Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM

87 posts, read 399,276 times

Advertisements

Since I am dealing with high-soil in some parts of my house that I bought (an older home) how does this happen? Excluding foundation issues, does it mean that a house has sunk down or that just throughout the years that soil moves around? How does this happen. We plan to move the high soil and get some good drainage system going, but just wondering........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Through the years it just gets there. Initial grading was incorrect, landscaping by homeowner, soil compaction. Trees cut down by builder eventually decay, ground sinks. The professional landscaper hired by my neighbor piled soil so high it covered the weep holes and water came into his house. Changes in thought. In the olden days, they told us to expose 3 inches of the slab, now it is 6 inches.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Thanks Crone, I have so much to learn about older homes....... and all these things are good to know. I went from new construction to older construction so the issues between both are different.
I definately want to get the soil lower all around the high areas, specially like you mentioned to avoid water through the weep holes.........its wierd how only one side of this house has weep holes though..........the rest of the house does not have any.......I also know this can be an issue but I think at this point messing with it will probably make the situation worse. Suddenly I am having buyers regret.......or remorse........I keep telling myself all will be ok.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,888 times
If the driveway was repaired at some point then the house probably sank

Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
We have bought and sold 13 houses, 2 of which were new. We rented another 10. We prefer houses built in 1916 or 1952 to new construction. Especially in Texas. It is all a learning process.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Wow Crone! this is my second home so far........its a 70's home we shall see how much I learn from it......... specially for a non handy person like me :-/

Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM

799 posts, read 2,442,104 times
My last house was built in 1979. I had drainage issues. I finally had a tiny amount of water come in the house after a really bad rain. There wasnt any damage, past pulling some carpet up to dry and replacing laminate wood with real wood in the living room. No mold, got lucky by cleaning up fast. I hired a contractor buddy to come regrade the back yard. They took out a dumpster truck load of dirt.

When I went to sell the house, the buyer wanted even more done. I split the cost to have another contractor come in and take out more dirt, and put in drains.

Dirt high up on a house is now something I take very seriously. Everybody(seller) tries to shrug it off. It is a big deal.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah I did not realize it was such a big deal............I should have looked into this before I bought the home, I just never paid attention to these type issues........live and learn I guess.......

How much did you pay for services when they regraded your yard?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM

799 posts, read 2,442,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
Yeah I did not realize it was such a big deal............I should have looked into this before I bought the home, I just never paid attention to these type issues........live and learn I guess.......

How much did you pay for services when they regraded your yard?
I want to say I paid the first guy(poker buddy) $1000. The second one was more expensive, but I only covered half, and that was rebated to the buyer through closing.

I had a fairly small backyard(big corner lot, small in the back) though, so YMMV.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Well we shall see what solution we come up with........eek hate home issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: