Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 PM

56 posts, read 134,842 times

Advertisements

OK...few months ago, TX seemed like the "dream place to be" people and activities wise ..Now on the housing aspects it seems like every posts are talking about how dangerous it is and how home robberies are no stranger..I'm getting a little bit worried as I'm already on my way to Houston.
I haven't found a place yet but planned to do so when I get there so I can have an idea of the neighborhood I'm moving to do. I heard, UH, SE, NW and SW areas are very dangerous? so does that mean W, E, SE, NE are the safe ones? I really need help on knowing exactly which SAFE areas to look into for a nice apartment ($800-$930). Any advices or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!Im freaking out a little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Houston Metro has 6 million people. Statistically speaking even if a very low % of people experience crime that would still be a lot of people.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 AM

7 posts, read 19,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
OK...few months ago, TX seemed like the "dream place to be" people and activities wise ..Now on the housing aspects it seems like every posts are talking about how dangerous it is and how home robberies are no stranger..I'm getting a little bit worried as I'm already on my way to Houston.
I haven't found a place yet but planned to do so when I get there so I can have an idea of the neighborhood I'm moving to do. I heard, UH, SE, NW and SW areas are very dangerous? so does that mean W, E, SE, NE are the safe ones? I really need help on knowing exactly which SAFE areas to look into for a nice apartment ($800-$930). Any advices or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!Im freaking out a little
Kemah Texas is safe,,,

Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Even Disneyland has crime. Like chris_ut said, when you have 6 million people, you are going to hear about more crime, even if it is statistically less than then the 5000 person town I grew up in. If my hometown had 1% crime annually - that's 50 people affected. If Houston had 30,000 people affected, it sounds scarrier but the crime rate is actually sliced in half.

Also, Houston is not easily defined. You can't say the West side is "safe" and the NW side is crime-ridden. It doesn't work that way.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
The city-data forum is not reality. Don't reach too much in to what anyone here posts.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 AM

7 posts, read 16,963 times
Quote:
Some of those area seem the opposite of what this 30+ Houston veteran would consider. As others have said, Houston is a huge sprawled out city, and there are many areas that could be considered desirable or undesirable. But nowhere can really be called absolutely SAFE. A lot would depend on where you're going to be working, how far you are willing to drive, or whether you want to or have available of Park&Ride to work.

I lived in the SW area of town many years ago - out 59 south. Would not recommend that area anymore, seems to have more crime and gangs than many years ago, and most of Houston nowadays. SE - again, would not recommend. Thats getting closer to ship channel area, worse air quality, etc. I'm currently living in NW area, lots of single family subdivisions mixed with many apartment complexes, and I generally consider it a very nice area. 1960 has lots of restaurants and shopping without the hassle of the closer in town Westheimer/Richmond thoroughfares. NE would have Kingwood area, as a desirable location. The further out you get, the nicer (and safer) an apartment you can get for the same money. BUT - watch out for some apartment complexes located close to freeways, such as off 1960 near 45 north - there can be lots of teens/20 somethings there that seem to hang around the parking lots a lot. You can learn a lot about an apartment complex just by visiting, looking around the parking lots at the cars/people you see. Or talk to a good apartment location service when you get to town.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM

56 posts, read 134,842 times
Thank you to everyone for the infos. Also, I've heard that home robberies happen often in the suburban areas..is that true?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Well, home robberies are going to happen where the homes are. Burglary is a crime of convenience, a first floor in the back with no alarm is going to have a higher chance than a second floor near the front with an alarm.

According to some that post, we also appear to have a hurricane or flood every day. All forums are going to have drama queens. Some wear pants.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Take this stuff with a grain of salt. Most of the posters here would say that I live in a very bad part of town. They regularly tell people to avoid my area. Much of the talk is just that. We had some cars broken into 6 years ago. They were in the driveway, unlocked. One of the outraged owners was a DEA agent.
Yes, break ins happen. Someone might follow you home from the mall. Just don't be flashing your money around. Like my daughter said when she moved to Manhattan. What is the point of having a 3 carat ring when you can't wear it?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
We had the same thing crone was talking about---CRIME WAVE!!!! EVERYBODY HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!!

Ok, the one stolen car, the guy left the car in the driveway (not the garage) with the keys in it and the windows down overnight. Where in the whole world can you do that?

As others have pointed out, you can't really say one area is safe and another is bad---there are "safe" and "bad" areas all over any big city. You can be mugged/robbed at the Galleria and walk down the street in the 5th Ward and never be bothered. It's relatively random.

Suggest getting a good apartment locater to help you; they will know where the good and bad complexes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston