Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM

600 posts, read 3,449,230 times

Advertisements

Many folks have asked me over the years, "What should I use to clean my shower walls?". Here's what i tell them:

Use your bath towel.

After you are finished drying off from your shower, take your bath towel and wipe down the walls. It takes about 20 seconds. You aren't putting anything on the towel that you haven't already wiped off of your body. It's the same soap/shampoo film, whether it's on you or on your walls. Don't be meticulous with the towel. A quick wipe of the wet walls is all you need.

What you're doing is removing the soap film from the walls before it dries and becomes difficult to clean off. One week's worth of dried soap film is hard to clean. One shower's worth of wet soap film is a piece o' cake.

Some folks keep a squeegee in their shower to do the same thing as I recommend with your towel, but I don't want the clutter in my shower, and a bath towel works fine, but it is an option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
My technique is to lower my standards and not care about soap residue. Also some soaps like zest don't leave as much residue. Remember those zest commercials in the 1970s where they dipped eyeglasses in zest and the other "leading brand"?

YouTube - Classic Zest Soap Commercial 1969

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
We do same my wife uses Shower Mist which gets rid of soap film,I wipe door and glass and she does rest,after several years still new!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Many folks have asked me over the years, "What should I use to clean my shower walls?". Here's what i tell them:

Use your bath towel.

After you are finished drying off from your shower, take your bath towel and wipe down the walls. It takes about 20 seconds. You aren't putting anything on the towel that you haven't already wiped off of your body. It's the same soap/shampoo film, whether it's on you or on your walls. Don't be meticulous with the towel. A quick wipe of the wet walls is all you need.

What you're doing is removing the soap film from the walls before it dries and becomes difficult to clean off. One week's worth of dried soap film is hard to clean. One shower's worth of wet soap film is a piece o' cake.

Some folks keep a squeegee in their shower to do the same thing as I recommend with your towel, but I don't want the clutter in my shower, and a bath towel works fine, but it is an option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
I squeegee, then wipe. I'm glad to hear others do this too. I've been called anal.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Use body wash and there will be no soap residue.

We wipe the walls with the washcloth, and use a fresh cloth each morning. I think that is better than using the towel, which we use for a week.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
yeah, but then you have to hang the towel somewhere to be driend because you cant put a soaking wet towel in the hamper, it will cause mold.
....and then this also means it is 1 use per each towel. Towels can be used more than 1 day............
so I dont think this is such a great idea.................and besides, who feels likw wiping down wall after each shower, ugh, not me.

I would rather clean the tiles once a week with tilex.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yeah, but then you have to hang the towel somewhere to be driend because you cant put a soaking wet towel in the hamper, it will cause mold.
....and then this also means it is 1 use per each towel. Towels can be used more than 1 day............
Huh? The towerl is wet whether you wipe down the shower or not. It gets wet after you dry yourself?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I squeegee, then wipe. I'm glad to hear others do this too. I've been called anal.
There's a joke hiding in there somewhere

Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
^^ My name is Ben. Ben Dover...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
If you use a non soap such as Aveeno then you never have to wipe or clean or squeegee. You should not be putting that cheap soap product on your skin anyway. Those 10 packs for a dollar of soap is really abusing your body. Pure trash. Same thing with laundry soaps. For over the counter, Arm & Hammer is the safest for your health.

Use what's called a cleansing bar or non soap bar. The only one on the market easy to find is Aveeno. Your skin will love you and you never have to clean off soap scum from your sink and shower walls. And your skin will love you. Another great one is Shaklee's Meadow Blend available from private dealers only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House