Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

We clearly have different parenting styles, I don't even leave my daughter at home on her own and she is 11, when I am going into the drug store quickly, I don't leave her in the car, or when I run into the gas station to pay for the gas.

Its just taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

When my daughter was a baby, she rarely went to someone else to take care of but when she did, she stayed with a friend who is an RN. A woman who had raised her own daughter already. Her daughter was also an RN and on a couple of occasions watched my daughter when my parents were in the hospital one summer. Another person who watched her ONE TIME was the Mother of a friend of mine, again someone who had a daughter who was 30 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We clearly have different parenting styles, I don't even leave my daughter at home on her own and she is 11, when I am going into the drug store quickly, I don't leave her in the car, or when I run into the gas station to pay for the gas.

Its just taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

When my daughter was a baby, she rarely went to someone else to take care of but when she did, she stayed with a friend who is an RN. A woman who had raised her own daughter already. Her daughter was also an RN and on a couple of occasions watched my daughter when my parents were in the hospital one summer. Another person who watched her ONE TIME was the Mother of a friend of mine, again someone who had a daughter who was 30 years old.
I understand your reasoning, completely. When I had my kids, I was young and stupid and really had no business having kids. If I were to have another child now (fat chance, lol) I know I'd fall a lot closer to your scale of protectiveness than how I raised my grown kids. Even at that, I remember being more protective of my kids than a lot of parents were of theirs.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I understand your reasoning, completely. When I had my kids, I was young and stupid and really had no business having kids. If I were to have another child now (fat chance, lol) I know I'd fall a lot closer to your scale of protectiveness than how I raised my grown kids. Even at that, I remember being more protective of my kids than a lot of parents were of theirs.
I was 30 when I had my only child. I saw many girls going off and leaving their infants with whomever they could get to take them. I just see no reason to take so little care with your child. I wouldn't leave my house in the charge of a 12 year old. My daughter is the most important person in the world to me.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,455 times
On the sofa....

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 AM

775 posts, read 579,164 times
In the upstairs bedroom. Not being facetious. Just wanted to answer the question and I think if you have an available bedroom it would be better than the sofa.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
On the couch.

However check you local laws. In some states it is illegal to leave a 12 year old home alone, let alone in charge of younger children.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
In Albuquerque, my neighbor and friend's 12 year old son babysat for us when we went out for dinner. The kids loved him (he put on puppet shows, taught them little skits) and his mom was only a block away, so there no problems. The 1 time my daughter faked being sick (for extra attention), his mom got there before we did.

We never would've left them with him if his mom hadn't been home though, and his mom wouldn't have let him babysit without her home either, - except when he came over when I had some project to do at home and he would keep them occupied.

We never went out that late, but I would suggest having him sleep on the couch until you come home, then he could move upstairs.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Why is this question on this forum?
And how is it that it's been here this long?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
I say on the coach.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Default I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I think that is a very uncalled for, and ignorant comment (as well as well)....to more or less say someone should "re-examine parenthood"...meaning obviously their way of thinking is incorrect (by your standards) and they should re-think what they are thinking so they can do it the proper way (by your standards).

I know more 12 year olds that are more mature than some 18 year old....heck, than some grown men.

I was babysitter at 12, and was babysitter to twins. I babysat those twins until I was over 18 years old, and when I was about 14 those twins had two sisters, so at about 15 I was babysitting 4 little girls. Not ONE thing ever went wrong doing my young years of babysitting. I played with them, cooked them dinner (sure, it was just spaghettios), bathed them, and put them to bed. Not one thing EVER happened to go wrong...so obviously those parents needn't rethink anything because their decision was a right decision.

I also know a woman who left her care of her child with a grown woman of 29 years old. This babysitter was a close friend, had a bachelor's degree in elementary/early childhood education, AND had her own daycare in the process of being opened. The woman came home to find her child awake in the crib, crying, with crap in his diaper, and the "babysitter" was asleep on the floor with Bruce Springsteen blaring.

I at 12 never did that. The woman of 29 did.

For anyone to ever say someone has to rethink their parenting is unbelievable. Who is to say your beliefs are the rule?
I agree I was a babysitter for a family when i was 12 !
the kids are not up that long any way.
I alway fell asleep on the couch but went home at 1.
My parents knew the family that was why i got to go
I was paid until they came home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House