Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,218,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzBeeHaven305 View Post
Lmao I hear u loud and clear to get a job first. Any job in customer service will do such as a CSR in a call center, front desk receptionist, PBX operator, administrative or hr assistant, patient access representative at a hospital, etc. My fiance specializes in marine welding but I'm sure he will look for a warehouse or contractor job.
In that case, I would suggest Jersey Village area - I know there are several machine shops in that area, you can get a job close by, apartments very reasonable - and you can get to the downtown/Montrose area for fun on the weekends. Highway 290 is horrible for commuters during rush hours, but fine on the weekends.

Downtown/Montrose apartments will be over the $400-600 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 AM

15 posts, read 51,219 times
So the Downtown/Montrose area is the hot spot during the night hours? Also is it true that water is free in Houston and shouldnt be included as part of ur utilities?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,218,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzBeeHaven305 View Post
So the Downtown/Montrose area is the hot spot during the night hours? Also is it true that water is free in Houston and shouldnt be included as part of ur utilities?
Also Midtown and along Washington.

There are some apartments that still pay the water, but the majority do not. If you rent a house, you will pay your own water.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,487,020 times
The hotspot for Caribbean-folk is southwest Houston just inside Beltway 8. Several restaurants and clubs on Bissonnet and Belfort. The popular Riddim's Nightclub is Raggae Central for all nationalities (including a few caucasoids like me). Riddim's is more Jamaican than Haitian or Bahamian, but heh this isn't Miami. If you need to keep from losing your French Creole chops you can always practice with the many Cajuns and Louisiana Creoles in Houston or TOTAL oil company guys from The Motherland France. Montrose is Jazz, Rock, and House music mainly. It's a fun area but WAY more than $600 for any habitable place - maybe you could get a converted garage apt or something if you were REALLY lucky. Any apts or rent-homes inside Loop-610 (the inner loop inside Beltway 8) are very pricey, even in poor condition.

Best luck in your move to Houston. Just a little advice, that area does have cheap apts, probably even find an efficiency or small 1-B for $400-600 but in fairly close-in SW Houston you'll be in an older run down unit with a lot of sketchy folk with doubtfully documented sources of income. I'd spring for $7-800 and save the money back by not having your car stolen or flat-screened stolen a couple of times a year! There are some nice high-rise apts in that area but with hi-security fences, private guards, etc at the corner of Bissonnet and Gessner (just west of Gessner). Don't worry about finding black hair care shops - it's harder for me to find WHITE hair care (I live in this area myself). Great little non-chain eateries of all varieties - this is the U.N. area of Houston - Asian, Tex-Mex, Salvadoran,Jamaican, even a half-dozen or so Nigerian and believe it or not - a Nigerian-Mex (no I havent had the courage!).

Another thing I just remembered - every summer a big regional park in the southern suburbs off 288 has a big Caribbean Music Festival with reggae an steel drum bands and more. This is near Pearland, TX.

I wish I had your honey's skills in marine welding. He can probably nose around the offshore oilfield service contractors and get some incredible wages - esp with the Deepwater Horizon disaster unfolding. Also likely work in downstream refineries, petrochemical plants, etc.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 06-30-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 AM

15 posts, read 51,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
The hotspot for Caribbean-folk is southwest Houston just inside Beltway 8. Several restaurants and clubs on Bissonnet and Belfort. The popular Riddim's Nightclub is Raggae Central for all nationalities (including a few caucasoids like me). Riddim's is more Jamaican than Haitian or Bahamian, but heh this isn't Miami. If you need to keep from losing your French Creole chops you can always practice with the many Cajuns and Louisiana Creoles in Houston or TOTAL oil company guys from The Motherland France. Montrose is Jazz, Rock, and House music mainly. It's a fun area but WAY more than $600 for any habitable place - maybe you could get a converted garage apt or something if you were REALLY lucky. Any apts or rent-homes inside Loop-610 (the inner loop inside Beltway 8) are very pricey, even in poor condition.

Best luck in your move to Houston. Just a little advice, that area does have cheap apts, probably even find an efficiency or small 1-B for $400-600 but in fairly close-in SW Houston you'll be in an older run down unit with a lot of sketchy folk with doubtfully documented sources of income. I'd spring for $7-800 and save the money back by not having your car stolen or flat-screened stolen a couple of times a year! There are some nice high-rise apts in that area but with hi-security fences, private guards, etc at the corner of Bissonnet and Gessner (just west of Gessner). Don't worry about finding black hair care shops - it's harder for me to find WHITE hair care (I live in this area myself). Great little non-chain eateries of all varieties - this is the U.N. area of Houston - Asian, Tex-Mex, Salvadoran,Jamaican, even a half-dozen or so Nigerian and believe it or not - a Nigerian-Mex (no I havent had the courage!).

Another thing I just remembered - every summer a big regional park in the southern suburbs off 288 has a big Caribbean Music Festival with reggae an steel drum bands and more. This is near Pearland, TX.

I wish I had your honey's skills in marine welding. He can probably nose around the offshore oilfield service contractors and get some incredible wages - esp with the Deepwater Horizon disaster unfolding. Also likely work in downstream refineries, petrochemical plants, etc.
Thank you for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston