Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie85 View Post

Currently, I'll be moving at the end of July/early August? Will I run into alot of problem competing with university students? I'm debating asking for an extension on my current lease and maybe moving later in the fall or early winter.
Yes, in Austin you will absolutely be competing with some of the university students for housing. Not those that pre-lease early, but with those that are late to the game and/or moving from out of state. You'd also be competing with recent grads flocking to the city. That was always my experience living there. I rented for 13 years.

You will probably have a hard time finding a single for $600 in Austin. I was lucky to find a studio in South Austin for less than that about 6 years ago but when I moved out, the rent skyrocketed to over $700. I am not sure too many opportunities around $600 exist closer in to downtown Austin. You can check craiglist just to get an idea, but keep in mind that it may not be what's available when it comes time to move.

When I moved to Houston 2 years ago, I found a cute garage apartment for $625 in The Heights (off of craiglist). It was a safe area, great neighbors, and I loved it. Had I not gotten married, I'd still be there. It just wasn't big enough for us with his long limbs.

TurtleCreek is pretty spot on as far as the strengths of the two places go. I loved living in Austin but I also love living in Houston. To be honest, I find both to be very laid back and weird (and Houston is much weirder than Austin- so there's no need to '"keep it weird"), though there are more "pockets of fancy" in Houston than in Austin with River Oaks and more cultural outing sort of opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
I concur with both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Austin is nice, the hill country is certainly beautiful, but rentals will cost you more there. I am not that big a fan of it personally. I tend to think it is over rated with too many of the shortcomings of a small town and too many problems of the big city and few of the positives of either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
To be honest, I find both to be very laid back and weird (and Houston is much weirder than Austin- so there's no need to '"keep it weird"), though there are more "pockets of fancy" in Houston than in Austin with River Oaks and more cultural outing sort of opportunities.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 PM

33 posts, read 62,067 times
Glad to hear that Houston has its own "weirdness." I've been in the suburbs for so long that I'm dying to be somewhere less cookie-cutter. I liked the idea of Austin's younger populace, but at the same time, I've outgrown the whole college scene and I'm looking for something that's older but still lively and exciting.

I still worry that Houston will be TOO old. I've always associated the city with professionals and the idea that alot of people WORK there but may not live or play there (but I am the daughter of an oil company man who was raised in Katy so my experiences with the city are limited.)

I've been playing around on meetup.com, planning what groups I'll join in order to start making friends. Houston has alot of groups with "socialite" and "young professional" in the title. And even the Montrose book club is reading Oprah book selections. Its harder to find activities and events that appeal to the subculture as opposed to the mainstream. I love the Christian, Republican, suburban, married friends that I have now. But I hear alot of "I don't know what you just said" and its getting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: