Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times

Advertisements

First, I would not be too quick to rule out the Heights. It is far from a high-crime or gangster area.

If you live within 20 minutes of downtown and want a big house, you will have to deal with "pocket" neighborhoods. Much like New Orleans Houston has good areas right next to bad. Suburbanites tend to have a very low tolerance for this and endure hour long commutes each way to avoid it.

You might be able to get something larger in some sections of Maplewood off of Braeswood. Possibly Braeburn Valley as well. You might also look in some of the sections of Candlelight over near Oak Forest. You can find a couple of pockets southeast in Meadowcreek Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,839 times
Just a word of advise. Master planned communities are worth investing in.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,991 times
I don't mean to put The Heights down because a lot of it's nice and I'm not an expert on it. It's just that I saw a tv news item where people were complaining about an upswing in crime in the area. They were interviewing this one couple that had an ac unit stolen. It's a pretty bold thief that comes into a neighborhood and takes a whole ac unit.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 PM

107 posts, read 569,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I don't mean to put The Heights down because a lot of it's nice and I'm not an expert on it. It's just that I saw a tv news item where people were complaining about an upswing in crime in the area. They were interviewing this one couple that had an ac unit stolen. It's a pretty bold thief that comes into a neighborhood and takes a whole ac unit.
The increase in crime there is definitely property-related crimes. It happens when an area starts revitalizing and more expensive homes are built. People with more "stuff" move in, so there's more stuff to steal.

Get a security system, a dog that likes to bark, lock your doors and windows, and use common sense. Don't put the box for your brand new flat-screen TV on the curb. That won't guarantee that something won't happen, but it will definitely lower the possibility.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
The increase in crime there is definitely property-related crimes. It happens when an area starts revitalizing and more expensive homes are built. People with more "stuff" move in, so there's more stuff to steal.

Get a security system, a dog that likes to bark, lock your doors and windows, and use common sense. Don't put the box for your brand new flat-screen TV on the curb. That won't guarantee that something won't happen, but it will definitely lower the possibility.
Nanner is right, and keep in mind that it's not just the Heights. Most neighborhoods will experience some sort of crime (property or otherwise), until such time as the criminals start receiving tougher penalities.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
A lot of great neighborhoods and a lot of good school districts to follow. Because of the size of Houston, you might want to figure out what part of town you are going to work in and try and live near there. Nice communities on all sides of town. If you have the $$ to afford it, then Memorial, West University and Southhampton are all great and in the city. If you want more home for your $$ then you might move to the suburbs. Sugarland (SW), Katy (W), Pearland (SE), Friendswood (SE) all great w/good school districts. Clear Lake, Seabrook, League City (all SE) - on Clear Lake and Galveston Bay great communities and very close-knit also has great schools. I've met a few people from NO who relocated to that area - one who opened a ballroom dance studio.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:48 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
I feel your pain. We used to live there (long ago), still have a few family members there and all went to the private schools.

Houston is so much bigger and you will have so many more options. I'd say go for it. I love N.O., it's so sad to see what happened to it. You won't find another place like it, but that doesn't mean you won't like the new place. No, Houston is not a big N.O. Everything is so different there, and the justice system here is much different.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,573 times
Houston and its surrounding cities are great. It will provide you relief from what you are experiencing in N.O. Try Pearland, SugarLand and Katy if you want South and West. Lots more exist in the N and NW areas.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM

156 posts, read 610,994 times
Default Garden Oaks

Since nobody has mentioned this little gem of a neighborhood, I'm going to tee up Garden Oaks.

This neighborhood is literally 10 blocks north of the Heights, just outside of the 610 loop, and you can get alot more house for your money. The homes in Garden Oaks are originally from the 40's and have alot of that old world charm. In the Heights, you're probably going to get a very small bungalow (less than 1,500 sq ft) on a small lot (probably 6,500 sq ft). Go 10 blocks north and you can get a 2,000+ sq.ft. house on a 14,000+ sq.ft. lot for the same money and you don't have to worry about living next to an aluminum auto body shop or a brand new 4-story townhome. I love parts of the heights, but I don't like the fact that the lack of zoning has allowed businesses in the the residential neighborhood areas.

Another neat neighborhood that is close to downtown is Timbergrove Manor. The homes in this neighborhood are typically from the 50's and have alot of character. Just be sure to check out the flood plane and be sure you get flood insurance. There are parts of this neighborhood that flooded during the very heavy flooding we had a few years back. Still would be a neighborhood I'd consider.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM

564 posts, read 2,046,167 times
I agree with Aggie Z about Garden Oaks. Cute, quaint and peaceful neighborhood only about 15 minutes or so from downtown. Although, if Bill is as nostalgic and sentimental about Lakeview, he might enjoy SW Houston (no, not the high crime, apartment-heavy SW hoods near Sharpstown, Gulfton or Fondren SW) hoods like Braeswood, Braeburn Valley, Meyerland and/or Maplewood. These are solid areas with strong HOAs, and Bellaire High School is within reach of all neighborhoods (you may even be able to access Lamar High School from, say, Braeswood).

Also, Meadowbrook in SE is pretty good, as is quaint little SE neighborhoods like Idylwood and Country Club place.

Crime in Houston isn't as bad statistically as New Orleans (though, it is very much present, just like in all big cities). A rule of thumb is that you're much better off the farther you're away from the sketchy apartment complexes that you find SW Houston or near Greenspoint, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston