Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 30,473 times

Advertisements

I need some honest opinions about Houston... My wife and 6 kids live in a nice home in the uptown area of New Orleans. We made it through Katrina, but I don’t think we’ll make it through reconstruction. We lost our home and neighborhood in Lakeview-- it’s no place for a family right now, and it’ll will never be the same.

Uptown N.O. is too jammed up... houses are too close and parking is a nightmare, especially with teenagers in and out. But the worst thing about the area is the crime; I’ve known of too many people that have been victims of crimes. And the crime starts with the thugs in the public schools. I’ve had to put all of my kids in private schools.

There is no way to send white kids to public schools in New Orleans.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love blacks and the good side of black culture. I’m a graduate of JFK high school which was 90% black when I graduated. I’m far from a racist, but the facts are that whites are now, after Katrina, even more of a target than they use to be.

I can carve out a living in any big city, and I’m ready to move somewhere. I love New Orleans, the culture, fishing, LSU and especially the damn food. I’d like to be close enough to get fresh Louisiana seafood and an occasional dinner at Commander’s... hence, Houston the closest big city.

BUT I can’t move to another city with a growing criminal element like New Orleans. Over the last 30 years, I’ve watched the Carrolton MidCity and the old Gentilly neighborhoods of New Orleans become infested with mindless thugs. I’ve only been to Houston a few times and some areas aren’t pretty.

Is Houston just a big New Orleans? What I mean is, are once nice neighborhoods in Houston become overrun by thugs and criminals--the element? Can I find a quaint neighborhood that is close to town with good public schools and low crime? (like my old neighborhood--Lakeview) Is there such a place in Houston? Be honest!!
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,935 times
depending on your budget, your best bet will probably be suburbia. Although Houston is definitely not N.O. in terms of the culture, I'm sure that you would be very happy here re-building your lives.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 AM

107 posts, read 569,078 times
There are plenty of areas that once were great neighborhoods that have been overrun by crime, like Sharpstown and Alief. These areas actually have decent people living in the homes, who take care of their properties, but it's the apartment complexes that bring in the crime for the most part.

However, there are some great areas close in that are very diverse and safe (on big city terms, anyway). Many of them have become more and more gentrified over the years, and those are the areas that will have better schools, such as Montrose, Bellaire/Meyerland, the Braeswood neighborhoods.

I think you'd really like the Heights. This is another area that is becoming more gentrified, but it's still quite diverse, and it's a great, strong community. You didn't mention your kids' ages, but since more young families have been moving to the Heights, the area schools are starting to improve. I have friends with young kids that live there, and they feel that currently the elementary schools are improving greatly, and that the higher-level schools will also improve that much more as these young kids get older. (That is her opinion, not mine--I'm not really familiar with the schools there.) It will be a good solid investment in a home, too. Although it will be a challenge to find a home big enough for 8 people, unless you get the new (and IMO overpriced) construction. The majority of the original homes there are mostly bungalows and no larger than 2000 sf. or so.

Anyway, just throwing some thoughts out there.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM

36 posts, read 214,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill waters View Post
I need some honest opinions about Houston... My wife and 6 kids live in a nice home in the uptown area of New Orleans. We made it through Katrina, but I don’t think we’ll make it through reconstruction. We lost our home and neighborhood in Lakeview-- it’s no place for a family right now, and it’ll will never be the same.

Uptown N.O. is too jammed up... houses are too close and parking is a nightmare, especially with teenagers in and out. But the worst thing about the area is the crime; I’ve known of too many people that have been victims of crimes. And the crime starts with the thugs in the public schools. I’ve had to put all of my kids in private schools.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love blacks and the good side of black culture. I’m a graduate of JFK high school which was 90% black when I graduated. I’m far from a racist, but the facts are that whites are now, after Katrina, even more of a target than they use to be.

I can carve out a living in any big city, and I’m ready to move somewhere. I love New Orleans, the culture, fishing, LSU and especially the damn food. I’d like to be close enough to get fresh Louisiana seafood and an occasional dinner at Commander’s... hence, Houston the closest big city.

BUT I can’t move to another city with a growing criminal element like New Orleans. Over the last 30 years, I’ve watched the Carrolton MidCity and the old Gentilly neighborhoods of New Orleans become infested with mindless thugs. I’ve only been to Houston a few times and some areas aren’t pretty.

Is Houston just a big New Orleans? What I mean is, are once nice neighborhoods in Houston become overrun by thugs and criminals--the element? Can I find a quaint neighborhood that is close to town with good public schools and low crime? (like my old neighborhood--Lakeview) Is there such a place in Houston? Be honest!!
Bill
I feel your pain. My family will be moving this summer to Houston. We have taken our time to search for different areas. Our children are young so schools are important.

It depends what you really want. We will be in the suburbs and narrowed down our list.

I too am frustrated with the recovery, the incentive for me is that I work in Houston already.

If you have specific question you can send me a personal message.

Bigeasy

Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 AM

47 posts, read 262,666 times
I know how you feel, I grew up in the Lakeview/Lakefront area. I was living and teaching in St. Bernard when the storm took all of that away. We moved out to Katy, and have been happy here. My brother lives here, and we have met many New Orleans transplants here. My wife has developed a social club. The main reason we moved here is that wife got a job teaching German here in Katy, also I agree with you about the schools in New Orleans, I did not want to send my son to public schools. Katy ISD is rated as one of the best school districts in Texas. I still miss New Orleans, and still have my Saints' season tickets, but I really am starting to like Katy. Also, it is close enough for me to drive back to New Orleans. My family and I still go in for Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras. I am a huge LSU fan, and there is a bar closer to the city called Woodrow's where the LSU alumni association in Houston has set up. It is a great place to see a LSU or now a Saints' game. You can PM if you need anymore help.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:47 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,700 times
I remember reading a story in The Chronicle about a couple that moved from New Orleans to The Heights area (a bit north of Downtown) and they said it reminded them of home. It's a nice area, but there is crime in it.

Houston's ultimately a commuter town, so a lot of people move out to the suburbs and commute into town. Houston's probably about 4 times bigger than N.O. When they had The Essence Festival here, people were complaining they couldn't find their way around.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 30,473 times
Smile My Lakeview of Houston

I’ve got some more questions... please help me!

The consensus so far is that my “Lakeview of Houston” MIGHT possibly be the Heights, Montrose, Bellaire/Meyerland, the Braeswood neighborhoods. However, Premont thinks there is crime in the Heights (that’s out) What about those other neighborhoods ? are they on the edge of going bad or are they being cleaned up and revitalized? Are the homes large or small bungalows.

And Nanner, you’re right, I’ll need a big home. My home in Lakeview was 3,700 SF with 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, corner lot, plenty parking and just 5 minutes from everywhere--no more than 10 min. from the center of downtown. (that's probably not going to happen again huh?)

mcshneller mentioned Katy... how far does it take to get downtown from Katy at 8am? ayannaaaliyah and big easy, yeah... I’m not opposed to a suburban life, and maybe Houston’s suburbs are wonderful, but I’d really love to find my Lakeview.

Are there any other areas with great schools, low crime, no gangsters with homes 3,500 to 5,000 square feet that are within a 20 minute commute drive of Houston?

Are there any “tear down” areas of town... i.e. areas where smaller homes are being torn down for the lots so that much larger homes can be built?
thanks a bunch all!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:29 AM

107 posts, read 569,078 times
Quote:
mcshneller mentioned Katy... how far does it take to get downtown from Katy at 8am? ayannaaaliyah and big easy, yeah... I’m not opposed to a suburban life, and maybe Houston’s suburbs are wonderful, but I’d really love to find my Lakeview.
Katy is a horrible commute to downtown because of I-10. They're expanding it, to be finished in 2008 or 9, I think. But even driving with no traffic at full speed, it would take 35-40 minutes. (My husband works out there, and we live about 10 minutes from town--it takes me about 30 minutes to make it to his office.)

Suburban living--your best commute to downtown will be from the Kingwood/Atascocita area. A friend lives there, and her commute is about 25 to 30 minutes. Pearland is another possibility, but since this is the suburb with the most recent "boom" in construction, Hwy 288 to downtown is starting to get a lot more congested.

I don't know what your budget is like, but you could probably find a 3500 sf. house in one of the Braeswood areas. You're going to pay a LOT, though ($700K+). Out in the suburbs, you can get that kind of size for $300K+ (and cheaper, if you buy a much older home with updates needed).

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM

48 posts, read 178,858 times
Quote:

Bill
Houston, has the widest band of culture I know of, for cities.
As far as lake views, theres plenty. NC, SC and Fl have lake views also.
If you want to stay along I10, gulfport on over to jacksonville FL have alot of nice lakes, with plenty of fresh seafood. I would consider heading east, but then again ive been trying to get my wife to move from Hou since 1999 and she is winning

Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM

14 posts, read 89,034 times
Quote:
I’ve got some more questions... please help me!

The consensus so far is that my “Lakeview of Houston” MIGHT possibly be the Heights, Montrose, Bellaire/Meyerland, the Braeswood neighborhoods. However, Premont thinks there is crime in the Heights (that’s out) What about those other neighborhoods ? are they on the edge of going bad or are they being cleaned up and revitalized? Are the homes large or small bungalows.

And Nanner, you’re right, I’ll need a big home. My home in Lakeview was 3,700 SF with 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, corner lot, plenty parking and just 5 minutes from everywhere--no more than 10 min. from the center of downtown. (that's probably not going to happen again huh?)

Are there any other areas with great schools, low crime, no gangsters with homes 3,500 to 5,000 square feet that are within a 20 minute commute drive of Houston?

Are there any “tear down” areas of town... i.e. areas where smaller homes are being torn down for the lots so that much larger homes can be built?
thanks a bunch all!
Hi Bill. An area you may want to consider is West University. This is a very well established neighborhood just west of Rice University. Price of homes are from 800K and lot sizes are an average of 5000sf. There are "tear downs" however availability is getting less and less as builders are buying them for new construction. Hwy 59 is just blocks away from West U. It does get congested however, there is 2 dedicated lanes into Downtown and is usually free of traffic jams. Travel time from West U into Downtown is about 15 minutes.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-24-2007 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: fixed quote; deleted reference to sending direct message - no soliciting please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston