Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Houston and am living in the Galleria area. I chose this area because I work at 610 and I-10. I would like to move out to a city like Katy. Katy mainly becuase I believe the commute would be the shortest with a direct shot on I-10. Sugarland would also be nice but I dont want to go down 610 to catch the Westpark Tollway. I have seen different commute times from Katy but I wasn't sure if that was including the Katy toll rd? How long is the commute on the toll to 610?

Are there other areas besides Katy that might work? My budget is about $180k and would like a newer house. I know that 290 can be a mess so I have ruled that out. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,636 times
What time will you be going into work?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM

42 posts, read 188,899 times
In heavy traffic, around 6:30 am for instance, if you are alone in the car you are looking at about 45 - 60 minutes from Pin Oak to 610 loop (that includes time spent on Easy Tag lane). The problem is that the Easy Tag lane doesn't start until near highway 6. So that time from Pin Oak to 6 is what adds a large delay. If you carpool with another person, or drive in the HOV lane anyway (which I've seen people do) up to highway 6 Easy Tag entrance, you're looking at 35 - 40 minutes from Pin Oak to 610 at that time of the morning.

If you leave at 5 am or earlier, you won't need to take the Easy Tag lane and will get to 610 in 30 minutes.

You really should seriously think about what you're getting yourself into before you move out to Katy. It's not just about getting the most house for the money or the commute, think about the things that interest you as well as your political and spiritual beliefs. I lived inside the loop for 5 years prior to moving to Katy and now I'm not sure that it was a good idea. I don't have the same tastes, interests, ethnicity, political or religious beliefs as the majority of the people I've met in Katy. I may be selling in a year or two if I can't find my niche and get comfortable in my surroundings. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal that I'm not a Republican and that I'm not Christian, but it really is a big deal with most of the people I've met out there. Prepare to deal with a lot of ignorance if you suggest that you belief differently. Just something to think about. If you're a Republican and a Christian, particularly if you are white and all of those things, you'll fit in great and probably feel accepted immediately. I feel like a fish out of water and I miss the diversity and convenience of living in downtown Houston.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,290,932 times
This morning at 8am the traffic report said it took 35 mins from the grand to Ikea. Then add getting from house to grand and from Ikea thru 610 interchange to Galleria and your looking at close to an hour imo

And TEXAGGIE....you didnt feel this way at A&M? Im class of 90 and just curious.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,366 times
Texaggie pretty much summed up Katy perfectly.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM

42 posts, read 188,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
This morning at 8am the traffic report said it took 35 mins from the grand to Ikea. Then add getting from house to grand and from Ikea thru 610 interchange to Galleria and your looking at close to an hour imo

And TEXAGGIE....you didnt feel this way at A&M? Im class of 90 and just curious.
You can't rely on the news reports, they always seem to report on a delay. If they say there is an accident somewhere, by the time they announce it on the radio it's most likely already been cleared up. I've heard them announce that the highway was clear and flowing at normal speeds while I sit parked on the I-10 parking lot.

And yes, I did see some incidents of intolerance of A&M. However, I was fortunate enough to be in graduate school with mostly people over 25 years old that were mature enough to act like civil adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston