Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times

Advertisements

I've been contemplating moving to Texas. I actually was living down here for a month. My top two choices are Houston or DFW because i just love the big city. The only thing is i have overly sensitive skin. Houston seems like a place that would irritate my skin because of the sub-tropical climate and mold spores. It seems like when i'm in Houston, i start itching but maybe that's my body just trying to adapt. I know Houston got mosquitos too but all of Texas does. Mosquito bites definitely cause itching.

Anyone from Houston who can tell me more about this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,145 times
Well one positive...if you move to Houston, you will not have to worry about anyone sitting to close to you on the bus.

Just keep scratching, all over, that will keep people back. hahaha!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,690,009 times
When I lived in Houston and worked at a salon, a few of our clients had exzema, some of it pretty rough. It seemed to be worse at the beginning of summer, and cleared up towards the end of summer and beyond. As long as they took care of it and used good medications it never got too out of hand. I couldn't say how it is in Dallas. We're outside of Austin now, and my daughter has a little of it on the back of her neck, but most of the time it never bothers her. My neighbors son has it on his ankles, and his flares up when he comes in contact with certain things like grasses. Mostly here, it's no big deal, or not as hard on the skin.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,814 times
Eczema is worse in summer for most people.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,172 times
i've seen the worst cases here. last week i saw a man with all his exposed skin to be literally crusty (like dried bruises)

Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
It's worse in the summer. My sister had it. I'd say from late May until early-August. That's about it.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 94,729 times
I have eczema, but my condition only becomes very bad in August when the heat is at it's worst. The humidity and heat in Houston make the condition horrible, but as long as you keep your medication and don't go out much during the hot months (6 months a year) then you will be able to manage it. During the cool months everything is wonderful!!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
6 months? My sister only had a hard time from June until mid-September.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:52 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,541 times
I had excema all through my childhood, until I was eighteen. It was then I met a man who seemed to know a lot about vitamins. He told me to take Vitamins E, A and zinc, all internally. After about two months of this regimen my eczema went away. It's been gone for twenty nine years and my skin looks (and is) very healthy. I still take many vitamins including the three I mentioned.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM

42 posts, read 240,154 times
sadly, yes Houston is pure hell for eczema sufferers (like myself)...

but hey I was born in this part of the state so I guess I've grown accustomed to the torture I experience due to the intermittent fllare ups I have. *shrugs*

I wouldn't wish eczema on my worst enemy...

(oh and PS...eczema is something that you are either born with or that you develop at a very young age...you do not just "have it" for a few months. most of the people born with it grow out of it by adulthood...for the rest of us...there is no known cure, only ways to "manage" the flare ups...*sigh*)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: