Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,958 times

Advertisements

I thought you guys would like this so here it is:

World's Most Boring Cities to Visit

You really have to look hard if you want to find something interesting in Houston. This is a city of heat, humidity, shopping malls, highways and traffic-jams. Houston is the fourth largest city in the USA, the largest town in Texas and its climate is hardly bearable. Apparently, there are around 100 days a year when the temperature exceeds 90 °F (32 °C) and the humidity adds extra degrees to the temperature. So, while in the city, you have no choice but to spend most of your time in air-conditioned buildings. Thanks to its huge energy industry, the city has become a playground for national and international giants. How romantic...

This is from a travel website. Houston ranks as the second most boring city in the world to visit according to them. What do you guys think?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I thought you guys would like this so here it is:

World's Most Boring Cities to Visit

This is from a travel website. What do you guys think?

You really have to look hard if you want to find something interesting in Houston. This is a city of heat, humidity, shopping malls, highways and traffic-jams. Houston is the fourth largest city in the USA, the largest town in Texas and its climate is hardly bearable. Apparently, there are around 100 days a year when the temperature exceeds 90 °F (32 °C) and the humidity adds extra degrees to the temperature. So, while in the city, you have no choice but to spend most of your time in air-conditioned buildings. Thanks to its huge energy industry, the city has become a playground for national and international giants. How romantic...
That's all well and fine. If the author wants romance, move to Rome.. good luck finding a job, affordable housing, acceptable taxes and good BBQ there.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Without reading the article, judging from the whiney prose I bet I can tell you what state the author is from

I'll take my boring, STABLE home over 'romantic' anyday.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
No suprise there really since, Houston has always been more of a business town than a tourist destination, granted that might change once Earthquest Adventures is opened.

They also listed Brussels, Zurich, Singapore, and Oslo so it's not like they just singled us out.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Common factor in most of those places, is they are considered 'working cities'. Places where many people move to earn a living, because they are business friendly.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Houston is a business city, I don't understand why people do not understand that aspect. Do they expect this to be like Las Vegas?

I see they also have my country of origination there too (Singapore). I have been plenty of times, lived there, and in no way is it boring.

Some of the other options aren't either. And I know Houston isn't boring, it's not like it's Miami or something but Houston has more than enough to have a good time.

I don't think the author has ever been to Jacksonville, Florida.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
OmShahi everything is relative. My daughter lived in Gainesville. She was approached by a man while in the K-Mart parking lot. He inquired where the "good" men's clothing store was. She relied, Jacksonville. The writer of the article should have considered that if one lives in Opelousas, Beaumont is exciting.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
That "article" by some blogger with nothing better to do has already been posted on here before. And it lists several other cities that aren't "boring" either.

Waste of time...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
umm you guys think you have the answer but being a business city is not an excuse to be boring. Theres got to be a reason why the best rock concerts are outside of Houston. I bet that has a lot to do who and where the more influential people reside and how much hate has built up between all these areas

Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Great rock concerts=Great cities? All this time I thought it was public spaces and available transportation.
Houston was never big on parks or mass transit. Just enough busses so the help could get to work. Anybody who wanted to be outside could go to the club. Parks were for poor people. That was Houston in the 40's and 50's.
Was it in the 70's that the City council member, when talking down doing some project on Montrose said why bother, there is nothing down in the Montrose but oddwads, *****s and weirdos. Our politics make us great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston