Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM

56 posts, read 113,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just relocated from NYC to Houston and I'm really having a hard time adjusting. All the rules of engagement and interaction seem so different. People here are much much more polite but at the sametime are not as willing to assist with resolving issues that may arise. It's kind of like "that's your problem" but expressed politely. Yes, it may be my problem but helping doesn't hurt - especially if someone is new to an area (hint really bad DMV experiences). It seems that unless someone is trying to get you to use their services or buy something, its like your issues are your issues... Am I seeing this wrong? I know I'm painting a really broad brush with a handful of experiences but its really depressing me as of late. I'm willing to have my mind changed because I really do want this to work...

Any good advice out there on how to adjust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:48 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,681,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh1 View Post
Hi,

Just relocated from NYC to Houston and I'm really having a hard time adjusting. All the rules of engagement and interaction seem so different. People here are much much more polite but at the sametime are not as willing to assist with resolving issues that may arise. It's kind of like "that's your problem" but expressed politely. Yes, it may be my problem but helping doesn't hurt - especially if someone is new to an area (hint really bad DMV experiences). It seems that unless someone is trying to get you to use their services or buy something, its like your issues are your issues... Am I seeing this wrong? I know I'm painting a really broad brush with a handful of experiences but its really depressing me as of late. I'm willing to have my mind changed because I really do want this to work...

I'd start with avoiding the DMV...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,751,396 times
No one ever has a good experience at the DMV, anywhere. Luckily in Texas you can renew online the first time so you only have to go in once every 10 years.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,841,452 times
I was going to say, please don't judge people here or Texas by the DMV. I can say with complete confidence that most every experience you have here will be an improvement from that.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM

571 posts, read 1,283,320 times
Well, now that you know to stay away from the DMV I'd just say that, yeah, your experience and read of some people in Houston is pretty straight on the money.

That said, I think you'll find that people still DO care but Houston is one of those places where the mentality is very much "I'll leave it be, somebody else will help him" which we all know never really works. I'll admit, I'm guilty of it myself. That said, after your post, I'll try to make it more of a point to be helpful to somebody who asks for my help with something....maybe one day it will be you! :-D

Could you maybe elaborate a little on some of your experiences? Are they instances of you asking for directions and people ignoring you or is it more specific than that?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 AM

155 posts, read 542,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
No one ever has a good experience at the DMV, anywhere. Luckily in Texas you can renew online the first time so you only have to go in once every 10 years.
Agreed! Which one did you go to?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,291,306 times
Why don't we ever hear from people who work at the DVM? Or do we? I really would like someone from the DMV argue to support the service and attitude of the majority people the public interracts with, or confirm what most people experience as being lazy, uncarring, and slow. Anyone?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,919,310 times
Quote:
Hi,

I will echo everyone else; my God, please don't judge the rest of us by the DMV!!! A trip the DMV is enough to make women go mad, strong men weep and wail, and children scream! The DMV doesn't worry about rats, because even the rats won't go there....etc etc.

Honestly, I would like to hope you've just had a couple of random bad experiences. Generally, Texans are glad to help someone (as are New Yorkers). Now, there are a lot of folks here who just flat don't KNOW some things (for example, if you ask directions, half the time the person you ask doesn't know where you're talking about, many of them having just moved here themselves).

I will admit that, when I see someone broken down or in a wreck, my instinct is to call 9-1-1 for them instead of stopping to render aid. I know, I know, I should---but I just don't. I let the professionals handle it.

Hopefully, your experiences will get better. As others have asked, don't leave us hanging; what other bad things have happened to you besides the DMV?

(Oh, btw, I have lived in NYC as well, and have a lot of experience with Boston. The interpersonal cues are, in fact, totally different here than in those two places. That, I'm afraid, you just have to take one day at a time until you learn how those work HERE. One thing I do like better about NYC than anywhere in the south: if a New Yorker is your friend, you know that by his/her speech, looks, and actions. If they're your enemy, you know that too, by the same methods. In the South, you're never really sure because we're so "nice". Same thing in Minnesota, "Minnesota nice", just because they're being nice to you doesn't mean they're your friend or even like you. In NYC, there's never any doubt. Refreshing.).

Last edited by Malvie; 09-02-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 AM

24,034 posts, read 15,140,782 times
Several years ago, the DMV wanted more money. They mailed the renewal notices so late that everybody in Dallas had to go in person to get their tags. While standing in a line around the building complaining to each other, the crowd was addressed by a state employee. She said that this was not their fault and if we had a problem, call Rick Perry. She reminded us that all the prisoners in Texas had our VIN numbers. Texans do have a sense of humor. They are wary of strangers with yankee accents.

My daughter lives on the Upper West Side. She would not return to Houston for 10 million dollars.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 AM

90 posts, read 237,017 times
Quote:
It seems that unless someone is trying to get you to use their services or buy something, its like your issues are your issues... Am I seeing this wrong?
Nope! Your seeing this just fine. We all deal with the same thing and the people that are politely telling you this are correct. You need to do these things yourself, research your situation, take the needed steps, ask questions, do not think things are going to happen immediately, as a result you will become a happier more independent person.

Quote:
Relax, take things slow.... do not push people like they do up in the northeast. Smile, it will get further down here. I know, I live in both places.

Just some friendly advice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston