Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

First, yes I know they aren't real starving artists and they aren't real original oil paintings (despite what they say on TV). I know they are just prints of Bed, Bath & Beyond print quality ..... but despite that sometimes those things can add some color to a wall w/o spending a ton of $$. So that said, has anyone been and found prints worthwhile of buying or is it a total waste of time even for prints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Read thread "So called starving artist sale in Pittsburg - Scam alert".

Anyway, I've never been to one, but based on the ugly paintings on the commercial, I was never tempted even. I figured they put the best ones in the commercial, and those looked cheap and ugly. If you ask around, you can find better stuff at lower cost to fill your wall with colors.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Yeah, I would think they would be mostly bad Thomas Kinkade imitations, (as if the real thing is worth hanging). I think you would do better to just go to Z-Gallerie or somewhere like that and look. They have a pretty good print selection.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
First, yes I know they aren't real starving artists and they aren't real original oil paintings (despite what they say on TV). I know they are just prints of Bed, Bath & Beyond print quality ..... but despite that sometimes those things can add some color to a wall w/o spending a ton of $$. So that said, has anyone been and found prints worthwhile of buying or is it a total waste of time even for prints?

Against my better judgement, I went to one (in Sugar Land) about 2 years ago. My office walls were bare, and the reconfiguration of the office gave me an interior office. I couldn't stand being in a rectangular, off-white box all day, so I went. Bought 3 large paintings (and they're not bad; seascapes) for $300 framed. Ok, they are NOT "great art"--but they perked up a blank office for very little cash and were "disposable"---if I got tired of them or whatever, no big deal. Not everybody can or wants to spend thousands of dollars on artwork.

Go and see, it's the only way you'll know.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:52 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Thanks Malvie - just looking for quick color that if I want to dispose of in a year or two and change out - its no loss.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Thanks Malvie - just looking for quick color that if I want to dispose of in a year or two and change out - its no loss.
Well, see, that was my thought. And, they really are oil paintings. I have no idea how/when/where/by whom they were painted, but they are nice. And, if you get tired of them (I tend to do that with colors, scenes, etc), you haven't wasted a lot of money. You can probably sell them on craigslist.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Go to www.art.com and shop the prints. Really cheap and a huge selection. Then pick up frames at Hobby Lobby and have them mat them and install in the frame. Really cheap. I bought a lot over the years for staging homes. Even had one buyer demand that we leave one picture. Oh, OK, it ran me less than $40 with the frame and mat.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 15,384 times
I went yesterday. I thought all the artwork was beautiful! The only problem is it is very crowded and the good paintings go fast, so get there early. I bought two beautiful pictures of Italy. If you the pictures framed there, that is extra $. They are oil paintings. Im sure they are produced somewhere in China, but c'mon, if this was a "real artist" the paintings would not be so cheap! Go there and be ready to bump into people. It will not be easy to maneuver once you get in. Good luck and enjoy! I will be going to another next year!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,458 times
I went when I was pretty much right out of college looking for anything decent to hang on the wall. I left with nothing, for the above reason. Horrid stuff, and not really cheap, for what you are getting.

If you need some inexpensive wall art, just go to a few Marshall's, Home Goods, Garden Ridge Pottery, etc. Avoid these at all costs.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,498 times
Those oil paintings are usually created in a mass produced, assembly line type set up. Each person is responsible for a part of a painting, they paint it, then slide it down the line.

That being said, for some decorator art, sometimes its fairly nice looking, and if you put a decent frame on it, it looks better than prints.

I think you can often do better at places like the Antique Center of Texas or places like that and don't have to wait for these types of sales.

Another place, if you are interested in some decorator art, is to check out Davis Hardware. They get tons of prints and oils from market, but often make very nice custom frames for affordable prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston