Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times

Advertisements

Traffic will be pretty heavy. Then someone decides to drive literally two feet behind you going 40 mph. If the car fifteen feet in front of you slams on its brakes then you are getting rear ended by a pick-up with a grill. Why do drivers do this?

Today it happened again. I made a non-obscene gesture to the driver in question to indicate my displeasure. He then gunned it off the exit ramp and gave me the finger.

Why do people insist on tailgating in heavy traffic? I'm sure Aggie Bulldog does this, but are there so many other idiots out there who just don't know better? It really does amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,411 times
Don't make signals at these utter, utter turds.

Merely back off the throttle as slowly as safely possible to build up your safety gap without showing a brake light.

If they continue to tailgate then you need to factor in additional room to account for their idiocy and lack of driving skill.

It also seems to annoy them quite a lot which is a big bonus .

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Traffic will be pretty heavy. Then someone decides to drive literally two feet behind you going 40 mph. If the car fifteen feet in front of you slams on its brakes then you are getting rear ended by a pick-up with a grill. Why do drivers do this?

Today it happened again. I made a non-obscene gesture to the driver in question to indicate my displeasure. He then gunned it off the exit ramp and gave me the finger.

Why do people insist on tailgating in heavy traffic? I'm sure Aggie Bulldog does this, but are there so many other idiots out there who just don't know better? It really does amaze me.
Bad driving habits for sure. I went out of town with a lifelong friend who I haven't ridden with for years ..... and oh yes, 3 hours of her driving just as you describe ... I was so happy to be out of that vehicle ... two close calls and one actual bump. Never again will I be her passenger.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Don't make signals at these utter, utter turds.

Merely back off the throttle as slowly as safely possible to build up your safety gap without showing a brake light.

If they continue to tailgate then you need to factor in additional room to account for their idiocy and lack of driving skill.

It also seems to annoy them quite a lot which is a big bonus .
That doesn't seem to help much either. I have sloooooowly slowed down to #1) increase the safety gap and #2) hope the tailgater will then go around me to tailgate someone in front of me instead.

They just get mad and stay there and get even closer. Their alternative is to go around and slam on the brakes, while making the gesture.

Let's face it - they actually ARE turds.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I hate when people that do that crap. As if riding someone's bumper actually makes traffic go faster. 99% of the losers that try to tailgate me are SUV's or little economy cars. I wait until the road opens up, and then show them how difficult it really is to tailgate me.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
That doesn't seem to help much either. I have sloooooowly slowed down to #1) increase the safety gap and #2) hope the tailgater will then go around me to tailgate someone in front of me instead.

They just get mad and stay there and get even closer. Their alternative is to go around and slam on the brakes, while making the gesture.

Let's face it - they actually ARE turds.
True but I find when the speed gradually drops and drops they move to other lanes and go for the overtake.
It's at this point I accelerate hard in 3rd gear back to my target maximum legal speed and they come steaming past some considerable time later in another lane once their ****box car has managed to put some speed on.
The joys of 911 ownership never cease

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
True but I find when the speed gradually drops and drops they move to other lanes and go for the overtake. You are possibly not slowing down enough- remember it's for road safety.
It's at this point I accelerate hard in 3rd gear back to my target maximum legal speed and they come steaming past some considerable time later in another lane once their ****box car has managed to put some speed on.
The joys of 911 ownership never cease
Yes!!!!! I love it!
Not much gonna hang with a 911!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
Sounds like we are all in agreement. The tailgaters are idiots. I will never understand why they get so angry either.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Sounds like we are all in agreement. The tailgaters are idiots. I will never understand why they get so angry either.
Because we are in their way!!!

If you will look closely, in most cases these are probably people that are powerless in 98% of the things making up their lives. On the road, they get to rev it up and feel a little powerful.

At least, that's what I like to think - so that I don't become too angry in traffic.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
I don't get it either. Just pass me on by already and get off my a$$.

On an up-note regarding Houston drivers: was on my way to IAH to pick up my parents when traffic slowed for stalled vehicle in 2nd to left lane. Woman looked to be in tears but it was so nice to see a pickup pull over to the left shoulder of the beltway & another stop behind her. Together, the 3 men directed traffic & pushed her car out of the way. While there were a couple of turds that did their best to run down the Good Samaritans, it was nice to see them taking the time to help this woman out.

Then several hrs later, it was back to the burbs just in time to witness a screaming hissy fit between 2 female drivers arguing about the acceptable use of horns. They were so loud and crazed my 2.5 yr old son got alarmed and asked "Mommy - loud! What's wrong?" as he craned his neck to watch their antics.

Ho-ho-ho! 'Tis the season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: