Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving from the east coast to Spring TX for our move. It'll take us 2 full days of driving with 4 young kids and then we'll be pulling up to an empty house at midnight our first night in town. We're thinking it might be better to stay in a hotel that first night and meet the movers the next day when it's light. The second day of driving will be the longest so we don't even have to get to Houston proper before we stop for the night. I'm sure we'll be more than ready. We had thought of stopping in Beaumont for the night, which according to GoodleMaps will give us a 1hr 45 min drive the next morning. Any recommendations will be appreciated! I don't think we want to be farther than 2 hours away from Spring and we'd like to stay near the highway. Also, don't want to get off in a bad area....some of the stories on this site about prostitutes and drug dealers near FM 1960 make my skin crawl!

Thanks for any ideas! We are super excited about our move! Oh and we'll be driving the end of May, if that makes any difference for the suggestions. BTW, does anyone know when hotel pools open in the deep south. Around here (NC) it's always after memorial day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
I'd check Hotels.com or hotwire. My wife and I did something similar, and if you don't care where in a city you stay you can get some great deals. We ended up in a Hilton for about $40 a night.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times
Plenty of hotels in Spring and in the Greenspoint area of Houston due to being close to IAH.

Anyways I have never had anything bad happen to be around that area so I would probably take those stories with a grain of salt.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Anyways I have never had anything bad happen to be around that area so I would probably take those stories with a grain of salt.
Yes, but this is the middle of the night on a Friday night. If anything is gonna happen that'll be when it does. I got off the highway in Orlando once and it was the wrong exit. It was 2am and there wasn't an entrance back on right there. That was definitely the wrong turn to take. I've never been in an area that bad before. Scared the life out of me. AND I wandered around for hours trying to figure out where I was. I definitely don't want to repeat that....especially with my babies in the car.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Yes, but this is the middle of the night on a Friday night. If anything is gonna happen that'll be when it does. I got off the highway in Orlando once and it was the wrong exit. It was 2am and there wasn't an entrance back on right there. That was definitely the wrong turn to take. I've never been in an area that bad before. Scared the life out of me. AND I wandered around for hours trying to figure out where I was. I definitely don't want to repeat that....especially with my babies in the car.
Most of those hotels will be right off the feeder/frontage road so it's not like you will be traveling through unfamiliar neighborhoods to get to them and the hotels themselves tend to have excellent security.

That being said if you are going to cross that area off your list you might also want to look at Kingwood or The Woodlands.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you. I won't be living near 1960 but we'd like to stay in Spring because my husband will be working there. He'd rather not commute. :-)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM

I am surprised I didn't mention this earlier but Humble, TX would be a good location as well (in fact much better than Kingwood) since you have a straight shot to Spring via FM 1960 plus it does not tend to have much crime issues compared with Greenspoint.

Anyways hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I am surprised I didn't mention this earlier but Humble, TX would be a good location as well (in fact much better than Kingwood) since you have a straight shot to Spring via FM 1960 plus it does not tend to have much crime issues compared with Greenspoint.

Anyways hope this helps.
Humble doesn't have much in the way of hotels. Probably better off in the Woodlands if you want a safe place right off the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston