nice, but after a point you do get restless. I'm sick of this city too; maybe if I lived in another city I wouldn't really care, but in a place where the nearest real city is 2,500 km away (like 1,700 miles)...I don't know what it's like to move house - seems like a huge hassle, but it would be nice to finally be independent too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I lived in the same house from 1962 to 1988 (bought my first house the day the Dodgers won the World Series). I was 27.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've lived in the same house since I was 3 years old (I don't remember anything before that so it's the same as if I was born here) and frankly am getting a little restless. Not having a job isn't helping. I'm 24, btw.

I'm just wondering how many of you are in the same boat...how many live in the same house they grew up in? How many have only lived in one house? I hear this sort of thing is actually common in some countries, but probably less so in places like the US and Australia. For me, the fact it's a rather dull suburb with nothing but houses for miles adds to the desperation to move. It's not bad in that the crime rate is very low, and it's otherwise quite nice, but after a point you do get restless. I'm sick of this city too; maybe if I lived in another city I wouldn't really care, but in a place where the nearest real city is 2,500 km away (like 1,700 miles)...I don't know what it's like to move house - seems like a huge hassle, but it would be nice to finally be independent too!
No, but we have been in this house for all most 33 years...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
I lived in the same house from the time I was born until I got married. My great grand parents bought the property and built their house on it. My grand parents built their house on the same property, then my mom and dad, and now my brother has his house all on the same property. We just tore down my great grand parents house. So if my daughter wants to build a house on the property the perfect spot is ready. I grew up in West Virginia on what was a big old working farm.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

68 posts, read 553,728 times
I lived in my childhood home for 25 years. The first time I saw something different was when I moved out after college.

You'll get there, no worries! Don't rush grocery bills and electricity wattage. Trust me.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,067 times
I grew up in the same house my whole childhood. But I went to college then got married and have been on my own obviously since. Actually my husband and I have moved a LOT of times, kinda made up for all those years I lived in the same house I guess, haha.

My husbands parents bought the house my FIL grew up in though. When I found that out I thought it was kind of weird-- buy your parents house and raise your kids in it.... but they've remodeled enough that it's hardly the same house. I have a friend who bought her parents house and is raising her kids in her old house this way too.

Sorry you're restless. I hope you can find a job, that should help. And depending on where it is, that might answer your ??s about moving too But I agree, enjoy the security while you got it, independence and exploring a new place is nice, but it's expensive

Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Guess it's odd how different people look at things in different ways. I was born in Jacksonville FL, but we left when I was 5 years old. My happiest memories from my childhood are of my grandparents' house. I spent 30 years living in the Midwest, mostly, but my wife, daughters and I moved to Jax last year, and I am currently renovating my grandparents' house (the one with all the good memories) for us to move into.

Up until 10 years ago when I met my wife, I hadn't lived in the same house for more than 2 years since we left Florida when I was 5, but I plan on this being our last move...

Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I lived in one house until I was 5 then moved to another... lived there for almost 35 years until I was forcibly removed 1 month ago.

The house was just demolished yesterday. Ironically it looks like I'll be moving back to house I lived in from birth until I was 5, full circle I guess.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,669 times
Default Homeownership

How do you pull that off. I don't even own a home but my goal is to settle down somewhere. I want a forever home and to never get chased off for any excuse. How do you end up in one house for that long. No one is giving me a home . I get kicked out because I'm an adult of lose my job. Please help.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

You have to make sure that when you leave you have a home with all the convenient details . I wish I had a home for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House