Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the proposed plans for East Downtown?
Excellent 16 53.33%
Good 10 33.33%
Okay 3 10.00%
Poorly 0 0%
Terrible 1 3.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why the doubt?????
I just do not believe that soccer has the fan base for a huge revitalization of the area. But I do hope to be proven wrong. That area deserves a sort of renaissance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
It may. Soccer more of an international thing more than it is a US sport. Considering that Houston has suck a large international population, I don't see why wouldn't there be a large fan based. Also, this stadium is going to be new. People love new things! New things are attractive!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
I just do not believe that soccer has the fan base for a huge revitalization of the area. But I do hope to be proven wrong. That area deserves a sort of renaissance.
you are forgetting Houston's huge international population

Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you are forgetting Houston's huge international population

No, Not forgetting the international population, just doubting the embrace of the mainstream population base.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
No, Not forgetting the international population, just doubting the embrace of the mainstream population base.
that is why they are building more than just a soccer field

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
Quote:
It may. Soccer more of an international thing more than it is a US sport. Considering that Houston has suck a large international population, I don't see why wouldn't there be a large fan based. Also, this stadium is going to be new. People love new things! New things are attractive!
This is pretty weak analysis. You have ignored that we already have a football stadium by the old baseball stadium and it hasn't led to a revitalization there. Soccer is incredibly popular. That is true, but the evidence is that sports stadiums don't revitalize areas. They are huge facilities that people come to from out of the immediate area. Few people live by Reliant, but everyone shows up on the game day. In fact, few people want to live by a stadium. So, the investment may actually drive people away.

I'm not opposed to a stadium, but if it made sense financially then it would be financed by a profit seeking enterprise, not the taxpayer. But, you have countered that with "People love new things! New things are attractive!"

But A&M Bulldog is correct. People do love new things. Look at the CityCentre development by Memorial. That is new and people love it. But, it was financed by the private sector. It was designed to create what people wanted, a walkable area with nice shops and restaurants. People generally don't want to live next door to a huge stadium and have all that pedestrian and vehicle traffic in their area.

And, the private sector located CityCentre in an area where it didn't have an albatross around its neck in the form of a failing school system.

To be certain, the stadium will be enjoyed. But after the game, people will leave.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that is why they are building more than just a soccer field

I just hope that what ever does get developed in the area gets embraced and supported by the whole city/population base. When El Mercado Del Sol was developed in the mid 1980's it was not embraced by any population base and that building is located just around the corner from this vicinity.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
This is pretty weak analysis. You have ignored that we already have a football stadium by the old baseball stadium and it hasn't led to a revitalization there. Soccer is incredibly popular. That is true, but the evidence is that sports stadiums don't revitalize areas. They are huge facilities that people come to from out of the immediate area. Few people live by Reliant, but everyone shows up on the game day. In fact, few people want to live by a stadium. So, the investment may actually drive people away.

I'm not opposed to a stadium, but if it made sense financially then it would be financed by a profit seeking enterprise, not the taxpayer. But, you have countered that with "People love new things! New things are attractive!"

But A&M Bulldog is correct. People do love new things. Look at the CityCentre development by Memorial. That is new and people love it. But, it was financed by the private sector. It was designed to create what people wanted, a walkable area with nice shops and restaurants. People generally don't want to live next door to a huge stadium and have all that pedestrian and vehicle traffic in their area.

And, the private sector located CityCentre in an area where it didn't have an albatross around its neck in the form of a failing school system.

To be certain, the stadium will be enjoyed. But after the game, people will leave.
I disagree with stadiums not spurring off development. Birmingham is getting is own dome in the future. A new Westin hotel and an entertainment district are in the works. When people leave a game from a stadium, they want to stop by nearby places for shopping, entertainment, rest, eating, etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
Quote:
I disagree with stadiums not spurring off development. Birmingham is getting is own dome in the future. A new Westin hotel and an entertainment district are in the works. When people leave a game from a stadium, they want to stop by nearby places for shopping, entertainment, rest, eating, etc.
I thought we were shooting for higher than just another shopping / food / hotel area. Anytime the taxpayer spends billions on something, I would hope at least a few restaurant jobs are created. Reliant did get a hotel in the immediate area but it did not create what you are hoping for.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm not hoping for anything. I'm just going against what you are saying. Developers and whomever knew what kind of economic boost this stadium will have; that's one reason why it's getting built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston