Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM

19 posts, read 23,174 times

Advertisements

Withpolish hit the nail on the head. Everything they said is spot on. I use to be a nanny and my employers wanted me to work a 10hr a day. I had no problems with that. But I knew the law in my state said that I got time and a half for over 40hrs a week. Needless to say they (the employers) didn't know this. So when I got my first check, I politely told them I was short on my pay. Once they contacted their lawyer and realized I was right, it threw their household budget into a bit of a crimp. They hadn't expected to pay more every week. So, you may not like what Withpolish said, but its completely accurate. Don't assume every woman who is a nanny/babysitter is a 'dumb bunny'. Not only will you get sued if you don't comply with the laws, your family's name will be whispered amongst the other nannies as not a good place to work. So, yeah, you can an hire an illegal for pennies on the dollar but a prime nanny will never want to work for you.

Also remember that nannies are comparing what you want them to do, how many charges they have and what you are paying against what other nannies are doing for the same. If you are seen as short-changing her she will leave the moment another family is offering something more competitive, read: better pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,026 times
I am a Kingwood, TX mother of 2 grown children and I was looking into becoming a nanny now that my kids are grown. I am 43, have my own SUV, and loved raising my kids. How much would I charge for full time nanny services with light cleaning (not live in)?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,552 times
It is a shame that people ask a question and then other people feel the need to post something unnecessarily unkind. You have to read through all the extras before you can get to the actual answer.

Thanks for the post and the replies. It's given me a lot to consider as I look for care for my 3 children.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM

111 posts, read 218,773 times
I say you are getting a major deal. I would be surprised if you are able to keep very long, especially with the new baby. I would also hope she is getting paid while on vacation with you because we know she is working and not "vacationing". Cannot believe you even included bringing her dvd's.

From a mother that has always stayed home with her 3 children I would laugh if you offered me that amount. It is tough raising your own children when they are that age but even tougher to raise someone else's. You are very lucky you have an awesome nanny for that price. I would be doing everything I could to keep her.

Have you thought about asking her what she feels is fair?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 96,684 times
@ NannyMom...
With no prior experience (working as a nanny) or actual education (nanny school or early childhood education courses via college) it will be difficult to get a job period. That being said...the "going rate" among families willing to hire someone with minimal qualifications would be Minimum Wage. And until you have worked as a Professional Nanny for a minimum of 5 years, your pay will not exceed $10.00/hr unless you have continued working for the same family and reached that amount through raises over time. To make "good money" you must be in the field, working as a Professional Nanny (ie educated) for 10 years or more with at least 1 long term (5+ years) position with a family, and a STELLAR history and resume!! In the Nanny World it is All About your references and recommendations from your prior positions. I have been a Professional Nanny for 20+ years, and find it a Very rewarding profession; but it is not for everyone and is by no means an Easy Job!!

The biggest challenge is finding a family that respects you as an EMPLOYEE, not a "member of the family" which you will/should never be. A real Nanny has chosen a PROFESSION and will invest, in herself and her education, in her field for MANY years before she will ever be paid a decent wage. Unfortunately most Parents want Marry Poppins for 5 bucks an hour, then treat you like Cinderella! Just being honest with you...

On another note....
It really amuses me when someone feels they can just "be a nanny". Being a Nanny is a LOT more than just "watching someone's children". It requires years of education and knowledge as to how to raise Someone Else's children, which is MUCH different than raising your own. Without the education AND experience, you are a Babysitter...just sayin'

Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 AM

10 posts, read 12,821 times
I think what u are paying here it's good.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,270,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withpolish View Post
@ NannyMom...

On another note....
It really amuses me when someone feels they can just "be a nanny". Being a Nanny is a LOT more than just "watching someone's children". It requires years of education and knowledge as to how to raise Someone Else's children, which is MUCH different than raising your own. Without the education AND experience, you are a Babysitter...just sayin'
While trying not to offend you - this is a ridiculous statement. 90+% of Nanny's work only until the kids are old enough to goto school, and then they are part time, or move on....

While it is true that not just anyone can be a nanny, there is no education necessary for the position...I would really like to know what it is you think that makes a nanny vs a babysitter.

In my opinion a good nanny will be patient & nurturing, while also having excellent speech (no spanglish, or other non-proper English dialects)...A good nanny will pay attention to your child, read to them, interact with them, etc a good nanny will stay off the computer/phone while working...a good nanny will do what the parents want done, and not interject their own beliefs onto that child. A good nanny will be CPR trained, be reliable, on time, and respect the time of the people who they work for....those are things a good nanny would do. NONE of that is difficult, none of it requires a college degree....all of it is usually engrained in a person from the own personal upbringing....that is why a good nanny is hard to find - there are usually very large cultural differences between nannies and parents who are hiring - why? B/C it is a position that almost anyone can do, so it can not command a high wage.

