Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM

97 posts, read 274,812 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to live in Houston for $500-$1000 per month?

I thought about the East side but I want to go where there are a very limited amount of problems such as:
killings,robberies,home invasions,gangs,and so on and so on.

I just want to work and have a good life.

Can you give me some good info on this?

Thank you

Darrell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
First off all you really want to try and live within reasonable driving distance to a job, so the best place is usually the best place closest to your job. Fortunately I have an 8 min commute, but some of my co-workers have a nice 40+ minute commute in gridlock traffic, and they are always frazzled at work. I think in an earlier thread you mentioned you wanted to find work on the East side. Not all the East side is bad, and it's really only bad if you don't know your way around. In fact Deer Park is one of the more desirable places to live. The southern part of Pasadena around Fairmont Pkwy is nice. We live in Clear Lake, which is the farthest part of SE Houston, and it's pretty good here, too. There's lots and lots of industry in Pasadena, LaPorte, and Baytown that would probably lend itself to welding work. You can get a decent apartment or rental for your price range in places like Deer Park, the better part of Pasadena, LaPorte, or Clear Lake and have a short drive to work.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM

70 posts, read 194,543 times
We live right on Clearlake. Still Harris County and pay $865/mo for a 1200 sq. ft two bedroom place on the third floor with direct water views from all of our windows!

It's about a 45 minute drive downtown for me, sometimes less. My significant other works in Santa Fe, so this was a good compromise.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
It takes me 25-30min from Webster to get past downtown. Of course I go to work at 6am. But traffic going home at 5pm takes me 45 mins.

Good places

Webster
League City
Dickinson
El Lago
Deer Park
LaPorte
Clear Lake City
Nassua Bay

I'd avoid Pasadena, Houston (but not by Taylor Lake), ChannelView and Baytown.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,493 times
Me and my family of 5 including my self are look for a safe place to live near hobby airport please give me some suggestions

Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 AM

162 posts, read 554,040 times
there are killings, gangs, robberies and home invasions anywhere you go in houston. not just on the east side. In fact, there are more home invasions in the suburbs where the nice houses are.

everyone wants to work and have a good life in an affordable yet safe neighborhood. everyone.

houston is huge and there is something for everyone. rich neighborhoods. poor neighborhoods. ghetto neighborhoods. urban living. country living. a budget like 500-1000 a month pretty well covers the majority of the metro area, minus a handful of affluent neighborhoods

you are going to have to be a lot more specific to get more specific answers to your needs.
First off maybe figure out where youll work, as houston is so huge. you wouldnt wanna live in a southeast suburb if you are working in the northwest and end up with a 2 hour commute each way.

personally, i live in the east end my rent is less than your lowest end of your budget, and ive had no problems danger-wise around here, neither has my wife who is in her 20s and goes out alone all the time. im 5 minutes from downtown.
that being said its not for everyone as it is an "ethnic" area, which scares a lot of people off, and on top of that its not the nicest looking area. its not unsafe, its just poor and run-down, so everything is cheap.

but there are a lot of places like that in houston. just depends on what your specifics are for living standards.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 AM

341 posts, read 802,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcain4life View Post
Me and my family of 5 including my self are look for a safe place to live near hobby airport please give me some suggestions
Pearland would be my choice.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM

47 posts, read 175,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Pearland would be my choice.
I would add to that by saying the East side near Friendswood, not so bad of a drive as I do it everyday. Or if you're worried about ISD... you could go into Friendswood. Beware... taxes get a bit rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston