Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 PM

82 posts, read 103,209 times

Advertisements

What does the city of Houston have in store for its future? As I see all these bright and shiny 250k condominiums popping up all over the inner loop I seriously wonder how will it effect the surburban communities we have all grown to know and love? Are we coming close to the end of surburban sprawl? We all know Texans (Houstonians) we love our communities, the convenience of the Kroger/HEB/Wal-Mart at the mouth of each neighborhood and our churches that raised us and nurtured us...providing us with a culture with traditional southern values. How will the city "adapt" to the conveniences of suburban life? Yes there is much to do inside the loop, but how convenient is it really?

My family is from Conroe as well as west Texas and I see the "sprawl" slowly creeping up into our area. I just cant imagine, it seems like as Houston grows it just clashes with the establish communities and people. I would hate to see hwy 242 become dotted with apartments/condos and the usual suburban flare.

At the same time, and most of my family and friends agree, living in the city would be fun for a while but after marriage and kids...I just dont see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,227,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
What does the city of Houston have in store for its future? As I see all these bright and shiny 250k condominiums popping up all over the inner loop I seriously wonder how will it effect the surburban communities we have all grown to know and love?

At the same time, and most of my family and friends agree, living in the city would be fun for a while but after marriage and kids...I just dont see it.
There is your answer - young professionals will live in them until marriage and children occur. They will then sell to the young professionals coming in. And so on...and so on...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
There is your answer - young professionals will live in them until marriage and children occur. They will then sell to the young professionals coming in. And so on...and so on...
I am not completely convinced. Unless these people are coming in from out of town. Most of my friends, family, people in my church that I grew up with...co-workers...4h youth seem much more comfortable and in tuned with surburban life. Sure you can go to the museums, cafes, zoo, opera, theatre...etc once in a while but that type entertainment becomes costly...and its all spread out due to lack of zoning I suppose. I would rather spend time with my family and friends at home...in my nice quiet suburban home (for me its out in the country).

Economy is bad. Thank God I havent been directly effected by it but it has changed by perspective as well as my friends.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I am not completely convinced. Unless these people are coming in from out of town. Most of my friends, family, people in my church that I grew up with...co-workers...4h youth seem much more comfortable and in tuned with surburban life. Sure you can go to the museums, cafes, zoo, opera, theatre...etc once in a while but that type entertainment becomes costly...and its all spread out due to lack of zoning I suppose. I would rather spend time with my family and friends at home...in my nice quiet suburban home (for me its out in the country).

Economy is bad. Thank God I havent been directly effected by it but it has changed by perspective as well as my friends.
There are a lot of people moving into the Houston area from other states on job transfers - they either quite definately want the downtown thing or the suburban thing. Lots want the downtown thing.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of people moving into the Houston area from other states on job transfers - they either quite definately want the downtown thing or the suburban thing. Lots want the downtown thing.
Its amazing how Houston is changing so fast. Are you a male or a female?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Its amazing how Houston is changing so fast. Are you a male or a female?
F
And, yes, you are right, Houston is constantly changing.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
F
And, yes, you are right, Houston is constantly changing.
I am sorry! Nice to meet you Cheryl! I've been poking around city data for a while but rarely post. I am a bit of a stranger to you regulars...but I mean well. Feel like a country girl in the middle of a big city trying to understand Houston a bit better.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,333,944 times
Quote:

Many of the museums and the zoo, and Hermann Park, are all within walking distance, and you spend $50 and you've got yourself an annual pass. My wife takes our daughter to both the Children's museum and the Zoo every week, though we drive from Humble to do it!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:43 AM

739 posts, read 2,139,369 times
Work in the city (TMC) but will never give up the suburbs. I need the R&R the suburbs provides me from the rat race of the city.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM

249 posts, read 562,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
Work in the city (TMC) but will never give up the suburbs. I need the R&R the suburbs provides me from the rat race of the city.
Great example of how different people want different things. My wife and I both work in the city (me downtown, her TMC). Once we have kids, we might move a bit further out (Heights now) to the Memorial Villages or Bellaire, etc, but never further than that. To be perfectly honest, we could move to a slightly larger house on one of the nicer Heights streets and I would stay here forever. We're less than a 3 minute drive from both an HEB and Kroger Signature. I've just never seen the draw of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston