Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM

103 posts, read 250,728 times

Advertisements

My family and I are native Texans and we currently live in the Dallas, TX area, but we are ready to leave. The reasons are many, but mostly because my husband has better job opportunities in the Houston area. We are hoping to relocate our family at the first of the year, but the only place I can see us living is in The Woodlands. I am trying to get some insight on if there are certain parts of the Woodlands we should check into and certain areas to avoid. How are the high schools and is one better than the other? We have a daughter that will be moving during her Junior year.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 PM

bump

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
LOL - because there are no bad and ugly - we were confused. The Woodlands is beautiful and property values good. I do feel for her - this is going to be tramatic in the Junior year - but at least better than Senior!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, she is okay with moving. She has friends in Austin, Houston and in Dallas, so she will still visit and see them. She is open to meeting new people and "networking" as she calls it. She approaches it in a positive way. She will be a little sad to move, but she has had to do it many times before. We call her a "contract brat" instead of a "military brat". LOL

We think that The Woodlands is beautiful too, but have heard other opinions saying it was too fake, etc. and that you have to make over 100K to make it there. I guess we are kinda used to this since we are from Dallas though. LOL

Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0628 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, she is okay with moving. She has friends in Austin, Houston and in Dallas, so she will still visit and see them. She is open to meeting new people and "networking" as she calls it. She approaches it in a positive way. She will be a little sad to move, but she has had to do it many times before. We call her a "contract brat" instead of a "military brat". LOL

We think that The Woodlands is beautiful too, but have heard other opinions saying it was too fake, etc. and that you have to make over 100K to make it there. I guess we are kinda used to this since we are from Dallas though. LOL
I have heard the "fake" stuff, too - but helped locate people there that love it (even years later) - and they certainly did not come across to me as fake. What you won't have there as part of the diversity is economic. There are very few people making under the median Houston income of $40K.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM

I guess it is really the only place in Houston that I feel like I would want to live. I love the trees and shopping of course. I have mixed feelings about moving from the Dallas area, only because I was born and raised here. We drove down and visited a few places other than The Woodlands, like the Spring area and I was not impressed. It looked nice in some areas, but in others there were stores with bars on the doors. It just looked out of place. Sorry, but I am just being honest.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:

Not true at all & The Woodlands is no where near as pretentious as Dallas' most elite suburbs (West Plano, Frisco, Addison, North Dallas, Highland Park, etc).

Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 PM

That is good to know. I mean don't get me wrong I have friends in HP, Plano, Rockwall, Frisco Addison and they seem pretty down to earth. I guess I am just used to the pertentiousness (if that is even a word) that Dallas seems to have. I like the labels and but not the attitude that comes with it. LOL

Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
My family and I are native Texans and we currently live in the Dallas, TX area, but we are ready to leave. The reasons are many, but mostly because my husband has better job opportunities in the Houston area. We are hoping to relocate our family at the first of the year, but the only place I can see us living is in The Woodlands. I am trying to get some insight on if there are certain parts of the Woodlands we should check into and certain areas to avoid. How are the high schools and is one better than the other? We have a daughter that will be moving during her Junior year.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sc
The good:

Beautiful area
Nice town center and thriving mall
Growing community

The bad:

Too far from the city
Lacks diversity
too many trees
has an isolated feel

You'd probably like Kingwood too; it's just as green (if not more) than the Woodlands.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The good:

Beautiful area
Nice town center and thriving mall
Growing community

The bad:

Too far from the city
Lacks diversity
too many trees

has an isolated feel

You'd probably like Kingwood too; it's just as green (if not more) than the Woodlands.
The Woodlands has diversified much more than it used to be. Hispanics & Asians now make up a large part of the population. Its not the "Whites only" community you're thinking.

How can a place have "too many" trees? Trees help clean up bad air quality not to mention they are pretty & offer shade on scorching hot Summer days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston