Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,125 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to install wood fence and automatic iron gate to secure my drive way.

Does anybody have any idea on the cost? I am in Houston, so any recommendation on the installer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM

99 posts, read 367,687 times
About $100/ft for the gate (i.e. 10 feet or so across) and about $1000 for a quality high end operator + remote control etc etc. The operator cost can get way lower than that, but you get what you pay for.

The wood fence depends on the quality and appearance you want. You could probably get a cheap fence for < $15/foot, but it's been a while since I bought a fence, so I'm not sure.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:53 PM

any installer can you recommend?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM

This guy is a welder and will manufacture your gate to your specification and install the gate and the operator:

JWC General Services
Josh Cruey

832-229-9474

You can find a gate operator online (ask Josh for where to buy) and he'll install it. You might need an electrician, but it would be too expensive or complicated.

It's been a while since I had my gate installed, and steel prices have gone up, so the price he quotes you might be slightly higher than what I said, but he'll still be much cheaper than going through a big company like Houston Fence.

For the wood fence, you'll need to just call a regular fencing company: Houston Fence, Griffin, Summit. One of those.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
There is a picture of a Mondrian pattern gate at the top left of this page

Homes

in my neighborhood. The guy also did a simpler gate across the street. I know he wasn't cheap, but let me see if I can find out who they used.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 AM

thank you guys.

I just find out that if I install the gate, it'd block the access to electricity meter I assume Centerpoint needs to read.

How do you guys deal with that?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM

430 posts, read 1,257,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
thank you guys.

I just find out that if I install the gate, it'd block the access to electricity meter I assume Centerpoint needs to read.

We had our builder put in a pedestrian gate on our side fence.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
thank you guys.

I'm not sure if that's your problem unless there is no other gate to get into the yard. That said, Centerpoint is legally allowed to enter yards if they have to, but often they just peek over the fence with binoculars. If they can see it from over the fence that's all they need.

While there are lots of issues with smart meters, one benefit is that they can be read remotely by someone with a receiver nearby. If you already have a smart meter - and more and more people do every month - this eliminates the need to see the meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston