Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,133,625 times

Advertisements

Desertsun, would love to see a pic or two!!

In my current house when I re-did my kitchen 3 years ago I also did a wall of built-in's in one bedroom ... one section of cabinets has a 34.5" base 2-drawer cabinet (was going to use it for filing but figured future owners could use it like a dresser) with 2 30x30x24 cabinets stacked on top. If I remember correctly those 30x30x24 were wall cabinets with increased depth as I couldn't find exactly what I needed. My DVD boxes (~20" long, custom-made by my woodworker to fit DVDs in sleeves) fit great in those cabinets four to a shelf. I would love to have something like that at my new house although not sure if I can go the built-in route, hence the question about making a cabinet instead. Thanks for replying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,717,830 times
I'll just post the one hutch pic for you, usually when I post pictures I get hate mail but keeping my promise to show you a good example of what can be done with kitchen cabinets supersedes the abuse I'm about to get.

This is all catalog parts from Merillat Masterpiece. No finishing, little cutting and about 5 hours to build. I built this for a very famous singer who you know from radio and TV. Though she tore out my kitchen 3 years after I put it in, she has kept this piece.

I charged $2200.00 back in 2002. Made about $700 if I remember correctly. It's maple with a toffee stain and a mocha glaze. I made it in 2 sections, top and bottom for easy moving some day. It is free standing which is unusual since I only do built-ins meaning I build them permanent into niches. This maple toffee color was very very hot in the early 2000s but is dead as dead now. Most of us in the biz hated toffee because it could not be repaired of a scratch or dent. We were well trained in wood and finish repair but toffee was impossible for various reasons. Just order a new door cause that one can't be repaired Mr Customer.

The humorous moral of the story to her tearing out my Merillat kitchen is she imported some exotic wood species in board lengths which was illegal to import into the USA and she got in a whole heep of trouble and fines. She got it here and had some very skilled people build her a kitchen on site with this exotic material. No further opinions from my mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet Manufacturers That DO NOT Use Chinese Plywood, Etc.-maple-toffee-brown-glaze-kitchen-hutch  

Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,133,625 times
GORGEOUS hutch!! Love the beadboard back. (But why on earth do you get hate mail when you post photos??)

I may just bite the bullet and see if I can put together some Kraftmaid cabinets that would work for my DVD boxes. I have a spare bedroom at my new house to work with.

Thanks again for posting the photo!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
GORGEOUS hutch!! Love the beadboard back. (But why on earth do you get hate mail when you post photos??)

I may just bite the bullet and see if I can put together some Kraftmaid cabinets that would work for my DVD boxes. I have a spare bedroom at my new house to work with.

Thanks again for posting the photo!
Why? Beats me silly. I suspect it's that dirty "J" word that is more commonly used when a spouse looks at another person with lust. But thanks for the compliment.

That hutch sits in a 6000 SF home on a lake. Massive kitchen and Butlers pantry with 12' high cabinet height. It only has 2 bedrooms and a large perfectly round master closet. It's an amazing home. Took me 2 months to install all the cabinetry, then she tore it out in 3 years. I'll never forget it, and I love her music too.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 77,331 times
We have come up with a design working with Just Cabinets. We have a choice to make. We have a window over our sink. Our current sink/faucett is almost in the center of the window. If we want the sink/faucett to match up to the center of the window we have to go with a 24 inch sink base cabinet. If we move to a 27 inch sink base cabinet the sink/faucett will be 1 and a half inches to the right of the center. Going with the 24 inch cabinet we get a larger cabinet (15-18) on the right side but we will also get a smaller sink. Would anyone notice the 1/ 1/2 iches off center? We thought about getting a sink with the faucett on either side of this sink so it is not in the middle as well which would make it less noticable. We just don't know how noticeable that 1 and a half inch off center would be. We would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks Ron Hess

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhess View Post
We have come up with a design working with Just Cabinets. We have a choice to make. We have a window over our sink. Our current sink/faucett is almost in the center of the window. If we want the sink/faucett to match up to the center of the window we have to go with a 24 inch sink base cabinet. If we move to a 27 inch sink base cabinet the sink/faucett will be 1 and a half inches to the right of the center. Going with the 24 inch cabinet we get a larger cabinet (15-18) on the right side but we will also get a smaller sink. Would anyone notice the 1/ 1/2 iches off center? We thought about getting a sink with the faucett on either side of this sink so it is not in the middle as well which would make it less noticable. We just don't know how noticeable that 1 and a half inch off center would be. We would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks Ron Hess
I give my thumbs up to trust Just Cabinets. Great store. 21 locations and still growing despite the greatest economic depression since 1928. I wish they were out my way.

A 24" sink base? No can do. Not in the kitchen. I can't give any specific advice because I can't see your layout but even the smallest single bowl kitchen sink is 25" wide.

I have been in this position though. There is no box size that will allow you to center the sink faucet. There usually is a solution but few can come up with one without actually seeing it. My usual solution is to center the sink faucet under the window center mullion and let the sink be not centered within the cabinet base. You can't do that with a SB24 cause they don't even make a sink that small. Next sink size below a 25 is a bar sink which is 16x16. There may be something in between that I am unaware of but it would be too small for kitchen use.

If you have no window center mullion then I may change my mind because that mullion allows the eye to line it up with the faucett. If there is no mullion then few will notice.

If you are able you can send the layout to me and I'll take a peek at it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

10 posts, read 77,331 times
Thanks so much for the feedback. There isn't a center strip/mullion in the window. There are 2 mullions in the window which divides it in thirds. So it would not be lined up with the center mullion when you look at it. I tried to upload the layout but I can't get it to accept a TIF which is what I created from the scan. Maybe we should just go with the 27 inch sink base. We could get a large/wide faucett which would help when you look at it or get a faucett that is on the right or left of the sink which is further from the center of the window. I will see if I can figure out the scan problem. It is interesting that both people we got designs from (Just Cabinets and Care Free Kitchens) had a design with a 24 inch sink base. They did not mention any concerns with it. When a installer came out to measure he mentioned his concerns. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,693,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yes they do but let them think that way. I have explained the definitions and what they all mean on occasion though. It's all in trick words for the perfect sales pitch that people believe is true......

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SOLID WOOD CABINET. NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE.
Does that includes furniture grade real wood plywood into account???

With the right kind of money, the right kind of carpenter (eg. Amish)... if one can carve a "kayak" type boat from one tree... you would think even one cabinet made from entirely solid wood (even without plywood) is possible.

Even if logically a solid wood wall cabinet is not sound due to weight support issue even if hung on studs... one can still make base cabinets from solid wood.

Either way...
I have seen some jack built cabinet that piece together solid cabinet doors & use it as such... wouldn't that have made "solid wood" cabinet then "possible"???

Just sayin.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,460,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Does that includes furniture grade real wood plywood into account???

Actually, the Amana's in Iowa will make you anything you want (sort of equivalent to 'the Amish of the Midwest'). Had to go there to get black walnut, as that is a midwestern tree.

With the right kind of money, the right kind of carpenter (eg. Amish)... if one can carve a "kayak" type boat from one tree... you would think even one cabinet made from entirely solid wood (even without plywood) is possible.

You can get virtually anything you want. Since 'desert' just orders stuff out of catalogs, the myopia is mind-boggling.

Even if logically a solid wood wall cabinet is not sound due to weight support issue even if hung on studs... one can still make base cabinets from solid wood.

Never had an issue with soundness for solid-wood cabinets (and there are literally hundreds of china and glassware pieces in them).

Either way...
I have seen some jack built cabinet that piece together solid cabinet doors & use it as such... wouldn't that have made "solid wood" cabinet then "possible"???

I can post pictures of two difference kitchens I have that are solid wood (everything). I can also post a picture of a base that 'desert' says has never or ever will exist.

Just sayin.

And fully agreeing with you.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,460,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I give my thumbs up to trust Just Cabinets. Great store. 21 locations and still growing despite the greatest economic depression since 1928. I wish they were out my way.

A 24" sink base? No can do. Not in the kitchen. I can't give any specific advice because I can't see your layout but even the smallest single bowl kitchen sink is 25" wide.

http://www.google.com/search?q=24+inch+sink+base&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.mi crosoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7GPEA_enUS295

How many versions would you like to see?

I have been in this position though. There is no box size that will allow you to center the sink faucet. There usually is a solution but few can come up with one without actually seeing it. My usual solution is to center the sink faucet under the window center mullion and let the sink be not centered within the cabinet base. You can't do that with a SB24 cause they don't even make a sink that small. Next sink size below a 25 is a bar sink which is 16x16. There may be something in between that I am unaware of but it would be too small for kitchen use.

If you have no window center mullion then I may change my mind because that mullion allows the eye to line it up with the faucett. If there is no mullion then few will notice.

If you are able you can send the layout to me and I'll take a peek at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House