Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Possible alternative and closer to Clear Lake than Galveston:

Port of Houston Authority | Cruise Information
Port of Houston Authority | Cruise Information

I don't know if they're running anything out of there but it's worth a phone call to check.
NCL has indeed cruised from the Port in the past, but isn't leaving from there today (according to the Leave From pull-down on the NCL website). I have a friend who loves NCL, esp. the freestyle dining. Hopefully once the economy improves NCL will use the terminal again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Just got back from 7 day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas. Galveston was fine to leave out of except delays due to fog and bad traffic due to Mardi Gras. I recommend to avoid trying to go out in March. Debarkation was a breeze, once we were called it was 15 minutes from leaving the ship to being on the shuttle bus. They have porters who will take your bags through the terminal to the curb for you. Overall we had a great time. We parked at the Lighthouse lot which has a shuttle to and from the terminal and if it wasn't for the traffic on the first day is just a 5 minute drive there.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Just got back from 7 day Carnival cruise to the Bahamas. Galveston was fine to leave out of except delays due to fog and bad traffic due to Mardi Gras. I recommend to avoid trying to go out in March. Debarkation was a breeze, once we were called it was 15 minutes from leaving the ship to being on the shuttle bus. They have porters who will take your bags through the terminal to the curb for you. Overall we had a great time. We parked at the Lighthouse lot which has a shuttle to and from the terminal and if it wasn't for the traffic on the first day is just a 5 minute drive there.
I'm going to assume that fog will not be an issue in July, as we are sailing out of Galveston on the 4th. Am I correct? WE have to drive to Austin and catch a flight out of there at 5:05PM - I'm hoping we get off the ship no later than 11AM. First time cruising so I am worrying just a, "Wee Bit".

Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
I believe you can tell them you have an early flight and get moved up in the queue to get off.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,357 times
Good to know, chris_ut! Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 AM

125 posts, read 204,016 times
The Port of Houston terminal is a travesty. Cruise ships don't want to use it as that means an extra hour of cruising to get to the terminal compared to Galveston. Bye bye, $81 million in taxpayer dollars. Ridiculous.

Houston Cruise Terminal Sits Empty - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBsteve View Post
The Port of Houston terminal is a travesty. Cruise ships don't want to use it as that means an extra hour of cruising to get to the terminal compared to Galveston. Bye bye, $81 million in taxpayer dollars. Ridiculous.

Houston Cruise Terminal Sits Empty - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston
Pshaw. All we have to do is spend a few million more (hey, it's not THEIR money) and we can turn it into something else that might not be used.

I remember back when they wanted to build this, there were several articles about how they had -zero- cruise lines signed up in advance. But port officials were confident once they built it, and everyone saw how beautiful it was, that the cruise lines would come a'runnin'.

This is what happens when it's not THEIR money.

Sorry to drift OT. I have cruised out of Galveston, and it's a convenient, well-designed terminal.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM

177 posts, read 425,531 times
Just came back from a 5 days cruise trip with Carnival out of Galveston and it was fantastic. It was our very first cruise trip and we enjoyed it so much so we've decided that it could be our annual vacation get away. We enjoyed everything there was to offer. It was so much fun. The food was fabulous. The room was decent. It has one king size bed and the two pull out beds for the kidos.

Maybe we have low expectations, I don't know, but we thought the money was well spent. Go on a cruise trip if you haven't gone so. You will love the food . I told my family if I lost them on the boat, just look for me in the buffet section. That's where I normally hang out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: