Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 PM

17 posts, read 92,001 times

Advertisements

Can you guys please help me, I am most likely moving to the Houston area in the spring time. I would love to live in the city, preferably a condo or townhouse in the heart of downtown or midtown definetly in the upper scale areas. Could you recommend the areas and zip codes? I would consider a few miles out of the city but do not want to live in "Mr. Rogers' neighborhood" I did some research on Sugarland which is beautiful but seems to be too suburban for me. I am 25 and single and would love to mix it up in the city. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Sabba23

I lived in DC for a few years in the late 90s. I expect it has changed somewhat since then. I lived at 16th and Corcoran in Dupont Circle and then for a spell out in Tenleytown near American U.

If you are 25 and single then you definitely don't want any of the burbs but something more central. Even so, Houston is still much more spread out than DC.

The closest thing to Dupont Circle in Houston is the Montrose neighborhood. Lots of apartments and condos there and decent streetlife and nightlife. Slightly more polished and less bohemian but still very urban would be the West University neighborhood where Rice Univ. is and all the hospitals. It would be more like the Georgetown of Houston.

You have lots of options. Just stay out of the suburbs. If you're 25 and single you'll put a gun to your head after a few months in Katy or Sugar Land.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
There have been quite a few recent posts along the same lines. In addition to the above, Rice Military, Midtown, the Museum District, even uptown or downtown would have what you're looking for.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM

17 posts, read 92,001 times
Yes Dc has def changed since the 90s for the better, I would be looking for areas like you mentioned Georgetown or Dupont. Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it. I will hopefully be down there next month to look around.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
Does anyone know of a website I can go on that has a list of the areas in Houston with low physical and property crime....two of us singles ladys are coming to visit and possibly relocate. Thanks hope I wasn't to vague

Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 700,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabba23 View Post
Yes Dc has def changed since the 90s for the better, I would be looking for areas like you mentioned Georgetown or Dupont. Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it. I will hopefully be down there next month to look around.
I am a native Washingtonian. I will try to assist you.

If you are looking for an upsacle area similar to Georgetown, then you should checkout Uptown/Galleria area. Is has lots of upscale condos. Now the Uptown/Galleria area is not similar in terms of architectural landscape or the historical charm of Georgetown. However, it is quite similar in upscale living, upscale shopping, lots of traffic, and the posh lifestyle. The Galleria/Uptown area also resembles the Friendship Heights area in upper NW DC

I will give you a breakdown in comparison to Houston neighborhoods that are similar to the type of neighborhoods in DC that you may like.

Montrose is sort of like an Adams Morgan and a Dupont Circle mixture. It is less upscale than Dupont Circle in terms of residential, but it is very similar in terms of lifestyle, culture, dining, etc.

Rice University Area is similar to the upper Wisconsin Avenue residential areas of Georgetown, Cleveland Park, and other neighborhoods in upper NW DC. However, it is near the Museum District and the Texas Medical Center which makes it slighty different.

Midtown is similar to Foggy Bottom. It borders downtown Houston and Montrose. So, it has that combination of bordering downtown DC, GW Foggy Bottom area, and a dose of Dupont Circle. There are newly built townhomes and condos in Midtown. I highly recommend Midtown because it was my first home here in Houston when I relocated from DC. Now I am stuck in the boring burbs. LOL!

The Museum District, West University, Dowtown Houston, and the Heights might meet your needs as well. However, I think that Midtown, Montrose, or the Uptown/Galleria areas are probably what you are looking for. Uptown will give you that upscale vibe of Georgetown, but Midtown & Montrose will give you that Dupont Circle vibe.

On that note, I am only making comparisons in terms of lifestyle, the people, and the cultural vibe of each area that are similar to DC. None of these areas will resemble DC in terms of architectural landscape. Also, Houston is very spread out like Los Angeles. It is not as confined as DC.

I will say visit all of these areas before you make any final confirmations. I hope everything goes smooth with your move.

Last edited by Rose31; 02-23-2008 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston