Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 AM

21 posts, read 47,637 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have been searching for our first home in a good school district. We have looked at Sugarland, Riverstone, Aliana, Cinco Ranch, Pearland etc. We like Sugarland area but we are not able to find good/newer homes (within 5 years of construction) within our budget of ~300k. As far as Riverstone is concerned, only the back end of it has newer homes (the area which we didn't like) but the front end area was good. Cinco Ranch and Aliana seem to be our other options left as Pearland makes it necessary for me to take a tollway for daily office commute.

Office commute wise, Aliana and anything in Cinco Ranch East upto Grand Mission blvd seems good to me.

In Aliana, we liked the Highland Homes and Conventry homes (both seemed to be above our budget range) and the community is still developing. We didn't like the Aliana community on the other side of 1464 (near the clubhouse). Any ideas on Aliana community in general and Highland Homes in particular ?

Unlike other posts on this forum, we are fine with whoever are neighbours are as long as we are in a good and safe neighbourhood with a good school district (Oh btw we are indians too). We don't have kids yet but planning soon.

Kindly let us know if you'll have any suggestions about good neighbourhoods and about Highland Homes in Aliana.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavared View Post
Office commute wise, Aliana and anything in Cinco Ranch East upto Grand Mission blvd seems good to me.
Where is the office?

Does Cinco Ranch east have new construction? I thought most of that was about the same age as a lot of what's in Sugar Land...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM

258 posts, read 954,793 times
Seems like there are these requests once a week in the Houston section, and each person has an amazing budget ( > 300k ). I'm curious as to what industry/reason has sought the person/family to relocate here.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM

AK123, my office is located right of westheimer and beltway 8. I couldn't find any newer homes in Cinco ranch east but I see lot of new homes in westheimer lakes which is quite far for commuting.

Btw Phaze, my intention is to stick below 300K. originally the realtor we were working with showed us only homes above 300K while our budget being <270k and nothing in our budget seemed to our liking. This created an impression on us that all good homes are priced above 300k. Btw I have been in houston for the last 8 years but always rented. I hope I was able to answer your question.

thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Seems like there are these requests once a week in the Houston section, and each person has an amazing budget ( > 300k ). I'm curious as to what industry/reason has sought the person/family to relocate here.
I would take a stab and say it's oil/gas/energy or IT related to oil/gas/energy. I think I have 3x more friends who are transplants than who are native texans. Houston also has a large medical center so many transplants who come here with good jobs are also in that sector.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM

139 posts, read 356,188 times
Yes I would say health care, Engineering firms, & oil/gas.

I am in health care and basically it was a no brainier to relocate here. Roughly the same pay and MORE bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post

Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 PM

139 posts, read 356,188 times
Aliana has not sold well and many of the higher end home builders have moved out. Now a lot of cheaper home builders have come into fill that void. If you drive by you can see that there is quite a few empty lots. I guess the fact that it really was not close to any major roads except maybe 99 and the economic downturn had an impact.

Quote:
Hi,

We have been searching for our first home in a good school district. We have looked at Sugarland, Riverstone, Aliana, Cinco Ranch, Pearland etc. We like Sugarland area but we are not able to find good/newer homes (within 5 years of construction) within our budget of ~300k. As far as Riverstone is concerned, only the back end of it has newer homes (the area which we didn't like) but the front end area was good. Cinco Ranch and Aliana seem to be our other options left as Pearland makes it necessary for me to take a tollway for daily office commute.

In Aliana, we liked the Highland Homes and Conventry homes (both seemed to be above our budget range) and the community is still developing. We didn't like the Aliana community on the other side of 1464 (near the clubhouse). Any ideas on Aliana community in general and Highland Homes in particular ?

Unlike other posts on this forum, we are fine with whoever are neighbours are as long as we are in a good and safe neighbourhood with a good school district (Oh btw we are indians too). We don't have kids yet but planning soon.

Kindly let us know if you'll have any suggestions about good neighbourhoods and about Highland Homes in Aliana.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
AK123, my office is located right of westheimer and beltway 8. I couldn't find any newer homes in Cinco ranch east but I see lot of new homes in westheimer lakes which is quite far for commuting.
Maybe someone else can chime in about new construction, but, I would go with Aliana over Westheimer Lakes any day. Westheimer Lakes is way too far out if you ask me. At least Aliana is relatively close to Sugar Land. Plus there are a few developers who apparently want to build low-income apartments next to Westheimer Lakes.

I don't know much about Highland, but their homes look nice from their website.

As far as home sales, I don't think location was Aliana's problem. In addition to the economy, I think they didn't have good marketing. There was an article that the developer, from north Dallas, had no clue about the Houston market and that the homebuilders didn't think the lots were the right design or something. Since then, a Newland (Cinco Ranch, Telfair) former VP was wooed by Aliana Development, so things will probably change for the better. I know a few people in there... all professionals who work anywhere from the Energy Corridor to the Med Center to Sugar Land, an entrepreneur, and I think there's even an NFL player somewhere in there.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 PM

95 posts, read 322,658 times
I've worked with Highland Homes in Bridgeland and have been very impressed. The build quality has been great great, a lot of standard features, and the sales and construction staff have been great to work with.

With that said, builders can vary quite a bit from community to community.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I would take a stab and say it's oil/gas/energy or IT related to oil/gas/energy. I think I have 3x more friends who are transplants than who are native texans. Houston also has a large medical center so many transplants who come here with good jobs are also in that sector.
Houstonfan and MDinTelfair, you'll are right on the money. I do work in Oil/Gas sector but don't make as much as the perception of the industry seems to be. Its just that with years of cost saving/cutting, that I'm able to think about it now.

And thanks for the inputs all of you'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston