Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Not that this is an excuse, but NY, PAN, AK nor CA have a 1000 mile + border with Mexico.
LOL. Hey, Ronnie, look at a map - California borders Mexico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:47 PM

73 posts, read 351,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
He specifically qualified his statement as those 'not having a 1000mile+ border. California's just the 100ish mile border. Pretty significant difference.

I personally like the proof required, even it if does didly squat, I just had to apply for the first time in June. The whole system of a paper DL for over 30 days for me as just saddening to think thats the best that could be offered.

I was used to FL where you had similar requirements, but they would print them on the spot and hand them to you 10 minutes after your DL renewal was approved/completed if you missed the deadline to get it renewed online.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chh2 View Post
He specifically qualified his statement as those 'not having a 1000mile+ border. California's just the 100ish mile border. Pretty significant difference.
Not to East LA. It doesn't have to be a 1000 mile wide door - a 100 mile door is pretty significant.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 PM

344 posts, read 1,187,450 times
I read an article a while back about california cutting back at their DL offices. No more appointments, and people might have to wait 20 minutes, (while sitting in chairs, no less!). After chuckling about that, I had to wonder if there isn't a correlation between the services provided and the state of the state's budget.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its a good opportunity to interact with people you wouldn't normally see on a regular basis.

or smell....

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM

32 posts, read 104,032 times
Folks all of you were right on this issue, I bet the only solution to our DPS problem here in TX is Automation. If the State Govt is willing to invest on this very strategic job(handling Drivers Licenses and Registrations)like updating the system using the best method of handling transactions via web search or govt related E-verify structure, I guess this would have been so a breeze to all; Like place a machine in front and have someone pick a number, wait for that number to be called and presto you have a systematic procedure. The number system will generate its function whether a person is renewing or applying or would to register a vehicle. I mean come on, this is the right way to do it rather than having people to wait outside a small cramp antiquated facility. Likewise, it would be pleasing to the eyes of many that there is a system that works for all.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Of course it does, but I dare you to measure 1000 miles along that border. Everything's bigger in Texas!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Everything's bigger in Texas!
Including the lines at DPS...

Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM

32 posts, read 104,032 times
I know the border is an issue but not of the DPS but DHS. We have two entities here and we dont want to complicate that. There are illegals yes either asylum seekers or just plainly crossers. Thats one reason that the scope of the TSA's are no longer confined in the airports, seaports and other means of entry to the US but also had been considered as part of the Motor Vehicle verification system citing to the nature of the individual. The FBI, CBP, DHS and state local Sheriff and DMV's work together for this purpose. I am pro immigrant as most of us are. But we need to standardize and find a solution towards the DPS system. If the solution is legislation to upgrade certain budgets for its function so be it, all it needs is for its multitudes to say we need to reform the process and make it more effective. If we show the State that we are serious about this issue then everything that we aspire for a better process in the DPS will materialize. We need to let them know the power resides with people not to their mandated positions. This is the foundation of America, least not forget that.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,851 times
I renewed my license online last year through DPS' website. It was pretty quick and convenient, kind of like ordering something from Ebay--which makes me wonder if some of our neighbors haven't done the same, only they actually went to Ebay directly and avoided the hassle of dealing with the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston