Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the proposed plans for East Downtown?
Excellent 16 53.33%
Good 10 33.33%
Okay 3 10.00%
Poorly 0 0%
Terrible 1 3.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,608,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I'm not hoping for anything. I'm just going against what you are saying. Developers and whomever knew what kind of economic boost this stadium will have; that's one reason why it's getting built.

I like the way you are thinking A&M. I do want this to help spur the renaissance as I said earlier. I also really hope the mainstream public does embrace what is planned to be developed. I would like to see a mixture of South American/Asian themed developments there. Kind of like a little wordly/international culture there. I think that would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,519,025 times
I know I'm looking forward to making an annual trip to see FC Dallas beat the Dynamo.

And hey, nothing better than watching your team lose in your nice new stadium.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM

724 posts, read 1,688,779 times
The point is that an area has to be self-sustaining. The developers of course see this as an opportunity to make money. If the city spends billions and the developers make millions, then the net result is major inefficiency. But, the developers will support this type of economic "development."

Here, the developers are merely working at capturing a government subsidy and not truly partaking in a risk-taking venture. The subsidy is the billion dollar stadium built in the backyard of previously less desirable lots.

However, subsidy capturing "businessmen" generally create poor products. They will not do the necessary planning to ensure that this area is a good place to live. They will simply sell as much buildings (commercial and residential) as they can while the place is hot and then they will leave. When the place is no longer trendy, the structural defects will become apparent and property values will depress and the area will see no additional development. The people who wanted to see the area grow and who bought homes or businesses there will be left dissapointed. Dissapointment is the result virtually every time there is a well meaning government policy.

Five years from now, we will be debating why the soccer stadium failed to spur development. Everyone will have some idea like, "they needed bigger townhome lots", "the streets were too small," there wasn't a grocery store nearby," the "individual builder of the townhomes used inferior products," etc., etc. However, what people will likely not understand is that the poor quality and poor planning will have resulted from the subsidy. Without the subsidy, the developers would have been forced to build quality products or they would fail, as it should be.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
The point is that an area has to be self-sustaining. The developers of course see this as an opportunity to make money. If the city spends billions and the developers make millions, then the net result is major inefficiency. But, the developers will support this type of economic "development."

Here, the developers are merely working at capturing a government subsidy and not truly partaking in a risk-taking venture. The subsidy is the billion dollar stadium built in the backyard of previously less desirable lots.

However, subsidy capturing "businessmen" generally create poor products. They will not do the necessary planning to ensure that this area is a good place to live. They will simply sell as much buildings (commercial and residential) as they can while the place is hot and then they will leave. When the place is no longer trendy, the structural defects will become apparent and property values will depress and the area will see no additional development. The people who wanted to see the area grow and who bought homes or businesses there will be left dissapointed. Dissapointment is the result virtually every time there is a well meaning government policy.

Five years from now, we will be debating why the soccer stadium failed to spur development. Everyone will have some idea like, "they needed bigger townhome lots", "the streets were too small," there wasn't a grocery store nearby," the "individual builder of the townhomes used inferior products," etc., etc. However, what people will likely not understand is that the poor quality and poor planning will have resulted from the subsidy. Without the subsidy, the developers would have been forced to build quality products or they would fail, as it should be.
you are making more than enough sense, but being such a Debbie Downer

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you are making more than enough sense, but being such a Debbie Downer
But once you understand economics, you can make informed, rational decisions Unless your goal is to be like Aggie Bulldog, of course.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent point.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
But once you understand economics, you can make informed, rational decisions Unless your goal is to be like Aggie Bulldog, of course.
oh, I understand what you are saying. Just saying that you are a downer man.

just busting our little bubbles.

This area is gonna be the best ares on Earth Every body and their cousin are gonna wanna move their.

Restaurants are gonna pop up all over the place, and shopping areas. Its jut gonna be marvelous..

Wait and see.

LET ME LIVE IN MY LA LA LAND

Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
oh, I understand what you are saying. Just saying that you are a downer man.

This area is gonna be the best ares on Earth Every body and their cousin are gonna wanna move their.

Restaurants are gonna pop up all over the place, and shopping areas. Its jut gonna be marvelous..

Wait and see.

LET ME LIVE IN MY LA LA LAND
I think we are all in your LA LA LAND!!!!!!LOL

Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Bubbles always burst. The trick is to recognize them and not be left holding the bag.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Bubbles always burst. The trick is to recognize them and not be left holding the bag.
Oh don't worry, I don't carry my bubbles in a bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston