Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 12,338 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found a home we'd like to renovate in Brae Acres. It's close to where I work, and we really like the fact that it would give us a lot of space and still be in Houston.

However, I'm really concerned about its proximity to Sharpstown and the crummy schools it looks to be zoned to. We have two young kids, and I want to make sure they get a good education. Would the HISD magnet programs be a good solution?

Can we make this work, or is it an unattainable goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM

221 posts, read 611,509 times
Brae Acres is a very good investment. Getting so much land in a location close to Houston is an amazing feat. There are also several high priced homes in the area including an extremely large mansion that was just built. Also the schools in the area are improving, Sharpstown High was ranked 556 in the best high schools in the country beating Lamar and more than 10k other high schools nationally. Sutton Elementary which is nearby is excellent and consistently ranked as "Recognized". If you push your kids hard when it comes to academics they will succeed. The area has a lot of potential and when the university metro line does happen you will make a VERY nice profit if you decide to sell due to the close proximity from the Hillcroft Transit Center.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Plenty make the magnet program work, however, it is a crap shoot as to whether you will get in the schools you want. Miss out and you will need money for private.
That aside, as for the proximity to Sharpstown, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Good areas next to bad is just part of the territory when living in Houston.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks y'all, I really appreciate the responses.

We'd be moving there from Bacliff, so we're used to good areas next to bad. We currently have our oldest in private school since DISD is arguably not much better than HISD. But our youngest will start kinder next year, and the thought of tuition almost doubling scares me

The only problem with private schools is that, if we do buy and renovate the house, we probably will not be able to afford them Aside from magnet or private school, are there any other options? Does HISD allow intradistrict transfers? Does Bellaire allow out of district transfers?

I really really like the house, but want to make sure my kids get a good education. I don't want to send them somewhere they can't learn because the school is too much of a zoo.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
I found a home in Brae Acres for sale that I kinda like might be the same one I can across does it have a lot next door also for sale

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM

There's a lot for sale in the area, but I think it's down the street, not next door

Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Oh ok

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 PM

221 posts, read 611,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWyngs View Post
Thanks y'all, I really appreciate the responses.

We'd be moving there from Bacliff, so we're used to good areas next to bad. We currently have our oldest in private school since DISD is arguably not much better than HISD. But our youngest will start kinder next year, and the thought of tuition almost doubling scares me

The only problem with private schools is that, if we do buy and renovate the house, we probably will not be able to afford them Aside from magnet or private school, are there any other options? Does HISD allow intradistrict transfers? Does Bellaire allow out of district transfers?

I really really like the house, but want to make sure my kids get a good education. I don't want to send them somewhere they can't learn because the school is too much of a zoo.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Houston ISD serves Bellaire, you can transfer your kids to any school in bellaire.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks, that is good to know. How difficult is the transfer process?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
You can't get in just being in HISA but not zoned to Bellaire as suggested. However you CAN apply for your kid as a foreign language magnet student. They will have to compete with many other students, though.

That's just a gorgeous neighborhood, though. I used to live across the FWY in Sharpstown and used to lust over those huge (2-3 acres it looks like) wooded lots and big houses. It's an absolute anomaly - acreage lots well inside the Houston city limits 15 minutes on the 59 from downtown. An option also if you don't like Sharpstown High is the very excellent Strake Jesuit and St.Agnes Parochial Schools just two or three miles north on Bellaire Blvd @ Gessner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston