Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM

23,969 posts, read 15,069,127 times

Advertisements

The thing that I consider feeling safe, along with security is compassionate neighbors. I may not see people on the block for 6 months. Some, I do not know except to wave in passing. A few, we talk nearly every day. When the ambulance came to the house the neighbors summoned the person they knew we were very close to who lived a few blocks over. It is very reassuring to know that if I went out and hollered for help, somebody would be here in 30 seconds.

There are also several older single women in the neighborhood who kinda look out for each other. The 50ish couples tend to all of us.

One of the reasons we delayed putting our house for sale is the knowledge that finding this kind of neighborhood again will be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
I live in a townhouse (end unit) that is ungated and I feel pretty safe. My neighborhood has both single family homes and townhouses. I think I felt just as safe when we lived in a single family home. If you're worried about it I would definitely suggest adopting a dog. I've noticed that since my dog passed away I worry more, especially when my SO is out of town. Not that my dog would have attacked anyone! But he always barked when he heard something.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Try to buy in a neighborhood that has mixed age groups. Retired couples make for the best security system!! Neighborhoods with all young families seem to be more interested in your activites than in something that doesn't "seem right."

Having a constable contract is another thing to look for as well. Also, no matter where you are anymore, keep your car in the garage and it will be safe. That's what garages are for...cars.
no, *driveways* are for cars. :P
Garages are for retired exercise equipment, Christmas decorations and freezers full of deer meat.

I'm with you on the retired people being best watch dogs. If I need to know what time my teenagers come or leave, I just ask the lady across the street. She reminds me of Mrs. Kravitz from Betwitched, only really sweet.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM

23,969 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Texas has some convoluted laws. The penalty for daytime breaking and entering is not as bad as at night. Many burglaries happen during the daytime.
HCSO says best deterrent is dogs and nosy neighbors.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I live in a townhouse (end unit) that is ungated and I feel pretty safe. My neighborhood has both single family homes and townhouses. I think I felt just as safe when we lived in a single family home. If you're worried about it I would definitely suggest adopting a dog. I've noticed that since my dog passed away I worry more, especially when my SO is out of town. Not that my dog would have attacked anyone! But he always barked when he heard something.
Instead of a dog, I adopted a Glock. It's not afraid to attack anyone I order it to, and it's bite is much worse than its bark.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Instead of a dog, I adopted a Glock. It's not afraid to attack anyone I order it to, and it's bite is much worse than its bark.
I'm a shotgun kinda dude. I have a 28 O/U Caesar Guerini next to the bed. That's just how I roll.

Ronnie

Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,331 times
So where are all these neighborhoods full of retired people? I think I should be looking there, don't you?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
So where are all these neighborhoods full of retired people? I think I should be looking there, don't you?
What's your price range? I'm sure all of us can ramble off several. You won't find many in the Master Planned Communities though. They're mostly are in the 1960's, or before, built neighborhoods.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What's your price range? I'm sure all of us can ramble off several. You won't find many in the Master Planned Communities though. They're mostly are in the 1960's, or before, built neighborhoods.
As low as possible. I suppose in theory I could go up to $170,000 with a mortgage payment, but if I can get a cheap one I can pay cash. I like the older homes, although I am not crazy about enormous yards.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,125 times
It's all perception, really. There is no such thing as "safe", and when you start thinking you're "safe", that's when you leave yourself open to problems.

I moved back to Houston from a town of 10,000 in Arkansas. "Mayberry". Except it's not Mayberry any more. There's crime all over the place, a tiny, ill-trained, inept police force; drugs (especially crystal meth and crack) all over the place. In-town (where I lived in my family home) was a war zone; "out in the country" (idyllic, right?) was no better; lots of robberies and rapes because there was NO ONE around.

Here in the city, the "gated communities" are such a joke---you think the crooks are deterred by your little gates? Really? Really?

Here's the best advice I can give you: it's a tough, cruel world. There are bad guys everywhere. You take the best precautions you can: have a dog. Buy an alarm system (when my 3 year contract at $34 a month is up with Broadview/ADT, I'm going with Smith Thompson). Buy a gun and keep it close, along with your cell phone. Always have an exit (that was one of my "musts" with a house, I had to be able to get out of every room through the window in case of fire, or if the bad guys were coming in the other way).

When you get home from work, look all the way around you before you get out of your car. Keep your doors locked when you're in the house alone. Let your dog bark a little when they hear a noise, then praise and thank them (they'll stop unless there really IS somebody in the driveway).

When you go on a trip, lock the jewelry in the bank vault, set the alarm, lock the house, put the dog in the car with you, and say, "I've done the best I can" and don't give it a second thought.

That's what I do, anyway.

As for townhouse/house, I don't think it makes any difference. I like a single family residence because of the space and privacy; I don't want to share walls; I like a back yard so I can let the dogs out without walking them; I just derive a lot of pleasure from my home, and as long as I can make the payment, nobody can take it away from me. But, if I have to move into a condo or apartment when I'm older, I won't mind, really. Just don't fool yourself that one place is safer than the other; it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: