Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
Has anyone noticed that the city keeps rich areas up real good like river oaks they never have bad roads or bad water or sewage. Then some place like gulfton the roads are so bad they shake your car apart there are places in the southwest I can't even get my car through I have to go on a bus.
I don't get the sense that you drive up and down Weslayan/Willowick very often...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
36 hours does not mean you were the first one after the storm with electricity. I turned on the radio the morning after Ike and on Kirby from Westheimer to Shepherd they all had their lights on already. Westheimer even had quite a couple of restaurants open the day after. My friend who technically lived in Houston (only a block away from Pasadena) didn't have his electricity restored for 10 days.
That's not very surprising. Centerpoint's priorities were to get hospitals, nursing homes and schools up-and-running as soon as possible, then grocers with refrigeration, then residential. How many grocery stores are there on that strip of Westheimer? How many apartments with geriatric residents? How many schools? Also, how many of those lights that you saw were running off of natural gas generators?

The neighborhood didn't have power restored for weeks. There are a lot of mature trees in River Oaks that are densely patterned. Ike did enormous damage to the "conventional" distribution lines in the neighborhood and it took a lot of doing to get the A/C's and lights running again.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
We just dont like counting our money in the dark. Besides other areas get different city services with my tax dollar.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,740 times
Quote:
The obvious reason that city hall decided to disfavor this area is because, there is a high concentration of immigrants living there and they do not have any politically backing
That makes perfect sense. Let's put the most cameras in an area where the people are the least likely to pay the tickets! brilliant theory.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with accidents.

There are several of these cameras in the Galleria area (which has some of the most affluent residents in town) so I guess they forgot about that.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM

190 posts, read 575,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
really? Your a troll please leave city data in peace my friend
Yeah, he's a troll alright...

We had power here about a day and a half after Ike. My co-worker, who lives in River Oaks, didn't get power back at his house until 2 weeks after Ike. Another co-worker, who lives in the Heights, didn't get his power back until the last week of Oct.

It wasn't all that much about who has money and who doesn't. It was more about who was on the same lines at hospitals, fire departments, police stations, grocery stores, etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
You do realize he's a 7th grader, right?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:28 PM

190 posts, read 575,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Who?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
lol no I didnt know!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,073 times
I have to chime in......I been in Houston a long time and grew up in poor area's. But I will tell you the roads are uniformly neglected regardless of rich/poor. Kirby/Buffalo speedway in between 610 south and 59 is a travesty.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Guess DH didn't know that stretch of Kirby where the pot hole did $1200 of damage to his car was the bad part of town.

Jimboburnsy is correct. You want electricity after a storm, move next to a hospital. They work need first, then the most service restored in the quickest time. Depends on what's causing the outage.

Any city who says we can annex and tax you years before providing services does not give a damn about any citizen, rich or poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston