Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM

176 posts, read 541,999 times

Advertisements

Doing some research for a possible move. I am a bit of an Urban Gal, but I have a 7 year-old who will be in public school. He is GT, but one of those rowdy, non-teacher-pleasing GT kids who needs a more non-traditional approach (or a true challenge that is not focused on increased busy work or pull-outs)....not a high achiever, just a kooky thinker.
What types of magnets are there for third grade? If we can't get into one (which I suspect is likely this late in the year), what location-based schools are good without being so focused on regimentation that I am courting a rebellion from my little non-conformist?
Much thanks! Also looking for one of the more socially liberal parts of Houston if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 AM

71 posts, read 190,346 times
For liberal look at the Heights, Meyerland, Montrose, and Westbury. Excellent elementary and middle schools.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
I just participated in a forum with one lady from HISD, very informative. She recommended looking them up in Twitter as well as Facebook, in which they often post upcoming important dates/deadlines. There are Vangard, Magnet and Community schools. She recommended that we visited the schools that were of our interest...I think first week in November they have open houses for parents to go. Also, if you get in touch with an existing parent, neighbors, they usually can give a better picture of how the school works, what to expect, etc. Even volunteering with PTO or at the school (library, etc). On HISD website all schools have a profile that will also give you an idea of the racial distribution, test scores, attendance records, etc.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Doing some research for a possible move. I am a bit of an Urban Gal, but I have a 7 year-old who will be in public school. He is GT, but one of those rowdy, non-teacher-pleasing GT kids who needs a more non-traditional approach (or a true challenge that is not focused on increased busy work or pull-outs)....not a high achiever, just a kooky thinker.
What types of magnets are there for third grade? If we can't get into one (which I suspect is likely this late in the year), what location-based schools are good without being so focused on regimentation that I am courting a rebellion from my little non-conformist?
Much thanks! Also looking for one of the more socially liberal parts of Houston if possible.
I don't know of a public school that fits the bill for you. I have a friend with a son of similar age and similar personality; she is having a tough time. She has been doing tons of research, looking for a good fit, and isn't finding it. Maybe Montessori? Wilson is a magnet montessori in Montrose. Might be a place to start.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM

houston-nomad, yeah..it's tough to find a good fit. Especially after a move to a new place. Is your friend homeschooling at the moment? It would also be very helpful for me to find out what schools she ruled out. I think they probably have very similar needs.
Right now Wilson is on a short list.. as is Kohler and Lovett (he loves music).. but I have read on greatschools that Lovett is quite rigid. Don't know without visiting.. and if she has I would love to hear her input if at all possible.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
I'll send you a message.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Alief's GT program stands head and shoulders above the regular public schools in the area. The bad news is the program is in Alief.

As for magnets, I would suggest trying to get your child on a track for HISD Rogers (elementary and middle) and then choosing the appropriate charter/magnet for high school. They are less pull out/busy work. Avoid Wharton in HISD. They tout this school as great for GT, but it really isn't.

If you are a liberal liberal (i.e. not the NIMBY type liberal) your best choices to live are Montrose and anywhere surrounding. I live in Meyerland. It's an area that's liberal to Texans, but not to those born outside of the state.

If you are from out of state, you might want to keep this in mind. When I lived in Chicago, people considered me a bit left of center. Down here, people see me as far left.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
HISD schools that may appeal to you are Twain,Poe and Roberts

Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM

I used to be a liberal liberal; now I am just a liberal; after spending too much time in more conservative areas, it got diluted. And I married a guy that's probably a moderate to me and a liberal to others. I'm from Long Island..so I am not a Texas Liberal. I am a classic NY Liberal Agnostic Jew. I did a stint in Boulder..and then ended up in Arizona and Texas. I loved East Dallas. I would probably love any large city. I am so used to my left of center being seen as far left that I pretty much figure if I ask where the die-hard liberal Texans live I figure I should fit in nicely. I'm not so far to the left that NPR doesn't annoy me from time to time.

Thank you for the magnet info folks! I will check out Twain, Poe, Roberts, Wilson...I am told Rogers is great but it is magnet only? I need to sneak in the back door on a magnet school by moving into the neighborhood. I have a feeling once he sets foot in a school he will not want to leave for Rogers next year if he made it in...he's pretty school-loyal.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,886 times
I have some of the same criteria, liberal mainly. My kids are all pretty easy going kids about school and so far I haven't had any issues. However the schools they are in now are really liberal. I'm also looking really strongly at Montrose, I just wish it wasn't so expensive! If you find any other liberal areas with great schools, please post! I looked at The Heights also, but the high school didn't seem to have that great of a rating. I have one in high school, one in middle school and one in elementary... so I have to consider everything.

One suggestion I have though, look on har.com in the areas you are thinking about. Then look at the profiles of the listing agents and try to find one that specializes in "inner loop" neighborhoods and better yet, lives in one of your preferred neighborhoods. It is invaluable to have a knowledgeable realtor!

Good luck! We are in the same boat, so I understand kinda what you are going through!

Take care,
Kris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston