Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 29,850 times

Advertisements

Moranimal, Just FYI neither ethic nor diverse = lower income and crime. Houston is a large city...There are a lot of very diverse areas that are some of the nicest in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM

286 posts, read 739,738 times
Welcome to another Vermonter :-)

In addition to Midtown and Montrose, I would recommend looking at the Heights. When I first moved to Houston in 2003, I settled in this area because it most reminded me of Vermont and the culture there. It's a little quieter than Midtown/Montrose, but it's a bit ecclectic and has lots of mom & pop stores. It's all really close to all the shops/bars/restaurants in the Midtown/Montrose area. I also find it pretty walkable, especially now that we have the bike path that allows us to cross beneath I-10 to the Washington Corridor.

PM if you have any questions. Moving to Texas from Vermont was a huge adjustment for me and I wasn't sure I could survive my first summer here. Houston is a great city with a lot of opportunity and I have no doubt you'll find what you're looking for

Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM

98 posts, read 310,285 times
I have also lived in Vermont. As others have said, Houston is the polar opposite. Bring an open mind and some shorts.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 46,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranimal View Post
We are moving down from Vermont. Not my choice to move, but i'm supporting her for her education. I don't mind diversity, but I do know that the poorer neighborhoods usually have much more crime associated with them.
"poorer neighborhoods" have nothing to do with diversity? is that a joke? It seems like you're saying ethnically diverse people are associated with poor neighborhoods and therefore associated with crime. Which is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while! Could you BE anymore ignorant? I think you should welcome diversity in your life because obviously you've been deprived.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM

123 posts, read 319,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaTutu View Post
"poorer neighborhoods" have nothing to do with diversity? is that a joke? It seems like you're saying ethnically diverse people are associated with poor neighborhoods and therefore associated with crime. Which is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a while! Could you BE anymore ignorant? I think you should welcome diversity in your life because obviously you've been deprived.
No , it's a fact. You are emotional.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM

491 posts, read 886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranimal View Post
A safe neighborhood that is not very ethnically diverse would feel most like home.
I would suggest Lubbock or Amarillo.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 06-30-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaTutu View Post

You inquired about New York attitude on another thread...

Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 AM

23 posts, read 107,612 times
Emerson Courts is in Montrose. It's affordable, close to the light rail, a few miles west of UH, and full of cool people. It's at the corner of Flora and Emerson. There are a few other apt. complexes right around here that look fine.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,582,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
I would suggest Lubbock or Amarillo.
No, not even those fit. Keep lookin'.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,612 times
if you dont like diversity you will be miserable in the south. best to stay in vermont, we like other people down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston