Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, we had a whole house window fan. It was a powerful fan---as powerful as fans installed in roofs. It was permanently anchored to the window frame for stability. It blew in or out. The window could be closed when needed. It literally sucked all the hot air out of a large house in mere minutes. When it was blowing out, every open window inside the house had a super cool breeze blowing inward.

I've wanted one of these for years. I have no idea where to find them. I'm sure my father bought it at Sears, but Sears has nothing like it. I've searched everywhere. They HAVE to still exist.

I found one online called the Air King Whole House Window Fan 9166, but it doesn't appear to permanently anchor to the window frame. It seems to somehow set inside the window---still allowing the ability to open and close the window, but it doesn't look as stable as the fan from my childhood. Plus, I expected to pay way more than $200. I'm concerned it won't be powerful enough.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Since the invention of and ability of the common man to have whole house AC, I doubt you will find such an animal as you describe. Maybe the best solution is to get an attic fan. They still make them and they do the same job.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
. Maybe the best solution is to get an attic fan. They still make them and they do the same job.
They don't do the same job.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Since the invention of and ability of the common man to have whole house AC, I doubt you will find such an animal as you describe.
How old do you think I am? Air conditioning existed when I was a child, AND my father was an officer for a fortune 500.

I refuse to use air conditioning as my MAIN source of house cooling. It's not good for the environment. It's not healthy for family members because it increases bacteria and fungi in the air.

I turn on air conditioning only during the hottest weeks of the summer. Last year, the air conditioner was only on for four weeks----random weeks in July and August according to need.

Quote:
Maybe the best solution is to get an attic fan. They still make them and they do the same job.
They don't do the same job. An attic fan is not a whole house fan. You might be confusing whole house fans that are installed in roofs as attic fans. They are two different animals. They operate at different times of the day because they have different purposes. Attic fans move hot air out of attics during the day. Whole house fans cool down a house in the evening.

Whole House Fans and Attic Fans

My house isn't designed for a whole house fan to be installed in the roof. My attic is the third floor of my house. My house has no attic.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How old do you think I am?
You mentioned Sears ...

I won't be surprised that the demise of such products was because of lawyers. Too powerful, and it could suck up more than just the hot stale air.

I haven't looked into whole-house fans before, so I'll admit that I don't know what's out there in the marketplace these days, but I'm thinking that you might just have to convert your own attic fan to window mount (meaning adding safety precautions) to get the airflow you desire.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
How old do you think I am? Air conditioning existed when I was a child, AND my father was an officer for a fortune 500.

I refuse to use air conditioning as my MAIN source of house cooling. It's not good for the environment. It's not healthy for family members because it increases bacteria and fungi in the air.

I turn on air conditioning only during the hottest weeks of the summer. Last year, the air conditioner was only on for four weeks----random weeks in July and August according to need.

They don't do the same job. An attic fan is not a whole house fan. You might be confusing whole house fans that are installed in roofs as attic fans. They are two different animals. They operate at different times of the day because they have different purposes. Attic fans move hot air out of attics during the day. Whole house fans cool down a house in the evening.

Whole House Fans and Attic Fans

My house isn't designed for a whole house fan to be installed in the roof. My attic is the third floor of my house. My house has no attic.
There used to be an attic fan that moved air thru the Whole house.....It was mounted in the attic, not the roof......It had nothing to do with moving heat from the attic, but it did anyway because of the way it worked..

Open the windows and turn it on and the air flowed....

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
There used to be an attic fan that moved air thru the Whole house.....It was mounted in the attic......It had nothing to do with moving heat from the attic, but it did anyway because of the way it worked..

Open the windows and turn it on and the air flowed....
That was most likely a whole house fan that was installed in the roof. It's the most common whole house fan.

An attic fan usually only moves air inside the house if there isn't enough air vents in the attic.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
You mentioned Sears ...
Sears still exists today. My dad wasn't a handyman. He hired people to do everything. I can't imagine he went anywhere but Sears since the 60s and 70s were before Home Depot and Lowes (who don't have these fans, btw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I won't be surprised that the demise of such products was because of lawyers. Too powerful, and it could suck up more than just the hot stale air.

I haven't looked into whole-house fans before, so I'll admit that I don't know what's out there in the marketplace these days, but I'm thinking that you might just have to convert your own attic fan to window mount (meaning adding safety precautions) to get the airflow you desire.
What do you think of this? I don't know anything about horsepower. It has 1/6 horsepower. Is that powerful?

Air King 9166 Window Mount Whole House Fan

Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
That was most likely a whole house fan that was installed in the roof. It's the most common whole house fan.

An attic fan usually only moves air inside the house if there isn't enough air vents in the attic.
It did not go in the roof.... It was mounted, most of the time in a hallway like the ladders to an attic is..

It was mounted face down, the hole was cover with louvers that would open when the fan was turned on and close when turned off with a switch just like a light switch.

In the attic there would be louvered opening on the gable ends of the house for the air to flow out....

http://www.atticfans.com/

There is a drawing on this link that shows how it works, and how it is mounted....

Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Quote:
Sears still exists today.
Yeah, I know, but they aren't the neighborhood Sears of yore, where it was the go-to store for just about everything.

In the days before Home Depot, National Lumber and Ole's used to be our go-to hardware store.

As for the fan ... the power is on par with its specs for air movement, though there are other factors besides motor size (namely design). With that said, reviews on Amazon tend to be favorable:
Amazon.com: Air King 9166 20" Whole-House Window Fan: Kitchen & Dining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House