Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Pretty obvious who has a toddler and who doesn't. It's one thing to remember those days (if you can), and it's another completely different situation trying to plan, and leaving for a vacation with one.

If the OP hasn't been run off yet:
300ZX summed it up pretty nicely, if you can effectively read the post.

If you are interested in the Central Houston - Bay Area/NASA - Galveston strip, you can take a flight to Hobby (HOU) and drive into the NASA area to stay. You'll be halfway between Central Houston and Galveston for day trips to each. IMO Hobby is a much easier airport to deal with.

You could also stay at the Galleria area, and go into Central Houston, then out towards Chinatown and all those shops on Harwin. My daughter (toddler) seemed to get a kick out of the toy stores and a few other junk stores. Those Mexican fruit carts are a good treat for all.

Honestly, for a 3-4 day trip, it's a draw between Houston, DFW and San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
I think a toddler would get a kick out of NASA. And what about san antonio would a child enjoy sooooo much more than houston, the river walk? historical missions? maybe seaworld but thats the only advantage I could see.
A toddler will pretty much get a kick out of anything you want them to. You point and say "look look!" and they'll do just that. And as I've already stated there's plenty of things in San Antonio for kids to get into.

But we're talking about a toddler here. Practically a baby and hardly a kid. Not much is required for their amusement, and as someone pointed out earlier, they aren't even going to remember it later in life. The OP should just go wherever he/she finds the most interesting and where it would be easier for toting a small child around.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM

346 posts, read 739,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
A toddler will pretty much get a kick out of anything you want them to. You point and say "look look!" and they'll do just that. And as I've already stated there's plenty of things in San Antonio for kids to get into.

But we're talking about a toddler here. Practically a baby and hardly a kid. Not much is required for their amusement, and as someone pointed out earlier, they aren't even going to remember it later in life. The OP should just go wherever he/she finds the most interesting and where it would be easier for toting a small child around.
Very true, which is why I think the OP should just look into a couple locations that interest them and enjoy them thoroughly. True little ones are quite easy to please

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Exactly. People are acting like it will really matter whether or not the child is in Houston or San Antonio. I know the difference between a child and a toddler and my purpose was; San Antonio was much better to me [it's closer to being a toddler than an adult].

Lets stop acting like Houston is that impressive that even toddlers would prefer it. You could go to any city and the toddler would "enjoy?" them all the same. I still say San Antonio though.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Pretty much. Either city would be just fine.

I will point out though, that I personally would prefer a trip to San Antonio with a child. But I guess that's only because I know the roads better, and considering you avoid the rush hours, it seems to be less of a hassle to get from point A to point B. Getting from the Park/Zoo area to the Riverwalk/Alamo area is an absolute breeze.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but aside from the museums, the Central Library in downtown SA should also be a lot of fun.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
. I think a toddler would get a kick out of NASA. And what about san antonio would a child enjoy sooooo much more than houston, the river walk? historical missions? maybe seaworld but thats the only advantage I could see.
No, actually if you have a toddler (18-36 months), you would know that the noises/ sounds / general "unfamiliarity" of NASA would probably scare the living daylights out of a normal toddler. 5-10 years old is more "age appropriate" for NASA. Toddlers aren't aware of the solar system or space travel or any of the other "cool" science stuff that elementary school aged kids get into.

Toddlers generally do best with zoos, trains, and things that hold their attention like a puppet show or kids theatre. Even toddlers who LOVE trains are often scared to death the first time they see one in real life.

San Antonio's Riverwalk provides a lot of entertainment for small children- the boat rides, the street performers are often geared towards smaller kids with balloon animals, etc. Sea World is a good option, too. San Antonio has a great kids museum about 2 blocks off the Riverwalk. The San Antonio zoo is great. San Antonio also better meets OP's criteria of walkable/cabs, no driving, as almost all major attractions are in a 1 mile radius.

As for the Alamo and other historical sights mom & dad might enjoy more than the toddler, strap him in his stroller and time those visits during his normal nap times. Problem solved.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Lol, I think a 9-10 year old might be too "cool" for NASA, unless of course they're into science.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Lol, I think a 9-10 year old might be too "cool" for NASA, unless of course they're into science.

Study: Houston is fourth-dumbest city in US | khou.com | khou.com Local News

Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM

You lost me here.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
You lost me here.
She's calling you dumb or something about your post was dumb. The overall gist, dumb. However, I agree with you. When I first visited NASA I was about 9 or 10 and it bored me to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston