Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 36,997 times

Advertisements

I live in a 20-yr-old house in Sugar Land, and have just inherited a Thermador electric Double Oven from my brother-in-law, as he's doing a remodel on his much-nicer house.
Our kitchen currently has a single oven (original, 20yr old) with a microwave above it. So it's 2 openings in that cabinet. By the looks of the installation manual on the new oven, the opening in my current cabinet needs to be expanded. However, there doesn't seem to be enough space vertically, as the larger opening would extend into the area of the cabinet drawer that's below the current oven.

I imagine I could get by using a local carpenter to figure out a way, possibly even creating a custom cabinet to fit?

Has anyone upgraded from a single to a double oven and had to deal with something like this?

Thanks for any information you can pass along!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM

243 posts, read 799,806 times
you will have to add an additional oven circuit, won't you? if so, its probably minimum 30 amp 240 volt.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Some things to consider:

* Measure the overall size of the Thermador. If it will fit in your current cabinet, then you can hire a trim carpenter to rebuild it for you. It's relatively easy to take out doors/drawers and rebuild. However, if it's too WIDE to fit, you're SOL.

* Check your circuit. cyb is correct in that you may have a smaller circuit than the Thermador requires. For example, a double over, both self-clean, may draw 30-40 amps. A single may only take a 20 amp circuit. You can do this yourself; go to your elec panel, see what's labeled "oven", and see how many amps it is. Then see what the TDor requires.

* Some older TDor ovens were venting. Like a hood. They did this to exhaust the heat outside, esp during the self-clean cycle, and not dump it back in the kitchen. Depending on how old this oven is, it may or may not require venting. If it does, it HAS to be vented. If not, ignore this part.

Now, out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? You have an oven, and you have a MW. You will end up with a double oven, and no MW. You can always put a MW on the counter, but then you lose valuable counter space. Unless you are a heavy cooker and truly need the two ovens.

Final thought: If you are doing this because you think the TDor oven will make your home nicer come sell-time, I would say no. TDor no longer has the super cachet name it had twenty years ago. Still a great product, but in terms of branding, it's been passed by Viking, Wolfe, Monogram and others.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 36,997 times
First off, my apologies for not having returned to this thread. I thought I had my settings to notify me of responses, but I didn't get any emails until this weekend. I thought it was odd that such a seemingly friendly forum didn't have any responses at all. I now know I was wrong

Well, as an update, I ended up having a carpenter remove the shelf separating the mw and oven, and lowered the bottom shelf, so that the double oven would fit. It fits nicely, and I now have a double oven in the kitchen. Luckily, the oven had it's own dedicated 40amp circuit, so I didn't have to do any rewiring.

As for the reasoning behind doing it, although TDor doesn't have the cachet it may have once had, I'm not so sure having a double oven would hurt the value of the home, come sell-time. And if I could replace the 20 yr old single oven with a much newer double oven (regardless of brand) for free - I'm still ahead of the game. True, the MW is currently taking up some counter space, but I'm leaning towards installing it at one end of the island, to get it off the counter.
Thanks for all the responses, and sorry for my failure to get back to you guys.

btw, funny you mention Wolfe, that's what he's replacing the old TDor with! Very nice stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: