Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston is mostly like?
Atlanta 2 5.13%
Dallas 9 23.08%
Los Angeles 16 41.03%
Miami 1 2.56%
New Orleans 1 2.56%
ALL OF THE ABOVE 3 7.69%
Other Option (Please state) 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 PM

91 posts, read 152,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

When we were in Dallas we stayed close to this place called Dallas Life which I later found out was a shelter.. Maybe we didn't spend enough time around the city but our impression of what we saw was run down.
lol Dallas Life is a converted hotel, it's a homeless shelter! You where in Oak Cliff.

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I can't believe you said that Houston is nicer than Nashville. LOL!
IMHO, It is.

I lived in Nashville for 10 years and have lived in Houston for almost a year. My wife and I went back to visit family last weekend and I was shocked by what it looked like. It wasn't how I remembered it at all. Everything looked run down and old.

Although the wife wants to move back..

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:

When we were in Dallas we stayed close to this place called Dallas Life which I later found out was a shelter.. Maybe we didn't spend enough time around the city but our impression of what we saw was run down.
Hey man, its to each his own. If Dallas wasnt your cup of tea, I cant fault you for that. I lot of people (like myself) love it and a lot dont like it at all. Its the same with any city.

Anyway, I love Houston too. I would have been just as happy there, but my wife did not like it. She prefered Dallas, so here we are. Both are great places.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Hey man, its to each his own. If Dallas wasnt your cup of tea, I cant fault you for that. I lot of people (like myself) love it and a lot dont like it at all. Its the same with any city. Anyway, I love Houston too. I would have been just as happy there, but my wife did not like it. She prefered Dallas, so here we are. Both are great places.
I feel the same way. I have no bad feelings for Dallas It just didn't fit what we were looking for at the time. I do regret not having done more touristy things while we were there..

Didn't make it to Fort Worth either..

Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston was after all the first word spoken from the moon. What does everyone know Dallas for, some stupid 80's drama series, a dead president, or a football team that never existed in their city to begin with?

When ever you watch the news down in Houston they rarely mention Dallas even when doing the weather. Its like Dallas doesn't exist to Houston & vice versa.
Once again, Metro Matt doesn't know what he's talking about. The Dallas Cowboys first stadium was the COTTON BOWL and they played there for a decade. The COTTON BOWL is in the city of Dallas.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way. I have no bad feelings for Dallas It just didn't fit what we were looking for at the time. I do regret not having done more touristy things while we were there..

Didn't make it to Fort Worth either..
Im not a native to Texas, but Ive taken a liking to the place. Probably because both my parents grew up here and I spent summers in Waco as a kid. My wife took longer, but she loves it here too. We just miss the natural beauty Southern California has. However, I have to spend the next 3 months in Sao Paulo, Brazil, so I should get my fill there.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im not a native to Texas, but Ive taken a liking to the place. Probably because both my parents grew up here and I spent summers in Waco as a kid. My wife took longer, but she loves it here too. We just miss the natural beauty Southern California has. However, I have to spend the next 3 months in Sao Paulo, Brazil, so I should get my fill there.
Does Houston look like Brazil? LOL!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
No, cant say it does. Ive only been to Sao Paulo and Rio before, but they didnt look like Houston. Sao Paulo does sprawl like crazy but, its NYC density only it goes on forever. I actually prefer places like DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and LA because, while they have their dense parts, I perfer having my own space. I lived in Chicago for a year and Tokyo for 6 months and enjoyed my experiences there, but give me a good two story house on a big lot size and let me drive to all the stuff I need to do.

Brazil is a beautiful country. Im going to make good use of my weekends there! I probably wont post much here in that time. I leave on the 5th. First stop, Liberdade for some amazing Japanese food!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:

If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was looking at Sharpstown.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
What! LOL! Sharpstown has mountains?!?!?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston