Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 AM

75 posts, read 197,466 times

Advertisements

For whoever said NYC just CAN'T be safe, because you "hear about crime everyday", think about the population. NYC is the largest city in the United States with over 8 million people, of course their are crimes every day. But we could get the same crimes every 4 days and be on par with their crime stats. And the police were shocked and awed we went ten whole days (oh woo!) without a murder, so what makes people think crime isn't an every day thing around here too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Have you been to NYC in the past few years? I'll give you areas like the South Bronx or East New York, where I'm scared to even get off the train, but overall, the city is much safer than Houston---at least on paper.
yes I have, and I am telling you the middle of Manhattan is scarier than any Ward in Houston. Places like S. Bronx I didn't even care to venture.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes I have, and I am telling you the middle of Manhattan is scarier than any Ward in Houston. Places like S. Bronx I didn't even care to venture.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Really? I mean I guess this could be scary the first time...you might have a seizure, given all the lights!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
We moved to Houston from a suburb of Nashville and have only been in Houston for like 8 months and my wife says she's ready to go. Shes scared of the crime in Houston. Personally, I don't mind the crime that much as long as its scumbags dealing with scumbags but I've noticed that while in most cities it's gangs vs. gangs or whatever, In Houston there are ALOT of random crimes and there are alot of really sick crimes like the guy that stomped his babies head in..

We'll likely end up moving back to Tennessee because the wife will ultimately win but yeah, The crime is high and I've noticed there are alot of divided people in the community when it comes to hate groups and idiots like Quanell X.

Add in the corrupt cops that beat un-armed people and the ungodly traffic and well... Anyways, The crime is what it is and it's everywhere. I love Houston and will always value my time having lived here.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 AM

344 posts, read 1,187,228 times
What is it with you guys freaking out over crime?

Do you all realize that violent crime has gone down significantly in both Houston and New York?

While there have been some bumps here and there, look at the post-Katrina homicide bump, the violent crime rate in Houston is a fraction of what it was in the 80's and early 90's. Houston was the murder capital with over 700 homicides/year; and that was when Houston had a smaller population, almost the same land area, and 3,000 fewer police officers than it does today. The murder count today is a fraction of that.

America overall is a much safer place than it has been in decades. Violent crime in the country was down in 2007 by 1.8%, in '08 by 3.5%, in '09 by 4.4%, and last year by 6.2%.

The violent crime rate in Houston was down almost 8% last year.

The news media loves to scare you'all because they know that it makes you freak out and want more news. More viewers/readers means higher ratings, which means they can charge more for advertising, which means they get richer. Why let a little thing like accuracy and common sense get in the way of making money?

It may be the same way across the country, I don't know, but I worked with the local media for years and they go out of their way to make things look worse. I bitched about it a few times to reporters and always got the same answer, "reporters don't control that, it's the marketing department."

Some of you guys really need to look at this with some perspective. There has always been crime and it will always be with us. But unless some of you guys are in your 80's or 90's, crime today is much less of a problem in this country than it has ever been in your lifetimes.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...k/7420670.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/05...ix-key-reasons

Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Dang, I'm scared to move now. Houston doesn't seem like a dangerous places like everyone makes it.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM

114 posts, read 253,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
We moved to Houston from a suburb of Nashville and have only been in Houston for like 8 months and my wife says she's ready to go. Shes scared of the crime in Houston. Personally, I don't mind the crime that much as long as its scumbags dealing with scumbags but I've noticed that while in most cities it's gangs vs. gangs or whatever, In Houston there are ALOT of random crimes and there are alot of really sick crimes like the guy that stomped his babies head in..

We'll likely end up moving back to Tennessee because the wife will ultimately win but yeah, The crime is high and I've noticed there are alot of divided people in the community when it comes to hate groups and idiots like Quanell X.

Add in the corrupt cops that beat un-armed people and the ungodly traffic and well... Anyways, The crime is what it is and it's everywhere. I love Houston and will always value my time having lived here.
This is kind of funny, because Nashville's crime rate (both overall and specifically, like murder rate and robbery rate) is almost identical to Houston over the last 10 years. Houston just has more people so you have a higher number of crimes, but the rate is practically the same. Nashville's overall crime index is actually slightly higher historically.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
FDO FDO started this thread

105 posts, read 315,122 times
so, its basically who you ask and who you talk to. I believe crime in NYC is low but I was a victim at one point, so for me, its still not good enough...

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDO View Post
so, its basically who you ask and who you talk to. I believe crime in NYC is low but I was a victim at one point, so for me, its still not good enough...
Exactly. On the other hand, I have never been a victim (knock on wood) here - so it just seems like so much hype.

Someone can have their home burglarized and then hear of a co-worker having their car stolen a month later - and it will seem like Houston is simmering in crime. Others will go for decades and not even hear about anything second-hand (other than the crimes reported in the news - and think it is overexaggerated. Same thing applies to NYC.

With the media - it has always been "If it bleeds, it leads". Scaring you is their job, just like Dr Lizardo stated.

Crime can happen anywhere. No one is immune, including wealthy and body-guarded people that Bernie Maddow swindled. You greatly reduce your chances with locks, alarms and common sense. We came close to being mugged once in NYC (multiple kind strangers came to the rescue) - it was definately our stupidity that created the opportunity - we were walking in a scary area at night that I never would have ventured in the equivalent in Houston. I obviously forgot to take my common sense on vacation with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: