Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view them?
They are a good team 12 28.57%
They are alright, could be better 23 54.76%
They probably won't ever be good again 7 16.67%
They are bad, always were, always will be 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times

Advertisements

And that explains quite well why we don't need LeBron here.

Quite a big head on a kid who hasn't actually helped a team accomplish anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Sorry, no top free agent will come to Houston. The only hope is Yao being healthy, the draft and trades.
i find it interesting that "no free agents want to come to houston", to play i assume because there are a TON of them that want to live here. several have off season homes here or former players who live here. shaq, marcus camby, birdman anderson, to name 3 active players who live here when not playing in their respective teams.

why is it you think no big names want to play here? the owner isnt afraid to pay, the coach is supposedly loved, they love living here. what turns them off from playing here.

it is like my spur sort of, nobody wants to go there, even though the coach is arguably the best in the biz, the talent on the team is top notch, the city is awesome to live in, the fans love the spurs no mater what, BUT it is a small market and the players dont get a lot of coverage or exposure. houston is not a small market BUT outside of china the rockets dont get the play the other teams goet. teams like LA, NYC, miami, chicago, phx (its a small market but everyone loves them), heck even the nets get a little more coverage.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Free agents are vastly over-rated. Who was the last free agent that actually brought a championship to his new team? Shaq is the only one I can think of in the last 2 decades.

You need a good owner who is willing to spend, and a GM who can find value in other teams' cast offs.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Free agents are vastly over-rated. Who was the last free agent that actually brought a championship to his new team? Shaq is the only one I can think of in the last 2 decades.

You need a good owner who is willing to spend, and a GM who can find value in other teams' cast offs.
i would say that is a tough one, i mean in the last 20 yrs 11 of the titles where won by either kobe or jordan so yes a free agent wasnt the "main guy" BUT they have always been integral parts of title teams. i mean does jordan win titles without guys like rodman, MAYBE but it would not have been as easy.

i agree that trades have made things easier for teams to get the pieces they need but free agents are always large parts. trades on the other hand can be underhanded like the gasol trade, and even the rasheed wallace to detroit.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,342 times
[quote=Texascrude;15111035]Free agents are vastly over-rated. Who was the last free agent that actually brought a championship to his new team? Shaq is the only one I can think of in the last 2 decades.

How about Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in 2008?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM

[quote=Houston321;15121789]
Quote:

garnett and allen where not FA, he was traded for. the celtics actually trade like half the team to get KG, and the other half to get jesus shuttlesworth.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
[quote=Houston321;15121789]
Quote:

Yea, they traded for both of those players. Detroit traded for Rasheed, Lakers traded for Gasol, Spurs drafted all their players, the Heat traded for Shaq...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM

but what im saying is freeagents are not generally the big name but the guys who play a roll. guys like rodman, horry, finley, artest, james jones, and so on. it is not normally the big name guys who make a difference, at least not right off the bat.

on the flip side to that, the heat are going to be 90% free agent and looking at their roster right now and the last couple of players they are adding , i dont see any team taking them down. maybe not this year but next year when they can actually add a last player for the MLE, another mike miller type player or a decent big man and they will be testing that 70 win season the bulls had.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM

433 posts, read 701,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
but what im saying is freeagents are not generally the big name but the guys who play a roll. guys like rodman, horry, finley, artest, james jones, and so on. it is not normally the big name guys who make a difference, at least not right off the bat.

on the flip side to that, the heat are going to be 90% free agent and looking at their roster right now and the last couple of players they are adding , i dont see any team taking them down. maybe not this year but next year when they can actually add a last player for the MLE, another mike miller type player or a decent big man and they will be testing that 70 win season the bulls had.
I don't care. I'd rather win the right way. No driven, greedy or selfish players. We are Houston!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
I don't care. I'd rather win the right way.
Once again, what has LeBron won?

You've been pretty level-headed in sports discussions that I've seen. I'm disappointed here, what with equating Hakeem with this ringless joker from Akron.

The first bit of trouble will come when the Heat organization either A) refuses to let the kid run the organization for all intents and purposes as Dan Gilbert did in Cleveland or B) agrees to let the kid run the organization for all intents and purposes as Dan Gilbert did in Cleveland. He ran Mike Brown out of town and then bolted anyway. Nobody gives a damn how many games you win in the next-to-meaningless regular season. Until you win that ring, you have no right to go parading around acting like you're the biggest thing to happen to the game since Naismith. It has nothing to do with "we are Houston." I'd say the same thing if I was a Knicks fan. If I was one, I'd be just as glad he's not there as I am that he's not in Houston. Isiah Thomas has done enough to wreck that franchise as it is.

LeBron is a punk.

Print it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston