Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM

11 posts, read 20,054 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to the Houston area mid December. We have never been to Houston so obviously we are at a loss as to the best place to move. My husband will be working downtown so we know there will be a commute but we have been checking into; Katy, Sugarland, Woodland Hills, Lake Conroe, and possibly Missouri City. Our biggest concerns are schools, (we have 2 Elementary aged children), safety, colleges as I am in the middle of going to school for nursing, shopping, dining and family fun. We would appreciate any and all feedback for any of these locations.

Thanks Mel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
why do you want to live so far from Downtown? you will be cursing the commute everyday.

there are zillions of neighborhoods close to the loop/withing the loop that are very nice. why so far?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Since your hubby will be working downtown, then you have a big area to pick from. What will your price range be? Do you need a large home?

If you've never been to Houston. I'd recommend leasing for a year in an area that you get a good vibe from . That first year will go by quickly and it will give you time to better evaluate the area and where you will want to live. Before you know it, you'll be house hunting for your new place. The last thing you probably want is to buy a home that you'll want to move away from within the first few years.

Do you plan on coming down to Houston several times before purchasing?
Do you know what school you'll be going to?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM

46 posts, read 130,538 times
If you are considering the Katy area, I would absolutely recommend Cinco Ranch - I specifically love the newer area (Cinco SW). I live in the Spring Lake section and it is so beautiful. The school that it is zoned for is top notch with an amazing staff. Tons of children on every block!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
There are so many good choices. We live in New Territory in Sugar Land and we like it a lot. Exemplary public schools at the elementary and middle school levels and good high schools. Mikes Mom mentioned Cinco Ranch and it is nice there, too.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
You didn't mention house budget ot how large you needed it to be - so I am just guessing on both. Cinco is a commute on I-10 or the Westpartk Tollway, depending which you are closest. Sugar Land is nice and is comparable. Kingwood is also a choice. I am assuming a regular budget. If you have a high budget, you can get closer to downtown and still have a good-sized house (again, having to guess that you will need about 2200 square feet or so.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Mention your budget and we can give better answers...how about the Heights?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM

We have been told several times to stay out of the Houston area and find a suburb just outside. We have never been so we aren't really sure what to expect.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM

We are looking not to spend more than 175,000. With all the school loans I keep accruing and paying out of pocket we really want to be frugal for the next few years instead of racking up so much debt. We are in a 2400 sqft house now so we would like to stay around the same.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM

We looked at Cinco Ranch because someone mentioned it to my husband. The houses seem a bit more expensive for what we want to spend. Are there areas in Katy we should avoid? Every time we find a house we like we take a google map look at the neighborhood seems to be nice but of course it is hard to tell. Thanks for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston