Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,412 times

Advertisements

Hi people from Houston. I was gathering data from your city about temperature and I got shocked when I read the numbers at screen. Was that true you starred 21ºF on Feb. 2nd? Did you get any snow? How cold was that for you, Are you used to?

If you know about any local newspaper website, please gmme its link for me to serch on. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,096 times
We expected snow but got ice instead. I thought this year was pretty mild winter. It was cold for a few days during that storm but nothing unbearable.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Yeah that was quite unpleasant. We're used to a few days in the 30s every year, but it usually warms up quickly and doesn't stay frikin cold for several days. I have a hard time with the cold, so the 20s was rough on me. I'll take the hot, humid summers over that any day.

The local paper here is chron.com for the Houston Chronicle. You can also search on the Galveston County News online since that newspaper also covers part of the Houston metro.

My girlfriend's best friend, and her parents are from São Paulo

Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
We expected snow but got ice instead. I thought this year was pretty mild winter. It was cold for a few days during that storm but nothing unbearable.
That sounds bone chilling!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,412 times
You know, I'm still pretty curious about how fastly climate conditions change on your country. Is there any sight in the sky that you see and can figure it out about any cold front drawning nearer? I mean besides weather report obviously. Just for you to compair, here in Brazil when there's a cold front getting near us, we know that climate is going to change. The day before, always give us more clues of that:
One Day Before:
- It's a day warmer than normal;
-Wind speeds up from southwest;
-cirrus and cirruscumulus come up in the sky;

Coldfront breaking shock day:
-Cumulusnimbus clouds;
-Heavy rain on isolated locations
-General rain at the end of the day

One day after:
- Light rain through all day long
-change of wind direction
-sky cleaning up through the night
-Decrease of temperatures

2 days after:
-Chilling early morning
-cleaned out sky

That's how a typical winter cold front hits São Paulo. Does the same thing happens to Houston?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM

171 posts, read 414,359 times
Pretty much sOunds like a cold front here. Wind directions may be different though.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Houston forecast: Cold front drops temperatures Wednesday | khou.com | khou.com Local News

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM

41 posts, read 99,351 times
If you are used to warm and even hot temperatures for most time of the year then a few days with temperatures just around the freezing point will feel to you like an arctic cold.
Last winter season was really unusual cold and long. I'm living here since 1991 and for most of the past years we used to have a few cold days with temperatures dropping down to or even a little below freezing but last winter topped everything.
Although we did not see any snow, we had to deal with ice which has caused many many accidents to happen within only one day.
Concerning gardening, we have lost many of our plants that could not take such low temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston