Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM

114 posts, read 253,200 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I've lived in Houston for several years, and I enjoy life here overall. However, I feel like I haven't done a very good job figuring out what fun things there are to do here that are unique to Houston. I feel like surely I'm missing out on a bunch of cool stuff :P

Don't get me wrong, I've found several things I enjoy doing (and maybe if I list some you guys can give me some ideas in the same vein...or something entirely different, all suggestions are welcome!), but in trying to figure out more stuff, I feel like I've kind of hit a bit of a wall.

Critical Mass is really fun, I've done several Sportsmonkey and YMCA basketball leagues, the midnight movie at the River Oaks theater is pretty cool, and various activities at Discovery Green have been fun (though is there one or two that are typically more enjoyable than most?). I've been to some open mic's around town, which are fun but can be pretty hit or miss (again, are there any you guys know about that are better than others?). Trivia night at the Flying Saucer is pretty entertaining, and Rockets/Astros games are always cool...zoo, museum, all great.

I know "fun" is subjective, but I'm looking forward to hearing what different people do to pass the time here in Houston. I feel like I've let myself get into a little bit of a rut, so I'm looking to try some new things to try and cure the boredom. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Millers outdoor theatre. kayaking in the bayou w a small tour group. Do neighborhood walks or architectural walks...i think some are coming up in May. Walk the underground tunnels in downtown

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM

114 posts, read 253,200 times
Those are excellent suggestions, especially the bayou and tunnels (I've always wanted to do both but have never made the time).

Does anyone have any others? Perhaps some that are more continuous, once every week or once every month-type stuff that I might be able to add to my rotation of fun things to do? Like perhaps X has Y every last Thursday of the month, etc.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
There is nothing fun here except to get drunk and FSU!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
Actually go to richs, its fun.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
Kicking in wood doors.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Texas Rock Gym, largest rock climbing gym in Texas.

Go see some music of some sort. Contrary to what snooty Austin-people say about Houston, we actually have tons of many different sorts. Of course, we are known for rap and we have a huge, very active scene...

Make music? If you play music there are several different open music events that happen regularly in Houston, from folk string-pickin circles to drum circles to open mics... or take up a class

Some (maybe just MFAH?) of the museums are free on Thursdays.

First Saturday thing in the Heights

Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Check the Houston Press - Houston Entertainment Guide

Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Winter Street Studio thing is pretty cool. If you like art and free food anyway.....

Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
there are a ton of festivals that are in houston. i prefer the ones related to art, food, beer, music, and culture fests

go take a trip to the San Jacinto monument. learn a bit about the battle for Texas Independence. take the elevator to the top of the tower

take a trip to emancipation park. but much of a park but coupled with a tour of Freedman's Town this is really interesting and important era in US and Houston history

go to the lesser known art collections/galleries, orange show, art car museum, project row houses

take a food tour of houston. some of the chefs used to lead a tour but you don't need this

ice skate at the galleria

go to the new Sundance movie theater

take a trip to galveston, tour the historic homes, shop/walk the strand, visit moody garden

i like the kayak houston suggestion

there are several state parks in the houston area. some are really cool and offer some good walking/scenery

visit the Irma Hogg house/bayou bend gardens and houston arboretum

jog/walk/bike memorial park or play frisbee gulf along memorial parkway

i haven't been to kemah in maybe 12 years but i have heard it is more happening now.

rent a charter off kemah or galveston for some fishing in the deep gulf

Visit Rothko chapel if you haven't already. Visit the Byzantine chapel nearby before it is dismantled and returned (happening shortly)

take some gardening classes through Urban Harvest (may not be interesting for everyone)

Last edited by testmo; 01-01-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston