Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times

Advertisements

I want function, and I want to find window shutters that actually close and latch. It would improve safety from wicked storms and uninvited guests. Are they out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I've seen them on a couple of reproductions (homes). The ones on restored homes are probably custom.

One example: Shutters, Exterior Shutters, Window Shutters, Wood Shutters, Vinyl Shutters: ArchitecturalDepot.com

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Great site; thank you Gerania.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I got all my shutters from shuttercraft.com. Bless you for helping to stamp out incorrect, fake shutters.
Shuttercraft will even paint them to your specifications before delivery.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
These are probably some of the most expensive shutters around- Timberline.
But they are architecturally correct. Not only in construction but, also as far as hardware.

I have used this line on a few remodel projects:
Timberlane Exterior Shutters: Endurian Shutters (http://timberlaneshutters.com/end.php - broken link)

They're synthetic- not WRC or mahogany. It's strictly a H/O maintenence prefrence (Have also used the WRC ones with a clear finish). There's nothing better than seeing shutters on hinges with dogs and latches.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM

51 posts, read 360,979 times
Default Impact Rated Architectural Shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I want function, and I want to find window shutters that actually close and latch. It would improve safety from wicked storms and uninvited guests. Are they out there?
There are some good impact rated architectural shutters that function on the market. You can select from Colonial, Plantation or Bahamas. They are made to close and lock down for storms. Many large hotels and businesses use them as well as residential builders.

We did a large beach front home using his product (he’s only a manufacturer) and were very pleased with quality of his work. (See photo)

One company that builds and ships all around the US is:

"Master Aluminum" in Florida. The owner is Mario and he is very knowledgeable guy when it comes to these types of shutters.

Last edited by preparedness expert; 07-09-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 AM

If he's so knowledgeable about shutters- why are the shutters installed outside in (the louvers are backwards when the shutters are closed)?

Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM

51 posts, read 360,979 times
Default Impact Bahamas & Colonials

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If he's so knowledgeable about shutters- why are the shutters installed outside in (the louvers are backwards when the shutters are closed)?
Impact shutters can be ordered both ways – according to the client option.

Many clients want them to look architecturally pleasing to the eye. They are often (99% or more) in the open position. They are rarely closed so some think this looks better as it’s usually seen this way on the house most of the time. Again because they are impact design they work both ways. Hinges are welded on according to the clients order. When left open in the reversed way some think it looks awkward.

Yes - the louvers are backwards when the shutters are closed. Or one can order them with the louvers backwards on the house all the time in the open position.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 AM

from a sales standpoint I guess it's nice to offer people the choice of right or wrong.
But considering the objective of the product, I think it would be a better sell to educate the consumer as to how a shutter actually works/functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House