Raising kids is much harder emotionally and physically than working an 8-5 job...I know this....I wind down at work - not at home...but its also rewarding..so there are tradeoffs...being a nanny means you love kids, you love raising them, and you would rather make less money and get to be around kids than more money working in the private/corporate world. Everything is a tradeoff....a person just needs to decide what they want.

That said - there are GREAT nannies - and bad nannies. I would never leave my kids with a nanny b/c I don't trust one person with my child other than my wife and the grandparents. I require redundancy...kids can be so frustrating that its possible to lose your temper - that loss of temper when it occurs with a nanny is unchecked unless there are others there to witness it.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 AM

19 posts, read 23,174 times
While trying not to offend you - this is a ridiculous statement. 90+% of Nanny's work only until the kids are old enough to goto school, and then they are part time, or move on....

Please cite your source for this statistic. I would like to know.

While it is true that not just anyone can be a nanny, there is no education necessary for the position...I would really like to know what it is you think that makes a nanny vs a babysitter.

You are misinformed about the education of a nanny versus a babysitter. I get the feeling you are talking about cheap, low brow nanny's, which I would agree, don't have education and are basically babysitters. Their are several types of private child assistance: Governess, Nanny, Au Pair, Parent Helpers, Nursery Nurses and Babysitters.

In my opinion a good nanny will be patient & nurturing, while also having excellent speech (no spanglish, or other non-proper English dialects)

"Non-proper English dialects" This says a lot about your lack of understanding ESL and grammatical cultural norms.

...A good nanny will stay off the computer/phone while working...

Not fully true in the least. However, I think you are saying they shouldn't ignore the kids to be doing other things, which may include the phone, or computer or any other distraction. But there are a plethora of reasons a phone or computer would be in use while the children were home. It does not infer that the children are being ignored though.

a good nanny will ... respect the time of the people who they work for

This goes both ways.

NONE of that is difficult,

If it weren't difficult parents would stay home and do it themselves. What your described are basic things. This does in no way encompasses what a Professional Nanny does.

none of it requires a college degree

For a non-professional nanny, no it does not. For a Professional Nanny who is paid 50k or more, yes it does.

....all of it is usually engrained in a person from the own personal upbringing

It absolutely IS NOT. Go to your local grocery store and watch parents who as you say should have parenting children 'engrained in....their own personal upbringing'. Their kids are screaming, crying, begging, running around and bumping into people. Parenting does not come with a book and is not ingrained into anyone. There are good parents and bad parents. But in no way does it come naturally.

....that is why a good nanny is hard to find - there are usually very large cultural differences between nannies and parents who are hiring

There are?!

- why? B/C it is a position that almost anyone can do, so it can not command a high wage.

Untrue and Iv already explained why. But to reiterate. You sound like you are talking about CraigsList, illegal alien, non English speaking, uneducated nannies. If you are, then your assumptions may be partly right. However, in no way are you speaking of the people who Nanny as a profession and take it quite seriously.

...being a nanny means you love kids, you love raising them, and you would rather make less money and get to be around kids than more money working in the private/corporate world.

No, this is just the excuse bad employers tell themselves to justify paying their nanny low wages and usually treating their nanny poorly.

...that loss of temper when it occurs with a nanny is unchecked unless there are others there to witness it.

More children are abused by their parents or family member than they are by a caregiver. Thats a FACT. Professional Nanny's are screened. And that just doesn't mean the standard background check with finger prints (you are doing that right??). It means calling all references. It means dropping in unannounced. And it even means nanny cams in the house.

Your post sounds like you are unaware that being a Nanny is an actual profession that goes beyond watching your kids while you are away. First and foremost, Professional Nannies DO NOT work without a contract. Furthermore, Professional Nannies do lesson plans and plan excursions/field trips. Even with infants! They provide a curriculum. Children who have Professional Nannies should be well beyond their peers on the first day of kindergarten. Professional Nanny's not only know basic CPR, but in fact CPR, Infant CPR, First Aid and Communicable Diseases. And recognition of the onset of diseases. They at a minimum have an Associates in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education and they may have gone to Nanny School (yes, its a real thing!) Professional Nanny's are experts at dealing with discipline that works. Professional Nanny's are a team member in raising a child and more often than not several children in a household. They suggest things to the parents on what is and isn't working. And good parents listens and follows through. A Professional Nanny is not a babysitter or a robot. Your heart may have been in the right place with this post, but your sir, are seriously misinformed.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM

14 posts, read 96,684 times
I think that sums it up PERFECTLY....Well Said, Rese5ft10, Well Said.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,026 times
Thank you for all the advice. I have prior experience (5yrs), am CPR trained and a swim coach. I have had 4 to 5 families that offered me a job as a nanny and I am now working with a wonderful family. They have a 10 month old child. Yes, I agree it is a very hard job, but very rewarding. I do truly love babies/children and am very patient. I am making $15 an hour. Must get going now so I won't be late! ...which I completely understand is very important too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston